cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fall trips near Northern VA? Lake Anna? Any ideas?

EstorilM
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone. I'm about to finish up our "work" schedule, three horse shows from Tryon NC to Lexington KY and one at the VA Horse Center. Only had the trailer about 5 weeks, so we're getting some good use out of it!

My girlfriend and I are trying to plan our first "recreational" trip with the TT, and I'm not sure what to do.

Right now I'm leaning towards Lake Anna (there's two camp grounds, one has tent camping but gives you a boat dock, the other has hook ups but no dock). We'd probably bring a 20' boat with us, she could tow that with the diesel jeep pretty easily. We have friends that live on the lake and the dog would absolutely lose his mind having his RV AND the water.

The other option is to try and find a nice site just west of Northern VA, near Shenandoah NP. Around 81 and 66 interchange, Luray etc..

Looking on google maps nets literally 15+ campgrounds in that area, along or near the Shenandoah River, but I'm trying to find one where I can park within view of the river or a creek.

As I type this I just moved the search north just into WV, and have another 15+ options! Everything from Antietam to Horseshoebend, HArpers Ferry.. a few that sound familiar. I'm hoping someone on the forums is familiar with this area, otherwise I'm going to be spending the next week sorting through google reviews and finding pictures / campsite maps. ๐Ÿ˜‰

It's kinda our first chance to actually enjoy the TT in a totally recreational environment, so I want to make it count.

Thanks!
2016 Springdale Summerland 2570RL Arctic
2006 Land Rover LR3 V8 HSE | OE tow pkg & air suspension
8 REPLIES 8

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Get your own dog,preferably a Labrador retriever and go any ways.If you're former GF is on Facebook,post lot's of pictures of you and the dog having fun.A great campground on the water is Goose Point on Philpott Lake.Some sites are right on the water.They have electric hookups,a bat launch and a small beach.

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like your world just turned upside down. Sorry to hear.

EstorilM wrote:
Just found out the test event for the World Equestrian Games at Tryon this fall that we were working (only reason I bought the TT this fall instead of next year) has been cancelled.

Oh and the GF and I are breaking up.

Dog was hers.

Hmmmmmm.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree, otherwise dog would be first. ๐Ÿ˜‰

phillyg wrote:
An RV, a lake, a boat, friends on the lake, a dog, a girlfriend; I recommend Lake Anna. Caveat: foregoing list is not in order of importance.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

EstorilM
Explorer
Explorer
Just found out the test event for the World Equestrian Games at Tryon this fall that we were working (only reason I bought the TT this fall instead of next year) has been cancelled.

Oh and the GF and I are breaking up.

Dog was hers.

Hmmmmmm.

EstorilM
Explorer
Explorer
phillyg wrote:
An RV, a lake, a boat, friends on the lake, a dog, a girlfriend; I recommend Lake Anna. Caveat: foregoing list is not in order of importance.

Haha! Just lol'd at work, thanks!

K still looking around, but it's a trip I'm familiar with (used to pull my restored '90 Donzi Black Widow out there and sleep on the boat!) but if you think RV's are a money pit, don't even contemplate an old speed boat. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Leaning towards LKA but still looking around, checking into the other site as well, thanks.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Lake Anna State Park is fairly new and clean with RV sites and a boat dock. Christopher Run campground on Lake Anna is older but has lots of RV sites and places to tie up a boat.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Point Lookout SP in Maryland. It's on the Chesapeake and the Potomac River. It has LOTS of watering/boating options and some really nice campgrounds (6 different ones to choose from) that have different options from FHU to none. It's less than 2 hrs from Fredericksburg.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW