cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

For those going to see Eclipse

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an interactive map, in which one can zoom in for excellent details of the ground, in order to find a viewing spot.

Caveat: Those wanting RV parking/camping may be having trouble, as I hear that reservations have been filled up for months for this particular event, and those having vacancies want a 5-day reservation in some places.

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.
45 REPLIES 45

waynefi
Explorer
Explorer
We had to drive two hours from camp at Lake Mcconaughy NE to Scottsbluff to be sure of clear skies, but it was well worth it. The corona was spectacular.

Traffic for our route was no problem, but we crossed the road from Alliance to Denver, which was way backed up.
rPod 195
formerly Rockwood MiniLite 1809S
Tacoma V6

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
well that was cool.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Totally clear here S of Albany OR. Sun is 60% covered, 17 minutes to totality.
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
We are set up in the tiny town of St. Matthews SC on the line of totality, along with a few thousand other family's! At least the library is welcoming the crowds for use of bathroom and air conditioning breaks.

A little cloudy at the moment but we hoping for a little clearing.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
We weren't planning on going to the totality zone until we read the book "American Eclipse" about the eclipse of July, 1878. Back then nuclear fusion discovery was decades in the future and the element helium (a nuclear fusion product) had not yet been discovered. The nature of the suns corona was unknown. American scientists were first trying to prove their mettle against European scientists and Thomas Edison was even involved.

Good read.
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
We arrived at the bottom of North Carolina yesterday. Staying with family til early Sunday morning when we make the final 100 or so mile ride to the border of the totality band where we staying with other family.
Arrive with full gas tank, water, sun spray, food, TP, etc

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are in IL. Have been hearing that they expect close to 1 million people in Carbondale for the event. We will stay where we are in central IL - good enough for us vs fighting the crowds.

It's a workday for me, so will be staying in the DC National Mall area. We're in the partial eclipse zone, about 80%. Though planning to join fellow staff to witness the event on our building's rooftop terrace.

If you happen to be in Washington, DC area on Monday, August 21, the eclipse is scheduled:

• Begin 1:17PM
  • Max Eclipse at 2:42PM
  • End at 4:01PM

Don't have NASA approved eclipse viewing glasses? They're still available for FREE at Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum on the Mall, and at the Air & Space Udvar-Hazy facility at Dulles Airport beginning at 10:00AM every morning. Though supplies are limited each day, and tend to go quickly.

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
We were fortunate to get the last campsite at our favorite campground in North Georgia, near Blairsville. We're going up Sunday and I expect the drive is going to be long and slow. I read somewhere that they're expecting an influx of over 50,000 people over the North and Northeast corner of Georgia. Guess I'll forget about getting groceries when we get there--better bring stuff from home.
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
We've been in place for a week now, Gros Ventre national park campground in the Tetons. Almost on the eclipse path centerline
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well close to first in line to see the total eclipse, hosting at South Beach SP in Oregon. So long as as the "Marine Layer" doesn't roll in that morning we should be good.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving north jersey early Friday morning with wife and 3 kids (10,13,15). Staying with family in NC for two nites, then with family in Myrtle Beach SC Sunday nite. Early Monday morning check of the weather wil determine roughly where along the Route 26 corridor we head to. Along with a few million other people.

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
LowRyter wrote:
I am heading to Smithville Lake north of KC. It's a COE lake with nice camp sites and swimming beach. Also KC is great for BBQ. It's right in the path of totality. Hope we have good weather.

I'm flying into KC too. Found a farm letting people gather in a tiny town for 10.00 per car.

Weather!Fingers crossed.
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
I am heading to Smithville Lake north of KC. It's a COE lake with nice camp sites and swimming beach. Also KC is great for BBQ. It's right in the path of totality. Hope we have good weather.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit