Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping Options for Disney World

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I wrote this post up:
Campground Options for Disney World in Florida

I'm curious, what parks would you add to this list?
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page
11 REPLIES 11

jabres
Explorer II
Explorer II
Orlando SE / Lake Whippoorwill KOA- I second this. Just stayed here last week. Tight spaces, but otherwise gorgeous park!! The pool, hot tub, view of the lake, lights around the park at night, and quiet as a whistle, to give you a break from the rat race of Disney, but still close enough.

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Lake Louisa SP near Clermont is very nice. Built in a former orange grove. I have to agree though, camping at the Fort is expensive but there is nothing like it. Go a couple of times a year.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
With that all being said, my ultimate trip to Florida would include The Fort for a couple of weeks and then spend a month or two visiting the TT Parks available to see other sights. Of course, I'd get an annual Passport too! When I hit the lottery, I'll make this trip..LOL

Heh, that's basically what we do for winters! Well, minus the multiple weeks at the Fort. I'm lucky to get a week in. Only did 1 week in 2018 and none in 2017.
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll do you one better...we tent camped at the Fort about 25 years ago and I still rave about it. There is No better place.

With that all being said, my ultimate trip to Florida would include The Fort for a couple of weeks and then spend a month or two visiting the TT Parks available to see other sights. Of course, I'd get an annual Passport too! When I hit the lottery, I'll make this trip..LOL
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
I wrote this post up:
Campground Options for Disney World in Florida

I'm curious, what parks would you add to this list?

I would add this one Orlando SE / Lake Whippoorwill KOA - 25 miles
to the main gate - If all others closer booked a good choice - we stayed there last year
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:

NOW- the kicker is getting reservations are getting harder and harder.

Boy, you said it. We have reservations( made them this Dec.) for Dec 2019 and almost could not get in. It took a lot of checking and adjusting to get it to work.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
2edgesword has said just what I wanted to say, only better. Why would you even think about spending a bunch on money going to Disney World then stay at an ordinary campground?

We're probably the odd duck, but with annual passes - we can actually do a Disney trip pretty cheaply. Especially if we do the Thousand Trails or Trails Collections parks. Eat breakfast at the camper, pack a lunch, and then buy dinner out (or vice versa with lunch).

It lets us play at the parks more often.

But for a big trip from elsewhere, I completely agree. I love Fort Wilderness and all that Disney has to offer.

NOW- the kicker is getting reservations are getting harder and harder.

powellmj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Completely agree with 2edgesword. Have stayed at Ft. Wilderness over 20 times and never had any regrets. And that was starting in a tiny, tiny camper many years ago to a Class A and now a 5th wheeler. Does not matter what you have, it all fits better at the fort..

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
2edgesword has said just what I wanted to say, only better. Why would you even think about spending a bunch on money going to Disney World then stay at an ordinary campground?
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Strictly my opinion.

In my mind there is no amount of savings that can make up for the convenience of staying at Ft. Wilderness if the camping vacation is to visit the Disney theme parks. You set-up your RV, park your tow vehicle and you're a free Disney bus ride away from every attraction with early admittance to some of the parks and other perks that come with staying at Ft. Wilderness.

Maybe if these other campgrounds offered free transportation to and from the parks on a somewhat regular basis I'd consider it but even with that I don't think there is a way they could match the convenience of being on a Disney property.

On the other hand if Disney is just one of the things you'll be doing while in that area of Florida then one of these other campgrounds might be a good, cost saving alternative. If I was doing two days at Disney, then going to Universal for a couple of days then on to Sea World it would make the other campgrounds more attractive.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great info( we are TT members). One if these days, we are going cross country just to stay in/around/near Disney World. Having stayed at the Fort once many years ago, that is and was a Great time albeit costly. Love it just the same.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)