cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Escaping heat next summer?

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
We escaped to Colorado for a month this summer, getting away from coastal Texas heat and humidity. It was fine but we have been to Colorado a lot, either on summer vacations or fall elk hunting.
I'm open to somewhere else. Thinking upper Minnesota, Michigan, etc. Maybe New England. I don't think I want to pull from Houston across the Rockies to Seattle. We've done the Smokies, but not ruling that out.
I would want full hook ups, shade, and nearby fishing.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive
27 REPLIES 27

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
TxGearhead wrote:
When is the bug season in northern Michigan and Wisconsin? Black flies or whatever.

May & June.

We love the UP but the last time we went, it was June & got eaten alive. I'd look at July and beyond.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
When is the bug season in northern Michigan and Wisconsin? Black flies or whatever.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
About 3 years ago we had reservations at state parks in Michigan along Lake Michigan and over the top and down Wisconsin. I don't remember what happened but we had to cancel. That still sounds good. Maybe stay somewhere a week or so. Maybe Curtis, MI. And yeah, Copper Harbor is cool looking at Accuweather history.
All good ideas, I have some research to do.
Thanks!
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
My first thought was UP MI. Especially on Lake Superior. Copper Harbor for you hard core cold lovers. But for a month, i dont think you can go wrong touring around the Canadian Rockies.
Smokies are too hot and humid in summer imo. If you liked there, youll probably be ok with some warmer places than have been mentioned in the thread already.
Or you could go opposite and stay on a beach somewhere, enjoying the cooling ocean breezes and such.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
craig7h wrote:
After a week here went to Curtis Michigan in the middle of the UP.

I spent a couple of summers near Curtis, MI. Centrally loacted in the eastern half of the UP. Close enough to many day trips to UP highlights.

Don't miss the beaches along US-2 west of St Ignace, or the Picture Rocks boat tour.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Don't count on escaping the heat in New England. It may be cooler than Texas but can still be very hot. We had multiple heat waves this past summer with many days being well above 90 compounded by high humidity levels. Heading to the mountains or coast of New England may or may not offer some relief.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
We spent a month this year (August) traveling the Northern part of North Dakota, Minnesota, and the UP.

Not much in ND we stayed a week at a great FHU in Minot. We a city but not for a week. We then went on to Baudette Minnesota, the Walleye capital of the world. Great FHU campground, close to Baudette which is a great little city. I see you fish, you will have alot to do here, its all about fishing up here. After a week here went to Curtis Michigan in the middle of the UP. What a great place stayed in a great FHU campground for a week. Again this place is all about fishing!

We felt very safe from the covid all over our travels as mask wearing was mandatory for all.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you given any thought to the UP? Beautiful area. We are heading back to western UP in a day or two for a couple of weeks. Colors should be great, a bit nippy, but nice.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you been to Waterton in Canada? Twice the drive as CO but you can stay east of the rockies vs Seattle.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Another suggestion...The higher elevations in AZ...Flagstaff or White Mountains including Payson, Show Low, Pinetop/Lakeside, Greer.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Long ways for a Texan, but I would also suggest the Canadian rockies from Banff to Jasper. I love the US rockies, but the Canadian ones are a step up.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Idaho is very nice, around Stanley are the Sawtooth mountains but there are many places to visit. We followed 95 all the way north to Bonner's Ferry last year. Then turned east on Hwy 2 to kalispel and Glacier.

Minnesota/Wisconsin are on our list but we avoided it this year because of the governors. Hopefully that will be resolved next year. But you have to time a visit to avoid the Black Flies in early summer.

The PNW is another possibility, also an area that with have recovered from the mass hysteria by then. Oregon, Washington and Northern Cali. Lots of great scenery.

New England was a one time trip for us so the kids could say they've been to all 48 states, Mexico and Canada. And for the US History. It is packed with people. The southern end is hotter than Hades. Maine is nice and if Canada is reopened you can from into New Brunswick there. Acadia is an odd park, bits scattered all over a large area. NH, VT and that park of upstate NY all have good camping
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully Canada will be open by then, so the Canadian Rockies is an option.

MN or MI upper peninsula are usually cooler in summer, but there is not a lot to do up there as far as "touristy" type things.