cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fort Wilderness Campground

onetwin
Explorer
Explorer
I will be heading to Disney at the end of September. It has many years since I have been there and the DH has never been. We will be staying in Fort Wildness at Disney. So I am asking for any helpful information about staying at the campground like getting to and from the parks, which area is the best to camp in, and any other helpful information. Thanks for any information given. Just want to have a enjoyable time.
2005 GMC 2500HD Everything Stock
2001 Keystone Bobcat 278EBS
2015 Palomino Palomini 150 RBS
2002 Chevy Blazer (chase vehicle)
One Loving husband, Tony
23 REPLIES 23

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our last trip to Disney we stayed at Fort Wilderness, great campground. The weather ruined our trip, but Fort Wilderness is a very nice place.
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

AdequateRV
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, was going by memory on the fast passes. I was just trying to highlight the importance of planning well ahead. (unlike what we did) Good Luck!

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
Fastpasses may be booked 60 days before arrival for Disney hotel and campground guests. If staying off Disney property, you can book 30 days in advance. I suggest visiting Disney Wotld's website for the most accurate info, for making reservations, and for checking schedules and maps.

sssteele
Explorer
Explorer
I think the fastpass window begins at 6 weeks for WDW resort guests. Maybe 2 weeks for off-property guests who have pre-purchased tickets?

AdequateRV
Explorer
Explorer
We were at Ft. Wilderness for Christmas last year. We made reservations the day of our arrival while we were parked at the welcome station at the Florida border. The loop we were in was not full. There was plenty of room.

Christmas day was crazy at the Magic Kingdom.! I have never seen it so busy and I would not go back on that day. We didn't enter the park, but according to the Disney app, the day after Christmas was dead.

Warning: With the new wrist bands, people with reservations in the resorts can make fast passes up to 2 weeks ahead of time. This changes the entire strategy for seeing the park. Since this was spur of the moment for us, we didn't buy tickets until about 2:00 PM the day before. We immediately tried to get fast passes for the next day. The first fast passes available were 5:30 PM.

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
My advice for kfp673 is don't go to Disney that week. The parks often shut down for capacity. Lines are long. You'll get to ride about 5 things per day. We have been twice in "off peak" times and that was busy enough.

We had friends go one time during this week. They said they went to Epcot and at 10:00 am, the Fast Passes to Soarin' said come back at 8:30 pm. When they returned at 8:30, the Fast Pass line was 30 minutes long and the regular line said there was a 200 minute wait.

Disney's awesome but that would take the fun out of it real fast.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
My advice for kfp673 is don't go to Disney that week. The parks often shut down for capacity. Lines are long. You'll get to ride about 5 things per day. We have been twice in "off peak" times and that was busy enough.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
kfp673 wrote:
Hello All,

Anyone know any tricks to getting a site this late in the year for The week after Christmas? I've been checking the site a few times a week for the past month or so and there are no openings. I know many people book this trip a year in advance but trying to see if we can sneak in a trip. Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

Between Christmas and New Years is the most crowded time of year. Your only hope is probably trying every day and hoping someone cancels.

As much as I love Disneyworld, I don't think we'll ever go that time of year. When Magic Kingdom gets so crowded that they stop allowing people in the gate at noon, you know its crazy.

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello All,

Anyone know any tricks to getting a site this late in the year for The week after Christmas? I've been checking the site a few times a week for the past month or so and there are no openings. I know many people book this trip a year in advance but trying to see if we can sneak in a trip. Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:

Make sure you do the monorail loop , we usually pick a rain day and stop at every hotel , get off and walk around..

lol, my wife caught me at this. Finally, after switching to yet another monorail, wife said "Hey! this is just taking us in a circle!"... I said "yes, yes it is..."

Comes from growing up with a railfan for a Dad.

sssteele
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have stayed at Ft. Wilderness a few times, and a couple of other 10-10-10 rated campgrounds. None of the others compare to "The Fort". It is pricey, but fantastic!

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
We camped there once. I took a premium waterfront site in the non pet loop but cant remember the number. We tried the bus system once but it was excruciatingly long to get anywhere. After that it was the ferry to the Magic Kingdom or we got off at the Contemporary and jumped on the monorail. In the CG is a western themed restaurant and they have a show the hoop de do review. Nice pool but it wasn't very refreshing as we went in July and everything is just hot. As everything Disney is expensive we did drive out of the CG and nearby are convenience stores. We needed to replenish our drinking water supply. I would go back there again.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

bhall
Explorer
Explorer
dblr wrote:
djsamuel wrote:
Another good site is fortfiends.net.
Doug

X2, probably the best site on Fort Wilderness available!!!!

x3

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
One thing is for sure, you will not find a nicer, more modern, more amenity-filled campground PERIOD. In our mind, it doesn't really matter which area you stay in (assuming you can fit your rig in there). Either you're closer to the boats or the pool or the outpost. But either way, you're never far away from a short bus ride to anywhere you want to go in Ft. Wilderness.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs