cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Easiest route to Gettysburg from Cherry Hill?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Your suggestions? We will have an RV on the back:) Which roads do not allow propane? Thanks!
23 REPLIES 23

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
D & M wrote:
I don't know about the lane width. but I am willing to bet that it's just as wide as the rest of the Beltway lanes. I will let you get out there with the measuring tape and prove me wrong. :B

I'm on it. :B
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Nothing wrong with #1 but for a driver unfamiliar with the area and even those familiar with the area, # 2 is a better choice.
Avoiding 495 is never a bad idea.
#2 avoids 495 and is still a direct shot.
#2 uses all decent size roads that are easy to navigate towing an RV.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
D & M wrote:
#1- Easiest route for you would be I-495 to I-270N to US 15 (Frederick, MD) and then on to Gettysburg, PA. 82 miles more or less of limited access highway. No problem with propane on this route.

#2 - I-95 north to MD-32 west to I-70 west to MD 15 North.

#3 - Left out of park (Cherry Hill Road). North on RT 29. West on RT 32 to I-70 west to MD 15 North.

Personally, I'd recommend #2 before #1 due to the "roller coaster" feel of I-495 that another poster mentioned. I drive and tow that area often but that doesn't mean I like it. ๐Ÿ™‚ I also feel like those lanes around the Mormon temple are more narrow. Maybe it's just my imagination.

#3 would be a cold dark day- I hate Rt. 29 in that south end.

The OP asked for routes to Gettysburg. I don't know from the "rollercoaster" feel of the Beltway. Never experienced it. Guess I drive it to much to notice. Next time I go to Rockville, I will keep that in mind. And the OP isn't driving it every day. It might be fun. It's still, barring rush hour traffic, the quickest and simplest route. Tractor trailers, buses, motorhomes and 5'ers travel that route by the thousands every day. I don't know about the lane width. but I am willing to bet that it's just as wide as the rest of the Beltway lanes. I will let you get out there with the measuring tape and prove me wrong. :B

As for #3, I work right across the street from Cherry Hill and when I needed to go north and the Beltway was jammed up, I would sneak out the back gate and use that route to get to 29. It was the "old" way before they opened up the Inter County Connector (RT 200). Now I shoot up RT 1 and jump on the ICC.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
D & M wrote:
#1- Easiest route for you would be I-495 to I-270N to US 15 (Frederick, MD) and then on to Gettysburg, PA. 82 miles more or less of limited access highway. No problem with propane on this route.

#3 - Left out of park (Cherry Hill Road). North on RT 29. West on RT 32 to I-70 west to MD 15 North.

Personally, I'd recommend #2 before #1 due to the "roller coaster" feel of I-495 that another poster mentioned. I drive and tow that area often but that doesn't mean I like it. ๐Ÿ™‚ I also feel like those lanes around the Mormon temple are more narrow. Maybe it's just my imagination.

#3 would be a cold dark day- I hate Rt. 29 in that south end.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks D&M. I'm informed now. It seems MDTA should make more of an effort to accommodate out of state passes however maybe it is not a big issue due to lack of demand from out of state motorist
Correct Trax,Splendide

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:

Just curious I agree OP does not need have an Ezpass however they may own an electronic toll pass from their home region. .EZ pass is also available outside of MD.
What I don't know is if MDTA accepts anything other than EZ pass for electronic payment.

EZPass is an East coast network of electronic toll collect. Its members network includes
Delaware
Indiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Virginia
West Virginia
Illinois I-Pass
North Carolina QuickPass

If you click on this link you will see a map of the network. You will see in the legend that non-members passes won't work in the EZ Pass system, nor will EZ Pass work in non-member systems. The OP is from Washington state
Dave
Lizzy (a Boston)

det62
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Another less costly way to avoid the I-495 beltway. Is I-95 north to MD-32 west to I-70 west to MD 15 North.
All roads are fine for big rig travel.

This is the route I have taken many times...easy drive.
1994 Georgie Boy Pursuit 32 foot Class A

Debbie (owner, pilot and navigator):B
Steve (campfire starter):Z
Matthew - age 17 Got Fish ?? :@
Rebecca - age 16 Got Wi-fi ?? :h

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Leaddog while you description of 495 is accurate. I personally have no problem on 495 or the George Washington Bridge in NYC.
Nevertheless it is a good idea to avoid them both while towing if you can.Especially if you are not comfortable towing in congested urban areas.
I have driven both directions around 495 many times. When towing I will use MD-200 to bypass 495 if I can. The whole point/expense of MD-200 is to avoid 495.
I get the point and use 200 to avoid the 495: gridlock,stop n go,zip-zap motorcycle race convoys,Autobahn racers,backed up exits,dart mergers,cut off artist,overflowing exits,bad drivers and headaches.
495 is notorious for a reason.
Correct Trax,Splendide

leaddog
Explorer
Explorer
The Beltway mileage from Cherry Hill to I-270 is about 11 miles. Drive it between 10-2 and stay in the 2nd lane from the right. (Avoid merge lane coming on). Once you get past the Connecticut Ave exit, (Rt 185) move to the right lane and take the I-270N road. Make sure you don't take the RT 355 exit.

The section from Georgia Ave to Rt 355 road is called the "Rock Creek Roller Coaster". Long sweeping curves with the Mormon Temple on the right side of the road.

Smooth sailing from then on. I have driven the Beltway for 20 years in my motor home towing a toad and never had a problem on this stretch of road. Just take your time and don't be switching lanes all the time.

I use Google Earth to view new roads that I will be traveling on. Check it for the Rt 355/Beltway/I-270 interchange. A picture is worth a thousand words.

I asked when you were going to be on this route to make sure it wasn't in January-Feb timeframe. It gets cold in Gettysburg that time of the year. April could also be cool at night. Great sleeping weather.
2008 40ft Tiffin Allegro Bus
2014 Honda CR-V AWD

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
D & M wrote:

Forget RT 200. You don't have an Easy Pass and there is no reason for you to get one.

Propane is prohibited in the tunnels in Baltimore, but you won't even get near them.

If you leave Cherry Hill after around 9:30 or 10 AM you won't have a problem with traffic.

Just curious I agree OP does not need have an Ezpass however they may own an electronic toll pass from their home region. .EZ pass is also available outside of MD.
What I don't know is if MDTA accepts anything other than EZ pass for electronic payment.
Correct Trax,Splendide

D___M
Explorer
Explorer

Forget RT 200. You don't have an Easy Pass and there is no reason for you to get one.

Propane is prohibited in the tunnels in Baltimore, but you won't even get near them.

If you leave Cherry Hill after around 9:30 or 10 AM you won't have a problem with traffic.
Dave
Lizzy (a Boston)

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Another less costly way to avoid the I-495 beltway. Is I-95 north to MD-32 west to I-70 west to MD 15 North.
All roads are fine for big rig travel.
Correct Trax,Splendide

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Can-AmDuo wrote:
If you want to avoid The Beltway then I suggest highway 29 north, I70 west, highway 15 north

when I drive that route I cut over 32 from 29 to 70.
bumpy

Can-AmDuo
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to avoid The Beltway then I suggest highway 29 north, I70 west, highway 15 north
Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends we choose.