cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida to Yosemite NP in the Spring, 2018 ???

FloridaNative49
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for your thoughts, timing for the waterfalls/weather, as well as what to see along a southerly route out to California. Have been to Grand Canyon & Zion.
Many Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've done that run, heh. One year we were delayed a couple days getting off and had Yosemite reservations that we had to be there for. We made it from N. FL to Yosemite in 4 days via I-10 to MS up to I-20, I-20 to US 287 W of Dallas. Then I-40 across to US 95 in Kingman AZ. From there thru Death Valley to US 395 and up to the back entrance of Yosemite at Tioga Pass.

Day 1: West of Shreveport, Day 2: Tucumcari NM, Day 3: Kingman AZ, Day 4: somewhere on US 395 maybe Bishop and Yosemite late morning. That was getting up to see the sunrise and drive to 8 or 9 PM days. Not recommended.

Take it slower but that is still our preferred route. 6 days or so from FL.

If you want to camp inside YoNP you better learn about the lottery system. I think February is the date for early summer. Yosemite is our favorite park but unfortunately that's true for a whole lot of other people.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
I would try to go before school lets out, but be aware that CA120(Tioga Pass road) is closed until May or June. I am guessing you have already done your research about activities in the Park and where to stay. The spring run off should be in full spate.

I would not use I-10 if that is what you mean by the southern route.

Spring is dust storm season along I-10 and it gets closed occasionally. Even if the dust does not close the road the winds are high and mostly headwinds going west. You will also, be going through more major metro areas on I-10 than on I-40. I-40 misses LA, Phoenix, Houston, Tucson, San Antonio, ETC, although you can by-pass LA using I-15 and I-8 for Phoenix.

I-40 and US 58 to CA 99 in Bakersfield would be my route of choice, unless you are going to wait until 120 is open and then you can use US395 instead of 99. Tehachapi pass is a nice drive although the Mohave getting there is not much to see.

Good luck whichever way and whenever you go.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
So far it appears to be an early snow melt...for what snow we have in the Sierras.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad