cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Creede, CO CG recommendations needed

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
We are headed to the Creede area in July and I'm looking for CG recommendations. Had a cousin recommend a CG in South Fork only to have my uncle say he hated it because it was too close to the highway and the CG was on a steep grade. I would prefer something kid friendly and not the larger CGs like the one's south of Creede that look like a trailer park. Would prefer full hook ups or at least water/electric.

I did see a CG on the map near Wagon Wheel Gap(Blue Creek Lodge) that looks nice but can't find a review on it. $40/night for the 4 of us plus electric based off the meter reading. I have never seen electric charges like that before and hope I'm not in for a price shock if we stay there.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran
10 REPLIES 10

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Creed is or was, 10 years ago, kind of a trashy area. If u'r goin that far I'd certain go on up to top of mountain at Lake City on Lake Cristobal! This is possibly THE most beautiful area in the state. Several full hookup private CGs as well as lots of county park dry camping along the western edges of the lake. Free in the Off season. From here you can take the high clearance drive over to the old Ghost GOLD town at Animas and on into Silverton for the Steam train ride down to Durango.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
I have stayed at Blue Creek Lodge in Wagon Wheel Gap, but in the C cabin, not in the RV park. The RV park looked like a very nice place with lots of shade trees. The weekend-only restaurant is good, not great, with prices that are high, but less than most in Creede during the peak season. I enjoyed my stay and would definitely stay there with my 5th wheel if I were back in the area for any extended period of time.

HOWEVER (there is always a catch!), if I were only staying in the area for 2-3 nights, I would definitely stay at the Forest Service Palisade campground 2 miles south of Wagon Wheel Gap. This is one of the 100 Best Campgrounds in Colorado, according to the book of the same name. It only has 12 sites, 6 of which back up to the Rio Grande (a Gold Medal trout stream at this location) and 3 of which are pull-thrus. It has lots of shade, hand-pump water, and the usual USFS picnic tables, fire grates, pit toilet, etc., for $18/night. No hookups or dump, but you can dump behind the Rainbow Grocery in South Fork.

The only drawback is that Palisade is very popular, not just with campers and fishermen, but with river rafting companies. And it does not offer reservations on "recreation.gov," which means you need to get there early in the day on a weekday if you want to find a campsite.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve stayed at Fun Valley for quite a few years. They have sold out and as a result a lot of changes. As someone that stays for several weeks, I wonโ€™t go back. Just 2 expensive. Plenty of parks all the way to Creed. Mountain View looks interesting.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Iraqvet05 wrote:
I booked 3 nights at Peacock Meadows in South Fork. This CG had mostly good reviews and seemed to have a little more space between sites that the others.

July appears to height of the tourist season as finding a state CG with 4 night available in Colorado Springs was a PIA. I booked 3 nights at Cheyenne Mountain SP but couldn't get a 4th night so we are going to head back a day early or book one night at the KOA.

Peacock appears to be a nice park with spacious sites compared to others in South Fork. It's quite new. Good find!

If you have extra time, take a day trip to Pagosa Springs and soak in the warm pools for a couple hours - very relaxing overlooking the river. They're immaculate and varying temperatures.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
I booked 3 nights at Peacock Meadows in South Fork. This CG had mostly good reviews and seemed to have a little more space between sites that the others.

July appears to height of the tourist season as finding a state CG with 4 night available in Colorado Springs was a PIA. I booked 3 nights at Cheyenne Mountain SP but couldn't get a 4th night so we are going to head back a day early or book one night at the KOA.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Fun Valley a few years ago. Loved it!
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

Camreal
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Mountain View and would not stay there again. Large pricy park with lots of rules. Gravel and no trees of any size.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to check here, I spent a couple weeks there last year, loved the place and will be back. Right on the river https://www.woodsriver.net/ They have a really open field in the upper lot and large sites along the river. Satellite reception maybe an issue in the lower lot as it is full of large trees. Creeds about 45 minutes away.

More reviews here http://www.rvparkreviews.com/
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
For every person who really likes a particular RV park there is someone else who really dislikes it. I would look at all the reviews for that park on rvparkreviews.com and go with the general trend of those rather than one personโ€™s opinion.

Cottonwood Cove RV at Wagonwheel Gap is along side the highway to Creede. Have never stayed there so canโ€™t comment.
Mountain Views at Riverโ€™s Edge just south of Creede is a more upscale RV park. But out in the flat wide open treeless valley and not very scenic except for the nearby river. Antlers RV park a little farther out has a great restaurant on site. Have not stayed at either place so again canโ€™t comment on these.

We have stayed just outside South Fork many times at Fun Valley Family RV Resort with our kids and grandkids because it is so friendly with all the kid centric activities available. But that may be the one that did not appeal to you.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
H E R E - Creede area are some of the RV parks/CGs in the area. Though I've not stayed in the parks in Creede, I have further to the north in Lake City. Looks like there are options to South Fork. 3 in the Creede area.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.