Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cheyenne Frontier Days this July?

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy (or is it Howdy, pat'ner!?)

We are thinking about visiting Cheyenne Frontier Days the end of July for a day or 2. Never been there before - looks like a HUGE event! Can anyone offer some insight - best shows/exhibits to see, best days to visit, worth trying to camp near there/etc?

Have family in Denver area where we can driveway camp - so a day trip is a possibility if needed. Hoping some other travelers have visited the show and could share some of the good stuff with us!

Thanks in advance!

New Hampshire Yankees who have cowboy hats... ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's
6 REPLIES 6

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pets are not allowed at CFD. Service Dogs are allowed.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Corky12 wrote:
WyoTraveler wrote:
Check before hand if you have a pet. Heard they are very anti pet.

Did you read Thom02099's post? Heat, noise, crowds, then throw in horses and cattle on the parade routes. Why would you subject your pet to that? Maybe the organizers know something. Dogs are not appropriate everywhere.

x2, Some things are obvious but some folks are oblivious
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Corky12
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:

Did you read Thom02099's post? Heat, noise, crowds, then throw in horses and cattle on the parade routes. Why would you subject your pet to that? Maybe the organizers know something. Dogs are not appropriate everywhere.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
loggenrock wrote:
Howdy (or is it Howdy, pat'ner!?)

We are thinking about visiting Cheyenne Frontier Days the end of July for a day or 2. Never been there before - looks like a HUGE event! Can anyone offer some insight - best shows/exhibits to see, best days to visit, worth trying to camp near there/etc?

Have family in Denver area where we can driveway camp - so a day trip is a possibility if needed. Hoping some other travelers have visited the show and could share some of the good stuff with us!

Thanks in advance!

New Hampshire Yankees who have cowboy hats... ST

We go to CFD every year, and have done so for a lot of years. Catch a couple of concerts each year, some rodeo, as well as the carnival/midway.

HUGE event is an understatement. CFD is called "The Daddy of 'Em All" for a reason. There is a lot to see and do, for a variety of interests.

There is, of course, the Rodeo. And there's Frontier Nights, the concerts of some of the biggest names in country music performing there. There's the carnival and midway, with lots of rides and side shows, and tons of people watching.

As far as the best shows, that's subjective depending on who and what you like. H E R E is a link to the Frontier Nights Shows. You need to get tickets NOW. Shows sell out fast, some faster than others. And the shows are LOUD. Strongly urge everyone to bring ear protection of some sort. We saw Florida Georgia Line's show and it was nearly unbearable. The Championship Bull Riding Shows should not be missed, they are incredibly exciting.

During the day, the Rodeos are a bit more manageable, the preliminary events can be more lightly attended, and the crowds build as riders progress.

The carnival/midway is always packed, regardless of the day or time of day. It's a great place to people watch. It can also be very expensive. Food/Drink costs are like what you'd pay at a major sporting event or A lister concert, which is to say ridiculous. Beers are $7.50, it's been that price for the last 5 years that I've been up there.

At this late date, it's not likely to find much camping available in the area immediately around Cheyenne. There are several campground parks off I-80 east of town, there's a few on S College Dr on the south side of town, there's the Terry Bison Ranch at Exit 2 on I-25 just north of the state line, and they are all fairly well booked early, from tourists as well as participants and support staff. There's also Curt Gowdy State Park between Cheyenne and Laramie, but it's also likely to be booked. There's a KOA north of Wellington off I-25 and a KOA just north of Fort Collins. There's camping in the Loveland area, and that may be your best bet. Best place to consider in Loveland would be Boyd Lake State Park.

Parking. It's a nightmare. CFD grounds border I-25 on the west side, and there's residential areas that surround the park. There's lots of on-street parking for free; traffic is crazy. If one parks on-street, be prepared to walk a significant distance.

And HEED NO PARKING SIGNS! Cheyenne PD will ticket and tow.

Many residents in the area will allow parking in their yards/driveways, and it will cost a goodly amount. Last year was the first year I've seen parking at $50. There's parking lots at the park, but they fill up very early and costs $20.

There's a Park and Ride south of the Park, about 5 minutes away. It's at Exit 10 on I-25, cost is $10 and that includes the gate pass. That's the best place to park. The entire fleet of Cheyenne Public Schools buses are put into service, and loop around from the P&R to the park every 5 minutes. They drop you off at the main gate, and in the evening, that's where you catch the bus back to the P&R. Buses run til 12:30AM which for most shows will work to get back in time to get your car. HOWEVER...2 years ago, the buses couldn't keep up with the demand and their was a 90 minute delay after the show ended in getting back to the P&R.

H E R E is a link to the CFD website, that will give you more on the above info, as well as more of the things to see and do. And downtown Cheyenne is not far away, there's lots to see and do down there, and there's a Museum at the State Capitol that is incredible, and worth the time to visit.

ETA: It can get warm/hot there in July. Yes, you're above 6000 feet, but the sun can get intense and there's not a lot of shade in the midway/carnival area. Add in big crowds of people, sometimes shoulder to shoulder and it can get intense. Also, no outside food/beverages are allowed in the park, so you're at the mercy of the vendors in the park. Water ain't cheap; fortunately there's ATMs all over the place. Stay hydrated!!!
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't mind, I'm going to follow this thread too. We'll be in the area about that time and it would be a lot of fun.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)