cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

custer state park

MO_Rookie
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip in the middle of July going to Custer State park never been there we are wanting to stay in the State park which campground do you recommend we have a 28ft travel trailer. Also looking for suggestions on places to see and things to do. Traveling with kids ages 8 and 12.
27 REPLIES 27

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
I will also be in Custer in July and researching riding stables. Rocking R has some good reviews and Blue Bell campground has a riding stable. I have been to Custer a few times, do a caving tour at Wind or Jewel, our favorite tour through the cave was the candlelight ones. Harney Peak is a nice scenic hike.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
TOO much to list. the park alone is full of animals, fishing,hiking and sight seeing are just a few. 90 miles to badlands, 50 or so miles from devils tower,deadwood,hill city, sturgis,minute man missile site, custer city, the president statues in bronze on the corners in rapid city, 350 miles to little big horn and on and on and on. i will be there working all summer.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›

MO_Rookie
Explorer
Explorer
We booked our site last night in Custer State park at Stockade Lake North in July. Now just looking for suggestions on things to do and see. We are wanting to go horseback riding any suggestions on which outfitter to use. Thanks for everyones input.

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed in the Legion Lake campground (sites 3E & 4E)last summer. We have a 30 ft. tt and our friends who traveled with us have a 35 ft. fw. No problem for either of us getting in/out of our sites. Legion Lake is right across the road from the campground, very scenic and kids did swim there. There is also a small store at the lake. The nice thing about Legion Lake CG. is it is very centrally located in the park,and easy to navigate to any location from there. Very clean bathroom/shower facility.

So much to do there. Check out the buffalo/burros. Hike to Harney Peak. Drive the Needles Highway (without tt) and take Iron Mountain Road out to Mt. Rushmore- these are both breathtakingly beautiful roads! Don't forget Crazy Horse Mem., Jewel Cave, Deadwood for a reenactment ect. Oh, and don't forget a stop at Wall Drug if you are coming from the east- pretty cheesy but you can say you've been there/done that.

Have a great time, you will love it!

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stockade North can handle big rigs and has 50 AMP. No dump or sewer on that side of the mountain, but you can dump at the truck stop in the town of Custer if you buy fuel there.
There is a great little restaurant at the Wagon Wheel CG just west of Stockade Lake toward town of Custer. Great meals and omelets are outstanding. Right beside French Creek where Custer camped and discovered gold during the Black Hills expedition about a year before his mishap at the Little Big Horn.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

acsimon
Explorer
Explorer
Sylvan Lake is a very small camp ground. You will have trouble there with a 28 foot trailer. Try Stockade Lake.

MO_Rookie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of your replies now just checking availability for the week of the 4th or week of the 12th in July I am wondering if the week of the 4th will be to busy. Also looking to do some hiking and horseback riding any must see trails.

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
Blue Bell campground is very nice and is inside the park.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make reservations NOW. Game Lodge is good. The dump station is there.
Legion Lake is nice, but much smaller.
All the campgrounds in the state park are nice, but Sylvan Lake and Bluebell are a bit out of the way, and Stockade Lake South is, too... IMO. But they're all pretty. Pull up the web site for Custer State Park and it will give you campground maps, etc. You are in for a real treat.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
All the campgrounds are listed here:

Custer State Park

It shows which ones have big rig access, pull-thrus, etc.

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I can't answer your question about the RV parks IN the state park, but I can tell you that we stayed in Custer's Gulch RV Park which is a private park and which we found to be very convenient to the state park, the wildlife loop, Iron Mountain Road, Mt. Rushmore, and Needles Highway.

This is just an alternate possibility to actually being in the state park. I am simply not familiar with the camping inside the park.

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
sylvan lake campground if you can still get reservations.
just search custer park,rushmore and crazy horse and you will have plenty of reading

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend Jewel Cave, the kids will love it!

Wear pants because it's cold down there, also comfortable walking shoes.

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer