cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking spot in OR between Portland & Yellowstone

smitty23
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a boondocking spot, hopefully about halfway between portland & yellowstone, on the eastern edge of Oregon. But not too far off the highway as it is just a place to stop for the evening before continuing towards multnomah falls and then portland. A spot on a river or creek would be great but not a necessity. I have looked but do not see any national forest on the way that don't seem quite a bit out of our way(limited time and trying to make the most of it)

If nothing fits that criteria I'm considering taking the northern way there and stopping at Lolo NF (in MT)for the night. Anyone ever boondocked there?

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

smitty23
Explorer
Explorer
thanks very much tuc!
Have you happened to fish any of them?

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
At Exit 252 is Hilgard Junction State Park, right next to I84. Pay park, some road noise, but right on the Grande Ronde River.

Just before that (going east!), if you get off at Exit 248, is Forest Road 21. About 2-4 miles on that road are a fair amount of dispersed campsites easily accessed. There is also a small, no charge, Nat Forest campground, Spring Creek. Small, but you could get in there easily. Next to (!!) Spring Creek!! One item of note, is that this area is also used by a lot of ATV enthusiasts, esp on weekends, and could be noisy.

Near Ontario, is Farewell Bend State Park, nice, clean, sometimes very busy!! Again pay stop. Never have seen them, but there are supposed be some boondocking spots along the Snake River in the area of Exit 356 along hwy 201. Just dirt or gravel spots next to river. Can be see on Google Earth.

Those are the ones I'm familiar with along your route. As to Lolo along Hwy 12, there are a few non NF areas, not many, and you have to be real aware of them or you'll fly right by with a poor chance of being able to turn around!! There are some very nice NF campgrounds along the hwy though.

Rereading your orig post, I see that you will be heading west, so just reverse my Oregon spots itinerary-wise!!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

smitty23
Explorer
Explorer
Will likely come in on i84. Longest vehicle is 19ft....no trailers/RVs. AWD express van and suvs with rooftop tents.

La grande would be doable. What is the name of the park?

Thanks

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
What is your planned route?? Only on I84, or along hwy 26?? Also, what rig +/or length??
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
That part of the country is a lot of private farm land. So access is very limited. If your coming on I84 there are a lot of places from Ontario on. There is an area just north of LaGrande that has a decent small park plus a secondary road west that might aford a place for the night.

smitty23
Explorer
Explorer
hi donn it will be early to mid august next year

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Time of year your considering?