pxt
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone recommend a campground in Cape cod? TY
17 REPLIES 17

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Okay, it took me a few days to remember to do this, but I did take a ride over to Scusset today and the report is...

They will open half the sites on July 1st and the rest on August 1st. The sites will all have 20/30/50 amps. The woman taking reservations said "good luck".
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
While I can appreciate want a low price , One of the things I remembered about Scusset is the price was ridiculously low if that is possible.
Hopefully the increase revenue will allow funds to better maintain the park.
Scussett is a real gem.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

otis-agnes
Explorer
Explorer
We go to Scusset and love sitting on the canal watching the boats and fishermen. Be aware that the price has doubled (they're trying to get back some of the $ it cost for the new electric)... it's now $34 a night. Agnes
Otis, Agnes and Penny & Twinkie (our rescue pups)
2018 Grey Wolf 23MK
2019 Ford F250

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
We took a ride through Scussett on Sunday. The power poles have been installed for all but the 3 rows closest to the beach parking lot. They have done a LOT of electrical work for sure! All of the wiring and cement pads are in for the remaining sites, so they are nearly ready to install the power poles. Those three rows will be the August 1 opening and the rest will likely be July 1. Based on where they are now, I can't imagine they will have any issues meeting those dates.

It was eerie driving through there on Memorial Day weekend and seeing it empty. If it weren't for all the construction, it would have looked abandoned, since they haven't even mowed the grass.......
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
It looks like enough people are interested in Scusset I may just take a ride over there and find out what's really going on. It's a 10 minute ride from my house. I'll report my findings later today.
Jerry & Jeanne

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Mich F wrote:
Lantley wrote:
I went to Scusset beach a few years ago. Great place however I understand it is going through some renovations and there was a major issue with electric at the park. I'm not sure of its current status.

According to the link provided by Dave & Jeanette they are doing major renovations, and the campground will reopen in phases.

Thanks for the link . Good info

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
A recent thread on the subject

Click THIS
Jerry & Jeanne

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at Sweetwater Forest in Brewster a few times. It's a full hookup cg close to Nickerson SP.
Beach camping is allowed on the National Seashore (Race Point) IF you have a self-contained camper and meet a few other requirements. No trailers though.
You can get a beach driving permit, but you need a 4X4, minimum tire size (including spare), tow strap, jack, and a few more bits and pieces. Air down your tires, drive out, and grab a piece of beach for the day. It cost us $50 for a week-long permit.
Take your bikes, the Cape Cod Rail Trail is a paved multi-use trail on an old railbed. Pedal out and take a break at Arnolds.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
I went to Scusset beach a few years ago. Great place however I understand it is going through some renovations and there was a major issue with electric at the park. I'm not sure of its current status.

According to the link provided by Dave & Jeanette they are doing major renovations, and the campground will reopen in phases.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
You see rv's in most parts of Nickerson, it's a pretty big park. I've seen all sizes of RV's there, if anything, height may be an issue. Yes they have a dump station, boat rentals in one of the ponds too. It does fill up, especially weekends so I'd suggest reservations.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
pxt wrote:
Is Nickerson state park a tent only?

I just checked Reserve America and it looks like they allow RVs, but there aren't any hook ups. It says there is a dump station. I don't know what their length limits are (Res. America doesn't seem to be working very well for me right now). One site I saw had a 35' length limit.
I remember as a kid camping there a number of times in tents (oh so many years ago). It was (an probably still is)a beautiful campground.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Dave_Jeanette
Explorer
Explorer
I believe Scussett Beach State Park is now taking reservations again and will be opening on 7/1.
Info on park

It is right on the canal and has a short walk from your campsite to the beach. Sites have electric and water only. Dump station is available.
2015 Ford F350 CC DRW 6.7L PS Diesel
2016 Grand Design Solitude 379FL

pxt
Explorer
Explorer
Any campgrounds on the beach?