cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

first snowbird season in florida this winter 2014/2015-help

pattyann1750
Explorer
Explorer
DH and I have wintered as campworksers in AZ last 4 yrs.Now we will winters in Big Tree rv park in Arcadia Florida for first time and not as camppworksers.We hear horror stories about bugs,humidity,"real old people' and I need facts and tips please.First off has anyone stayed @ that park or in the area that can enlighten us?Second do you use dehumidifiers in your rv to prevent the moisture build up/Also how do you store your food?All in plastic containers?I have been doing research and have not found much on the care with the moisture issue.The rv park does use powder for the ant issue which I hear is all over florida.As far as palmetto bugs I don't hear much.Just the darn ants.We are very excited.we live in upstate NY so the 1200 mile drive is much easier than 2300 but we have enjoyed it here.I need to see water,see color and smell things.I would love to hear all about florida and what to expect and should do to plan ahead from anyone who has the time.I appreciate your input.Trish,Dave and little mugzy and old Duke.We have a 36 ft fifthwheel and a 1ton silverado.
30 REPLIES 30

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I will second the comments about Williston Crossings. It's just about the nicest park I've ever been in.

Tim.

Bank_of_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed a weekend in Arcadia this winter. The campground had a music concert we wanted to see. We live full time in Venice FL, about an hour away.

The facility was nice. All the rigs were on concrete pads, I guess because of the ant problem. We didn't see ants at the time.

The pool was small.

The people were very nice, most from Canada and the MidWest. They were all of post retirement age, and seemed very conservative.

The area is really boring. I would never want to stay there long. It is at least an hour away from the beaches, and 45 minutes away from everywhere else.

pattyann1750
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much for all your responses.You have been very helpful and we appreciate it.Live,Love and Laugh,Trish

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
You can see from my sig I live in Port Charlotte. Well actually NW Charlotte County about 4 miles or so from the gulf as the crow flies. Arcadia is rural but if you like antiques and antique shops downtown Arcadia will appeal to you. In the winter we have more snowbirds and many of them are well older folks. You have to drive a little more defensively and have patience we will all be older and slower someday. It will take you a little while to drive to Sarasota, Venice, Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda etc. But in snowbird season due to the increase of folks it takes us all a little longer to get somewhere. As far as food, if you unit is air conditioned it is no different then anywhere else. Our humidity in the winter is low even lower then up north with all the snow. I RV and I have been a snow bird and I have had ants in my rig in other states. Ant killer works great. If you want buy Triazicide and spray around your rig with a water hose. Last about 6 to 8 weeks and will kill the ants and other insects, Andro is a powder to put on ant hills works fast and is great. Yes we have gators and snakes they hang out by most lakes, canal fresh water etc. Keep you and your pet out of there. Bugs are more of an issue in the summer then winter. No worst then the woods up north. Fla. is a great place to winter enjoy and the folks are nice they want your money.If you find Arcadia is not for you there are many other parks within 50 miles of where you are going to stay.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
You had me at "no rednecks". :B

motorcycle_jack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I usually don't offer to tell anyone about camping in north central Florida. Why? Cause I want them to go further south - like them seeing those crowded, high priced CG's with hundreds of park models. But since you asked about Florida and where to stay, I'll tell you a secret and the best park in Florida - bar none. Rural but close to big cities for entertainment, sports and best restaurants. Try Williston Crossings- large sites, no bugs, no gators, no red necks - everyone is friendly. On second thought - DON'T come here!
John
"Motorcycle Jack"
Life time Good Sam Member
Blog: My RV
5th Wheel Blog

Full timing isn't "always camping". It's a different life style living in an RV.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
AdirondackJack wrote:
As you say, it is what it is. We take our time and stay at a lot of campgrounds coming and going each year. We stumbled upon one in Western NY State that my wife calls "Deliverance"! ..

:B

My Deliverance CG was in Southern Illinois! Situation late at night and needed the first CG I could find ..snip... Yup Full Time and Snowbird RV'ing sure does supply us with some great stories to tell around the campfire! And each time I run into stuff like this I can't stop myself from going right to humming the dueling banjo's song. :C

Mine was in Alabama. Had to hide out from a tornado so I went off the beaten path a little. Next morning I went into McDonalds to send out e-mails telling everyone I was OK. When I asked the person at the counter if they had internet there, she said "what's the internet." drove an extra long time north that day.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
This past winter I won a stay at an upscale resort just north of Arcadia. If I paid for 1 month, I got 2 months free. This would be for next year. We drove over to Arcadia to see what was there and take a look at the park. After seeing the area, we said forget it! The area had zero appeal and limited shopping - it really is in the middle of nowhere. We did not bother driving the 6 miles north to look at the park.

There were lots of c.g.'s in that area; but we could not figure out why anyone would want to stay there.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

jeb5
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Riversidervresort.com and Riversidesnowbirds.com

This park has an Arcadia address but is only 4 mile from Port Charlotte. We have been there for 13 years. We only go to Arcadia for oranges or for service on our Ford truck.

