cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida to Yosemite

chompchomp
Explorer
Explorer
So we're adjusting our itinerary this summer. We have a month to burn before our "kids" come out and meet us. So instead of adding onto the end of our trip (Glacier and beyond) we're going into uncharted territory straight west for a month with Sequoia, Joshua, and Yosemite as our ultimate destination. We have the month of June into July to do so before we head back east to meet our kids and share Utah with them and Colorado stops on the way home until August. It looks like 40 out is the best bet. I hate the lower route only because of western Louisiana though I miss the southern route's charm with places like Las Cruces. We've never been to Cali so any advice is much appreciated. Where to stay at Sequoia, Joshua, and Yosemite. As always we know the journey is the destination so any shout-outs to stops along the way are greatly appreciated.
2008 Itasca Sunova 35J Motorhome
2003 Jeep Wrangler X Toad
1996 Key West 19CC Sportsman, 115 Yamaha
10 REPLIES 10

greyhook
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Bass Lake near Yosemite, nice CG, would stay again.
In Sequoia/Kings Canyon, we stayed at the Sunset CG in Kings Canyon NP--we loved it. We had to come in that way because of length restrictions on Sequoia's south entrance.
We also stayed at the Anaheim RV Park--right next to Disneyland and not far from the Queen Mary(if you like ghost stories--this ship is for you).
Valencia Travel Village is another big resort in Castaic---convenient if you want to see the sights of Hollywood or Malibu beach-nice drive through Malibu Canyon Rd.
Leaving Yosemite, we went over Tioga Pass on 120 to 395. Great scenery in Northern California and awesome little towns like Bishop and Lone Pine. We can't wait to return someday.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you can arrange it, stop by Caverns of Sonora (sp?) in West-central Texas.

Nice little on-site campground. Amazing underground tour.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
You might check our 2013 blog for our trip to those areas. The May 15th Entry covers Joshua Tree, the May 23 Entry covers our stop in Three Rivers, CA to see Sequoia and Kings Canyon, and our May 31 Entry covers our stay in Groveland, CA to visit Yosemite.

Of course the whole trip covered almost seven months from Florida to the northwest coast and back and all stops are listed in that blog WITH NO ADS!
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
KOA Yosemite South/Coarsegold

Outside of the park but very easy drive into the park.

It's a long drive to Calif from Florida but beautiful and fun.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Having made many dozens of trips over the decades from Daytona to Reno NV, our hands down favorite "see America" route was I75 up to Tifton GA then 82 all the way to Wichita Falls TX then 287 to Amarillo, then I40 to Kingman AZ. I40 lets you jump off on many old Rt66 alignments, our fav being getting on the section from Seligman to Kingman. 82 goes through many little towns but if you are not in a hurry is a wonderful trip with plenty of RV parks that never need reservations and many interesting people to meet. Regional cuisine is served all along the road. I could give you so many things to see but part of the fun is discovering them yourself.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
The reservations for June 15th to July 15th open up Feb 15th and they go by a lottery system. These reservations go within a few minutes. Search here for Yosemite lottery to get hints on how to win one. Yosemite Reservations

We've made the trip several times once in four and a half days, heh, from North Florida. You don't want to do that obviously. We didn't either but we had Valley reservations and they are not easy to get. There are commercial parks west of Yosemite but we have never stayed at one always managing to get into the park. It's a long drive into the Valley from those places.

The usual way is I10 west , diverting around New Orleans on I12 back to I10 and then west to Arizona then I17 up to I40 that west to US395 north and that into the west entrance to Yosemite via Tioga Pass. If Tioga pass is open then. We just grin and bear it to get thru Louisiana.

You will pass near Death Valley and that may be worth a division for a day or so but it will be HOT. We do manage to drive to points of interest and get out of the vehicle for 30 minutes or so without problems. Joshua Tree will also be toasty but not as bad as DVNP, you should be able to a campsite inside that park but do not delay making reservations. They have had various problems in that park so check to make sure it will be open when you get there. It's been many years since I stayed there.

I haven't stayed in Sequoia or Kings Canyon.

As for Cali, fuel will be very pricey as will groceries. The roads in general are horrible, worse than anything Louisiana has to offer. I just stay out of the state as much as possible which is one reason we prefer the 395 route. It is in a part of the state that is the least problematic. Taking the west side roads up to Sequoia and Yosemite will lead you into the heart of the Cali road system and I would add a day or so to what you would usually expect it to take. You can get into the west side of Sequoia from 395 but only into the western edge of the park. You know that there are plenty of Sequoia Trees inside Yosemite don't you?

Assuming you visit Yosemite last I suggest taking US 50, aka the countries 'loneliest highway' across to Utah. That will run you right by Great Basin NP which is worth a couple of days. 50 is worth the drive by itself. Just fuel up whenever you can and keep the tank above 1/2.

Have a good trip Yosemite is absolutely amazing, nothing else is like it in the world.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I should add that although there is not a lot of good outdoor recreation in Louisiana in the summer (hot and buggy), the food and the music are amazing. There is both Cajun and Zydeco in the Lafayette area -- two different but related types of music. Bring an appetite -- crawfish etouffee, boudin, file gumbo. Wow!!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Joshua Tree is very, very hot in June and July. Some folks still go there in the summer, but it is too rugged for me.

Sequoia is cooler and quieter than Yosemite. Here is a blog post that might be of some use:

Kings and Sequoia

There are some first come, first served sites in Sequoia during the summer -- not sure how hard it is to score one of those sites.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't have reservations for Yosemite by now you probably won't. Coming from the south route(41) you could stay at Bass Lake and make a day trip to Yosemite. Others I'm sure can suggest alternatives. Sequoia will be best if you stay outside the park and take your toad into the park. Sequoia Ranch is a great place that is close to the entrance. Don't know much about Joshua but I believe it will be boondocking. Have a good trip. We took 40 to Mo this past summer and it worked out well.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have any reservations for Sequoia or Yosemite?
Are you aware of the temperature range in Joshua in June/July?
Itโ€™s a dry heat, however. lol
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad