cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fort wilderness for the Disney marathon

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone out there a runner? I have signed up for the Disney marathon and decided to stay at FW. I was told all the buses run to and from FW for the event (3 am is when you can start to arrive!!) anyone have experience with this? How reliable they are (again for the marathon specifically) I have used them countless times otherwise.
2017.. Prime Time Avenger. 32QBI

His.. 2011 F-350, King Ranch, 6.2L. Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed, SRW, 11,000 GVWR

Hers..2008 Ford Expedition, King Ranch Heavy Duty Tow, 3.73 gears

Sold.. 2005 Star craft, Travel Star 18SB

Sold.. 2013 Keystone Laredo, 291
19 REPLIES 19

Twain
Explorer
Explorer
I'm tired from just reading this.
Early 1999 F-350 7.3 DRW CC, 4.10
2016 Open Range Light FL295FBH
3 Kids, 2 Dogs, 1 Wife.

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
I have to look at some as winter approaches, I have been wanting to do the gasparilla, for the past couple of years, maybe this is the year! Before vacation 3 weeks ago, I ran my own timed "half marathon" (the wife kept me honest) I felt good. I need a few weeks to get back to that... Then on and on and on.........

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
modern family wrote:
Thanks for your insight! I will be in the last corral as I have no previous marathon time. We just returned from our 2 week summer vacation, so, now back to marathon training! Plenty of time to get ready.

I started while on vacation. On week 3 right now, but the mileage is still lower than what I normally run. Modern, you need to do the Gasparilla Mich Ultra this year, I finally got signed up.
2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your insight! I will be in the last corral as I have no previous marathon time. We just returned from our 2 week summer vacation, so, now back to marathon training! Plenty of time to get ready.

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
modern family wrote:
Anyone out there a runner? I have signed up for the Disney marathon and decided to stay at FW. I was told all the buses run to and from FW for the event (3 am is when you can start to arrive!!) anyone have experience with this? How reliable they are (again for the marathon specifically) I have used them countless times otherwise.

Just saw your thread... We have run the Marathon every year since 2010.. The bus service from fort wilderness is excellent. We have used it the past three years. Takes all the stress out of getting to the race. We usually will get on the bus about 4:30. Once you get off the bus it will take around 30 minutes to make your way up to the corrals... We are middle of the pack runners so the 4:30 bus works for us if you are starting in one of the first few corrals you will want to take an earlier bus...The buses run continually.

The bus service is available for all the races... Up till this year (2014) we did the Goofy..This year we did the Dopey and will again in Jan 2015... We have gotten a lot of experience with the bus service:)

We always have transport back to the campground after the race so I can't provide any info relative to bus service after race except they are available.

JohnnyT
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
We requested loop 100 or 200.. Wanted to be be closets to stores and ferry service. (I don't want to walk too much and get exercise :Bha..ha

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
modern family wrote:
January 11th...

No Christmas cookie breakfast, lunch or even dinners for me this year!

I'm the opposite, I love to carb load! I requested the dog loop since we have 4 small ones. Also debating on bringing a cart or just renting one when we get there.

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
January 11th...

No Christmas cookie breakfast, lunch or even dinners for me this year!

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
When is the marathon, wanna be sure not to book that weekend so all you runners can have the sites. We usually go a few times a year.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of traffic detours in the area so staying on property is easier but you will still be affected. That is the day to take the monorail or the boat to get around.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

TampaSean
Explorer
Explorer
Modern- We are making a long weekend out of it so we can recover a little and enjoy post race with the family. In Friday Out Tuesday...staying on property for the race takes a lot of the stress out of it...expensive for sure but worth it in the end. Best of luck...we requested the 800 loop but we shall see
Sean, Deb, Reagan & Fin
2000 35' Gulf Stream Sun Voyager
V-10 w/ Banks PowerPack
FMCA F403706

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds good mud fuel! I just hope we can get a late check out on Sunday (Running , packing up, hitching up and driving back will be fun! ) it is only a little over an hour though. The wife can do the packing, but not the driving. This will be my first marathon.

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
modern family wrote:

I'll be there!! It will be my second marathon, first at Disney. We're getting there Friday night and leaving Monday morning. I'm not going to drive after running that distance. Keep a lookout for a black Outlaw F250.

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
modern family wrote:
Thanks all.. I have been looking around the fort friends website as well.

Tampa Sean... How long are you staying? Since I too am in tampa, I was just gonna drive over early morning, but I didn't want to deal with the traffic. We are staying Friday/Saturday, I wish it could be more, but I have to work Monday. An expensive weekend for sure!

Don't be afraid to join Fort Fiends and ask for info, they always seem to have all the latest info but do get side tracked at times but that's part of the fun there.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.