cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

California State park without reservations

maxum1989
Explorer II
Explorer II
After searching through the California State park camping sites they make it sound like without reservations you would be turned away, even if there are spaces available. Is this really the case? Would they actually turn a drive up away if they had available sites to offer? Are the California parks that busy year round that reservations are required even midweek in the off peak season. I'm thinking mid March and only mid week days.
2008 Chevy 2500hd Duramax/Allison
2006 Wildcat 27 bhwb
2009 Lance 830 *Sold*
2011 Northern Lite 8.5 *Sold*
6 REPLIES 6

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Joshua Tree has no hook ups and I'd be suprised if you couldn't find a space during mid week, now the wk end might be a different story.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
You may get lucky with the inland camping. Joshua Tree is a Federal camp with almost 500 spots but Spring is popular with rock climbing so it can still fill but I think you have a good shot mid week.

Silverwood says 62 out of 132 available that week. That is about the best shot is to see what there is a few days before. Save the search for quick reference updates on the road. Or get the phone numbers together and call the day before to see what is available.

maxum1989
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the quick responses. Let me be more specific to see if you think these parks would be full when I would like to stop in. None if these would be on a weekend and all would be mid March. Joshua Tree, Silverwood Lake SRA, Red Rock Canyon(drive ups available here), Millerton SRA. I will be driving to and from the Pacific Northwest to Phoenix for the Nascar race on March 15 and was hoping to have a not too set drive plan in place and just stop wherever and whenever. Is this even possible at California Parks?

Also, each stop would only be for one night.
2008 Chevy 2500hd Duramax/Allison
2006 Wildcat 27 bhwb
2009 Lance 830 *Sold*
2011 Northern Lite 8.5 *Sold*

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Since anyone may make a reservation within 2-days of wanting to stay ( non busy season), then a walk up may only be guaranteed 1 night. We will see that often with a placard on the site post saying one night only.

They do have enroute ability at some state parks. You can visit the state park web site to see a listing.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
It may look like spots are available but they are paid for. Otherwise yes they will take walk ups if there is truely space available. But don't think you can just drive in and park unless there is a list of open sites. Yes many campgrounds are booked solid 365 days a year. Some offer en-route camping where you can park in the overflow day use parking for the night and then wait in line in the morning and hope for a cancellation. Be early because you will not be alone.

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
YES. Depending on the park most find nothing available without a reservation. Especially parks in destination areas, the beach, the mountains, rivers. You may find spots in less traveled areas, like the deserts and some of the inland historic parks. There are just too few sites and too many campers. We do not even try to use the State park system, rather we prefer to frequent the many private campgrounds in destination areas. With the new fees the State charges for campsites the private parks have become extremely competitive.
Happy Trails.