cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Creekside Campground in Hill City, SD

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
We had reservations since last winter for the month of July in a spot we like. Just got a message (June 25th) saying they couldn't accommodate us until after the holiday. When we mentioned our reservations, the owner said she felt it "wouldn't be right to hold an occupied spot." So, apparently, someone is in that spot right now and wants to stay.

HUH? We have been told many times when we came to a campground or wanted to extend on short notice that we would have to move sites because other people had made previous reservations. There is nothing "wouldn't be right" about a business honoring it's previously booked reservations. That's what reservations are frigging for!

Anyway, we were finally offered another site for the first 4 days, then WE could move to the site we had reserved. OK. Whatever. But considering that moving is a hassle and we are not spring chickens, I think we'll look around for other campgrounds when we decide to come back to that beautiful area. Until we pushed, it was not volunteered that anything would be available. We'd have had to pay daily rates somewhere for 4 days, if we could find another campground with openings, or spend 4 days at a truck stop.
10 REPLIES 10

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
We probably won't get anywhere in the area because of the 75th anniversary at Sturgis.

Don't give up the ship the Rally does not start until the first full week of Aug. 2-8. Yes some bikers will come 3 to 4 days early to ride the Black Hills without 3/4 thousand or more with them, have done this myself and had no trouble finding a place to stay. I say you should go and enjoy your time in the Black Hills. JMHO

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I'm going to look into a few options. The more I think about it, the madder I get. We probably won't get anywhere in the area because ofthe 75th anniversary at Sturgis. But we have no interest in that and will be happy elsewhere. We'd like within 2 or 3 miles of a nice little town. We don't need a pool or horseshoes. If the town has a good laundromat, the campground doesn't have to have one. Wed like a good restaurant or 2 and a Walmart or other grocery. Given my choice, I'd like a higher elevation with cooler days.

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
It is a little bit of a drive, about an hour from you, but Chris's campground in Spearfish, SD is great. Lanna and Bryce Christenden are very nice. They do all they can to help visitors. The wifi and cable are excellent and drive t through sites are roomy. Full hook up is a plus. We stayed there and drove over to all the attractions in Rapid City and Keystone area.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nothing is ever perfect and if you really like the campground then a small glitch is worth overlooking. Maybe they'll be extra nice to try and make it up to you. After all you don't plan on marrying any of them, just using their campground.

"Rule 1: Don't sweat the small things. Rule 2: They're all small things."
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try Horse Thief on Needles HWY. very nice place and they take resv. and hold the spot for you!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
Coolmom, they did not want a check to hold the reservation. We would have cheerfully sent them one. They said they wanted us to pay when we got there. We love the campground. It has nice areas where dogs can run. But I am certainly hesitant about making any further arrangements with them. One never really knows if one will be bumped out or not.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
You are sort of in a bind. Too late to change campgrounds this year. But I would certainly not plan on staying their again. Plenty of other campgrounds in the surrounding area that would appreciate your business and respect your reservations.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
For sure, no way to run a business. My guess is they have friends or family in your site.

I can't imagine any business not being willing to take a charge card for a reservation any more.

Did they offer to take a check to hold your reservation if you were willing to mail them a check?
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
No, you got us, there. Altho we had corresponded several times, the campground only takes cash or check and would not take a charge card for confirmation, which is what we usually do.

The campground prefers to do its reservations on a "hand shake" basis (electronically speaking), it seems. That works fine, as long as you can trust the hand shake. Otherwise, not so much. We were very neatly left with little recourse - except complaining - as well as possible unexpected expense and inconvenience. Daily rates in the area for those 4 nights can run $45 to $65 a night if you can even find an opening, now. The alternative site was not offered right away. DH had to push for a solution.

That's no way to run a business if you want to keep your customers.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Is this a reservation guaranteed by pre-payment?
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)