This park has something for everyone.

Call the office and ask for Karen or Sue. Tell them that "Big John" suggested that you call for more information. This park will be full by August or September.
Ford F-350, 6.7 Diesel, 4x4, Long Bed
Newmar Kountry Star 5th Wheel

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
AdirondackJack wrote:
As you say, it is what it is. We take our time and stay at a lot of campgrounds coming and going each year. We stumbled upon one in Western NY State that my wife calls "Deliverance"! ..

:B

My Deliverance CG was in Southern Illinois! Situation late at night and needed the first CG I could find.

I pulled in to check in and the CG owner was seriously drunk. Thought that wasn't a real big deal I'll be parked with other campers, until.......he got into his golf cart and told me to follow him to my site. We wound for what seemed like forever thru deeply wooded area and then it opened up to a small clearing.

Only thing was there were NO other campers! Just 4 real dilapidated hunting trailers that appeared to be empty or at least I hoped so.

I called some friends in California, told them were I was and in case I woke up dead in the morning!

Yup Full Time and Snowbird RV'ing sure does supply us with some great stories to tell around the campfire! And each time I run into stuff like this I can't stop myself from going right to humming the dueling banjo's song. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

AdirondackJack
Explorer
Explorer
As you say, it is what it is. We take our time and stay at a lot of campgrounds coming and going each year. We stumbled upon one in Western NY State that my wife calls "Deliverance"! We know of 2 we look forward to stopping at in Northern Florida that are great and also know of one near Stark, Fl where Anthony Perkins might have been scared to stay overnight. You have the same possibilities whether it's Florida, Ohio, or Mississippi. We stay at least 2 nights in a place to try and get a little feel for the campground and the area for next time. Whatever we find it's all part of our RV journey.
2011 Excel 30RSO, 32', 3 slides, 4-Season 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty, 6.2L V8, 385hp

Exploring & writing about life along the Snowbird RV Routes

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I think if we hadn't spent the Winter months in Florida the past 4 years I would give the State a wide berth after reading some of these comments......We have the same spot in a park on the

Tampa

each year. It's close to everything yet it's in the country....

It depends WHERE you stay in Florida! Staying in South Florida is way different than in the Central and North area. :W

I'm from up North Wisconsin and the CG where I stay during the summer months is divided equally with 1/3 seasonal, 1/3 permanents, and 1/3 traveling and/or snowbird RV's. That said, I LOVE it there! It is the only place I stay at. So yes I stay at CG's with permanents. But my comment on not staying at CG's with permanents still stands when 'traveling'.

Trying to be PC and trying to assist fellow campers where to stay in the North Florida is difficult at best. But it is what it is and a name is given to it, Redneck 'country'. They don't want you there and I'd rather not run across it in my MH. I am presently staying north and east of MidCentral Florida and I am here to tell you it isn't Tampa! You have to be aware of where you plan on staying.:B

Mid Central and North Florida is TOTALLY different from staying at a CG in the far south of Florida which is mostly inhabited by us tourists anyway! :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

AdirondackJack
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I think if we hadn't spent the Winter months in Florida the past 4 years I would give the State a wide berth after reading some of these comments.

First off, us old people act about the same here as we do anywhere else 'ceptin there is a lot more of us. You do have to drive defensively at all times I will admit that.

We have the same spot in a park on the East side of Tampa each year. It's close to everything yet it's in the country. We pay about $300/month (depending on electric usage), so there are some nice and economical parks to be had. Our park is populated with more than 3/4 permanents. There are definitely "clicks" but we all get along quite well with few wild parties and we've seen no excessive gun-play. All you need look for is the campground/Park owner that will not put up with the nonsense.

As far as ants go, we buy the gallon spritzer of anti-ant chemical at the local Home Depot, spray along under the edge of the trailer all the way around and also any anthills that might crop up. No ant problem period.

I too am originally from (the real)Upstate New York and after 60+ NY Winters, one visit told us this is the place to be before the first snowfall.

Come on down without fear, you are going to love it!
2011 Excel 30RSO, 32', 3 slides, 4-Season 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty, 6.2L V8, 385hp

Exploring & writing about life along the Snowbird RV Routes

arnko37
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Port Charlotte and it seems the bug problem depends a lot on your proximity to water or a lot of vegetation. In town or rural. Here we are not bothered by mosquitos, no seeums, palmetto bugs or ants, except for fire ants.For those we make sure we keep a bottle of bleach in the house. When you accidently step on a fire ant mound and realize they are on your feet you get a paper towel and the bleach and wipe the area of skin down where they were. If you do this within a couple of minutes there will be no after effect such as stinging or red bumps.The bleach does not hurt you. These mounds are small and when walking thru grassy area watch for them. The ants are tiny.