cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping at Sturgis

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning our first ever trip to Sturgis Bike Week in 2017. Yes we are planning it that far out.

If you have been within the past 10 years please let me know where you stayed and let me know the good and the bad about that place.

Who we are: 4 people in their 50s

Equipment: 37' Gasser towing a bike trailer.

What we are looking for: Some action within the campground but not a total party place. We would like a place that actually allows people to sleep at night. It would be great if they offer a shuttle to area attractions like the Chip or the Throttle (if it reopens). We also plan to ride a bunch when there so a campground that you can get in and out of would be great.

The place must have at least 30 amp but 50 would be preferred. Sewerage hook up at the site would be super.
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser
27 REPLIES 27

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I guess it depends how close you want to be.We stayed at Rafter J Bar near Hill City.It is a very nice campground with different camping sections,all full hookups.We stayed in the second last site in the lower Ranch Camp section.The site was really secluded.They have a pool,hot tub,a camp store that sells beer and other supplies. You are about an hour from Sturgis,but you are close to Mt Rushmore and Custer State Park.I really suggest you do the Wildlife Loop and Iron Mtn Highway in Custer.They are great rides.

Not applicable
Anything in deadwood. Prepare to pay. Most parks get quiet at night because people are in town gambling. Sturgis is a little louder. The cheapest and dirtiest is days of 76.

chipw
Explorer
Explorer
We were there this year for the 75th. Our first time there. We stayed at Shade Valley and couldn't have picked a quieter cleaner spot i don't think. We are not heavy partiers by any means so this was perfect for us. They have everything you need right there. FHU, a saloon and food, plus nightly bands good entertainment just not the big names. The only downside i could see is that you have to ride thru everything to get to the campgrounds which during this year took at least 2 hours during peak times as it is about 8 miles past the chip which is why it is nice and peaceful. Had a great time and am blessed i got to experience all the area has to offer. Probably wont do it again but it sure was fun to do at least once.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Because some people are willing to pay it. :R

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
Most campgrounds are around $600 for the week of bike week. I found one that was $1500 and they have no bands or any entertainment. How do they justify being more than twice the normal amount?
Magilla

AuntSmurf
Explorer
Explorer
We've been workcamping at Beaver Lake Campground outside of Custer this summer. Beautiful campground. They have everything from tent sites to full hook ups, including 4 types of cabins. Large sites. They don't gouge you for Sturgis week! Quiet time is enforced, so you will get your sleep. ๐Ÿ™‚ A lot of people book for the next year before they leave.

JupiterRT
Explorer
Explorer
The ATF/NRT finished their investigation announced two days ago that the fire at FTS was accidental...caused by electrical issue.

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Very good.

I was there last September, (no bikes) and was pleasantly surprised to find electrical hookups everywhere. I sidled up to a pedestal in a large market parking lot and had a very pleasant and free overnight.

There a lot of 110AC outlets Up North in many parking lots for engine block heaters. Good advise!

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
We stay at Glencoe-- FHU, lots to do in the CG and a short ride (2-3 miles) to Main St, an easy walk to Full Throttle.
Edit- it is an easy walk to where the Full Throttle used to be !
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like the song said...."Make an ugly woman your wife........"
Puma 30RKSS

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
We stayed at Heartland in Hermosa south of Rapid City in 2012. They advertised it as the best RV park you've ever stayed at, but it wasn't by a long shot. Still, it was OK and far enough from Sturgis to maintain sanity.

I will never stay at Buffalo Chip again: a thousand too many drunk morons shouted "Show me your ****" to my wife.

Well don't leave us guessing, did she?
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
We stayed at Heartland in Hermosa south of Rapid City in 2012. They advertised it as the best RV park you've ever stayed at, but it wasn't by a long shot. Still, it was OK and far enough from Sturgis to maintain sanity.

I will never stay at Buffalo Chip again: a thousand too many drunk morons shouted "Show me your ****" to my wife.

kevinbti
Explorer
Explorer
had to laugh over this comment that was posted
cause of the fire and his insurance is not going to pay until a cause is found

As an investigator for an insurance company there are so many red flags on that loss I have been watching it closely to see if it gets resolved

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
The Buffalo Chip and TFS are too big, crowded and noisy for us. We will want to go see them but wont want to stay there. I found a bunch of campgrounds near by but I am hoping that someone on here has been to some of them and can give an actual first hand account on what it was like.
Magilla