cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carrabelle, FL

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
Tomorrow we're driving from Dothan to Carrabelle and we're wondering about the route. Both Google maps and Garmin GPS take us down County Road 67 from Telogia to Carrabelle. Is that road okay for a motorhome towing a car? Also, we've never been to this part of Florida before so any suggestions about the restaurants or "must sees" would be appreciated. We're only going to be there two days so we'll only have time for the highlights on this trip. Thanks for your help.

Tracy
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer
10 REPLIES 10

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We wandered into the Owl Cafe in Apalachicola and had a wonderful lunch. Highly recommend you eat there. The town's waterfront nearby is nice for strolling and photos.

I guess you already know that Carrabelle has the world's smallest police station (a phone booth downtown.)

Nice area! We need to go back.

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the information about the route options. I guess we'll avoid 67 just to be safe. We may take the coastal route since it is probably more scenic. Thanks again for all the help. It's greatly appreciated.

Tracy
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

longtom1951
Explorer
Explorer
We spent 6 days at Port St. Joe SP last April and left there, and then headed to Apalahicola. We had lunch at the Seafood Grill, right on the main drag. There was room to park a Class C rig right around the corner from the restaurant and you can walk thru the old part of town where there was once the old sponge exchange area. The restaurant was built in 1904 and the food was great.

Dave_s_Wife
Explorer
Explorer
We came that way in December with our 5th wheel. Nice route not fast as there are farms and ranches but not to worry no overpasses/underpasses. Everyone who suggested the coastal ride is probably more knowledgeable than myself but that's the route and it wasn't bad. Our destination was Ochlocknee state park, then we took day trips to Carrabelle and St. George Island. Would love to go back to St George and spend some time.

Sheila aka...
Dave's Wife
2003 29 ft. Holiday Rambler Alumascape 5th wheel
'03 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
Dave & Me

captbru
Explorer
Explorer

captbru
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the route suggest by wannavolunteerFT. This drive is worth taking along the coast. You won't have any problems with the roads. We have taken these routes before.

Things to do I would suggest back tracking west on HWY 98 About 24 miles in your toad. Head over to St George Island and Apalachicola. As you head out to St George Island just before crossing the bridge on the left the Apalachicola Environmental Education ad Training Center. Very interesting place.

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/apalachicola/education/center.htm

Enjoy the trip and have fun.

mustard
Explorer
Explorer
Use Hiway 65 not 67. 65 is an authorized truck route.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Hikerdogs wrote:
Tomorrow we're driving from Dothan to Carrabelle and we're wondering about the route. Both Google maps and Garmin GPS take us down County Road 67 from Telogia to Carrabelle. Is that road okay for a motorhome towing a car? Also, we've never been to this part of Florida before so any suggestions about the restaurants or "must sees" would be appreciated. We're only going to be there two days so we'll only have time for the highlights on this trip. Thanks for your help.

Tracy

Not sure what your height is, but if I was not consulting a Trucker's Atlas, or did not use a Rand RV GPS that had my height, length, and width programed in, I would be a little nervous about taking off down a "County" road.

What if you miss that sign that says "Height Limit 12'2" and you are 13' tall? It wouldn't be the first time some idiot stole a road sign for their man cave or garage.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
This situation is typical of those where a `truck' option would be good for the GPS to determine the route. My present Garmin does not have it and I'm considering buying another one that does; Garmin RV 760LMT.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I would go down 231 to Marianna, then take 71 to Port Saint Joe, and then follow 98 around the coast to Carabelle.

I am not sure what you want to do, but Carabelle (in fact that whole area of FL) is very rural and a bit laid back. I don't think there are any chains of any kind from Port St Joe around past Panacea. Lots of local owned places, but not many formal upscale places. Marianna and Tallahassee are where you will find large grocery stores and city amenities.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS