cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cataloochee campground Smokey Mountains NP

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
For those that have been there; how accessible is this campground with a 28' TT? Some of my research seems to indicate there is a section of road that might be questionable.
8 REPLIES 8

Dante04SRT
Explorer
Explorer
Dang. After reading these comments, I'm deflated. We booked a site at Cataloochee for this coming weekend (even said it was ~60 feet long, perfect for our TV/TT). I had been reading about the road in and am bummed out now... I don't want to risk damage to our 27' TT but I really want to check this campground out.

wanderingdawgs
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with everyone else. I would not take my camper there. We liked Creekwook farm Rv park in Waynesville. It was very close to the road to Cataloochee Valley. I posted about it Cataloochee Valley in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Beth and Henry
2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD/CC/DA
2006 Titanium 29E34TS
wanderingdawgs.com

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
We've camped there several times in our 19' Scamp and have seen larger rigs in the campground. The primary access is by the eleven mile Cove Creek Road of which roughly three miles is unpaved. Its a winding, narrow. mountain road and some of the dirt sections are wide enough for only a single vehicle.

My suggestion would be to make alternate camping arrangements for this trip but take your car or truck without the camper and visit the Valley. Then make your own decision as to whether or not you'd feel comfortable towing a rig the size of yours to the campground. If you make the trip in, you may notice most of the 'veterans' will toot their horn a couple of times as they approach each blind curve. Enjoy your visit, its a beautiful area.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. Guess I will use another campground for base.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've been there a few times in the toad.... I agree with the above posts, I would not take an RV on those roads... bad enough in the toad.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
kyhawk wrote:
We were there in March on a day trip from Maggie Valley NC and my wife and I neither one could believe anyone would take a camper over that road. It has a gravel section with sharp curves and no shoulders, very steep grades, and is too narrow in places for two cars to pass each other. My DW was scared even though we were in an SUV. You can get there from the Tennessee side, but I don't remember that road being much better.The CG is nice enough and the Valley was fun, especially seeing the elk herd, but I wouldn't want to take a camper there.

I agree. I was there in late April. The road from the Blue Ridge Parkway is very narrow and winding, dirt and very little gravel, one lane only in many places. NOT the place for a trailer. The road over from Cosby is not much better, and much longer, according to some friends who recently came through.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

dccamper
Explorer
Explorer
I've been there a few times over the years. I would not take my 28' camper in there. Maggie Valley has several nice campgrounds which would be a good base for the area. It's about 20 miles over the mountain to Cataloochee.

kyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
We were there in March on a day trip from Maggie Valley NC and my wife and I neither one could believe anyone would take a camper over that road. It has a gravel section with sharp curves and no shoulders, very steep grades, and is too narrow in places for two cars to pass each other. My DW was scared even though we were in an SUV. You can get there from the Tennessee side, but I don't remember that road being much better.The CG is nice enough and the Valley was fun, especially seeing the elk herd, but I wouldn't want to take a camper there.
Janet & Ralph
2008 Winnebago Aspect 26A
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid