cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campground Near Loretto, PA (Altoona / Johnstown)

Jnbaun
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading out to visit St. Francis University in Loretto, PA in a few weeks and I need to find a campground close by. Loretto is kind of in between Altoona and Johnstown, PA.
State parks are out since we're bringing the dog.
Thanks for any help provided.
John :C
Wife - Renee:R and 2 young men: ages 24 and 19
9 REPLIES 9

Jnbaun
Explorer
Explorer
I'll take a look at the state parks but every time I've checked in the past I find that the pet loops are booked up months in advance.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

mikhen
Explorer
Explorer
Most Pa State Parks allow dogs. Most even have pet loops. Click here to find more info.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Most Pa state parks allow dogs in certain loops of the campground.When we were in the area,we stayed at Friendship Village near Bedford.

Jnbaun
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. It looks like Wright's Orchard is the winner.

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
I'm very familiar with this area.

Woodlands CG is a dump. Don't believe the photos on their website. I've driven thru.

I recommend Wright's Orchard Station Campground in Duncansville, PA. 22 mile drive to Loretto mostly 4 lane divided highway.

http://www.wrightscampground.com/

I could get you a lot where I park my motorhome, in Shelocta, PA, but that would be a 42 mile drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5DRxQ_eMdQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCDjUzkse_E

-Tom
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some public parks in the area (I won't include the state parks):

Duman Lake Co Park
Total sites: 6, RV sites: 6, Elec sites: 6, Water at site, RV Dump, Showers, Open Apr-Oct, Elev: 1740', Tel: 814-472-8514, Nearest town: Nicktown

Nanty Glo Municipal Authority Pool and Park. Has electric hookups, a dump station, pay showers for $20. Looks like it closes right after Labor Day, however.
Elev: 1850', Nearest town: Nanty Glo

Quemahoning Family RA - TMWC
Total sites: 63, RV sites: 23, Central Water, RV Dump, Showers, RV Fee: $25, Tent Fee: $20, Elev: 1645', Tel: 814.233.9512, Nearest town: Jennerstown (This is south of Johnstown, so probably not a great option).

This information is from the Pennsylvania page of The Ultimate US Public Campground Project.

Ted H.
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

Joe_in_Texas
Explorer
Explorer
Check with some church camps. It is off season and some of them have RV sites. I found one in Hooversville (Somerset County) when I was think of coming to Johnstown for a month.

Joe_in_Texas
Explorer
Explorer
Just east of Ebensburg (Mundays Corner) is a campground. I believe the name is Woodlands.

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Woodland Park near Ebensburg is probably your best bet. Most everything else nearby are state parks.
Clicky
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU