cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Forest Service Campground - First Come, First Serve & hosts

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
went up the mountain to Sibley Lake Campground in Bighorn National Forest to see if there any sites available because on Recreation.gov they have a few sites that are listed as First-come, First-serve.

Most as expected were full, except for one site. The site number matched the First-come, First-serve site on Recreation.gov but the issue was that it was open tonight, but reserved tomorrow. This is supposed to be a first-come, first-serve site :h

The campground host said it was an administrative decision.

Are they allowed to do that?

Seems to me they are using their position/power to reserve a site that isn't supposed to be reservable?

Anyway, I didn't make a big scene because frankly I wasn't sure what all they're allowed to do and not allowed to do. Had it been a true first-come, first-serve site my son & would have stayed and spent a few nights with the rest of the family joining us in a few days.

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail
44 REPLIES 44

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
hotjag1 wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
hotjag1 wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
hotjag1 wrote:
We are in the group that likes FCFS campgrounds. We like to do do spur of the moment or short notice camping trips, so FCFS works good for us. Never had a problem with FCFS sites being reserved. I'd be heading to the nearest regional office if I was told that I had to leave a FCFS site because the host decided that he would reserve it.

You'd never know, unless you saw the host place the chairs to hold the spot so it looks as if someone left for a few hours.

That's why I said "if I was told" by the host that I had to vacate my site.

Oh sorry didn't catch that. There was no mention of vacating sites before you brought it up.

The original post(OP)stated that there was an empty FCFS site available when he arrived but he could only stay one night and would have to vacate the site the next day because the host let someone reserve a FCFS site. Because of that, it sounds like the OP didn't stay the one night.

yep that's correct

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Chairs on a FCFS site which you can stay in for one night means someone reserved a FCFS site for tomorrow. Can't do that, no matter what other issues come into play or into a discussion.

Obviously, a host playing favoritism for a buddy.

I imagine host and buddy would complain loudly if another camper did that.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pls disregard my comments, clearly Iโ€™m not paying attention.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
cptqueeg wrote:
hotjag1 wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
hotjag1 wrote:
We are in the group that likes FCFS campgrounds. We like to do do spur of the moment or short notice camping trips, so FCFS works good for us. Never had a problem with FCFS sites being reserved. I'd be heading to the nearest regional office if I was told that I had to leave a FCFS site because the host decided that he would reserve it.

You'd never know, unless you saw the host place the chairs to hold the spot so it looks as if someone left for a few hours.

Oh sorry didn't catch that. There was no mention of vacating sites before you brought it up.

The original post(OP)stated that there was an empty FCFS site available when he arrived but he could only stay one night and would have to vacate the site the next day because the host let someone reserve a FCFS site. Because of that, it sounds like the OP didn't stay the one night.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
hotjag1 wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
hotjag1 wrote:

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
cptqueeg wrote:
hotjag1 wrote:

hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Couple summers ago, we went into S Lake Tahoe on Labor Day without reservations, getting into our first choice, the city CG. NO, not on Friday but on Mondayโ€ฆthank goodness for the working folks who have to go home.
We usually leave on Friday (except 3 day weekends) to reposition and resupply at a Private CG. On Sunday afternoon weโ€™ll try and get into our next CGโ€ฆrarely have we not in 20 years of doing it this wayโ€ฆeven last summer and so far this summer. Close to National Parks doesnโ€™t thin out as muck as other areas on the weekends.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
hotjag1 wrote:

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am also FCFS only and camp only in off season and not on weekends or holidays to avoid crowded jammed up noisy campgrounds. Spent all of May camping and fishing in California and all 3 campgrounds at Lake Davis were nearly empty during the week so I had free choice of all FCFS sites. Also spent a week at Brannan Island SP and camp host (American Land and Leisure) allowed me site 98 even though new system allowed only reserved camping at all sites. On monday both large campgrounds were nearly empty for entire week. Spent another week at Air Force Inn at Travis AFB. Happy trails and happy days

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
hotjag1

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
azdryheat wrote:
First come - first served is a terrible way to operate a campground. If I'm gonna drive all day I want some assurance I will have a place to park at the end of the day.

Thinking youโ€™ll be able to get a site after 1PM is about the same as getting one on Friday. Last week we made sure we were west of Denver on Wednesday so we could get to our first choice, no reservations USFS CG Thursday morning before 9AM. Snagged the only site big enough for our 45โ€™. If weโ€™d arrived at 11 it would have been gone and the CG was full until Sunday afternoon. If weโ€™d not gotten in, there was dispersed camping close by that checked out.

Arrived at our favorite USFS no reservation CG in the Tetons later than planned, (yesterday, Sunday at 2PM) as the Military Vehicle Museum in Dubois was closed for the 4th. Unlike last summer the overflow area only had 3 rigs and we were able to get one of the new added sites. If weโ€™d arrived this morning we could have gotten into our favorite, long site, with good Sat reception. We liked this new site well enough that we are staying put.

Iโ€™m glad many think they need reservations and FHUs, freeing up sites for those of us that prefer to wing itโ€ฆ. helps to be self contained.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
We have preference for public campgrounds. And not a few are FCFS basis.

But noticed that there are lots of campers now that even so-so campgrounds are full.

Not risking this other leg of our trips and booked on independent/commercial campgrounds and then just used it as a base for the national parks we plan to visit.

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
teejaywhy wrote:
WhitehouseLV wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
Locals here become friends w the hosts at non-reserved FS campgrounds so they get a call when something opens. The host typically puts the lawn chairs out to hold the spot until the camper shows up.

sounds like a good approach

Sounds like lack of ethics.

haha

40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We ran a couple of state park CGs for two summers. one was a first come, first served and the other took reservations. Never had problems with the FCFS, but we did have a 'ace in the hole' site for those who came very late and were desperate. Very seldom ever used that.
The reservation CG was done through a reservation service and was subject to errors. We got reservation info via a computer where we printed the 'leaving on this date' cards. We kept a hole site for when the service messed up. This would happen, believe it or not. ๐Ÿ˜‰ If the site was not used by 6PM then it became available to FCFS. Many times, even after dark we had people coming in.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow