cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas can mount on top of spare tire on back wall of trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you already have a good way to transport your gas for your generator, stop reading – this post is a waste of your time.

But if you have a very small trailer with the spare on the back and no good way to transport your gas can (a fairly common set of circumstances), this may be of interest.

This blog post lays out, step by step, how I built a secure mount for the gas can. Here is a picture of the finished product:

Click For Full-Size Image.

As you’ll see if you read the blog post, this mod results in greater stability for the whole spare tire assembly – it reduces the road vibration substantially. Fair warning -- the blog post has lots of detail and lots of photos. Here’s the link:

Gas can on top of spare tire
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
37 REPLIES 37

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
Looks dangerous. Those fuel containers will not survive an accident. Look at something like a Rotopax container and mount it/them in a safer location.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
discovery4us wrote:
As I was driving to a welcome to the new year and new regulations meeting yesterday and following a tanker truck I couldn't help but think of this thread and how happy I was that I did not see your small gas can in front of me:):):):):).

In the meeting they discussed portable fuel containers and one item was to start phasing out portable metal fuel containers. The thought process is a metal fuel can may cause sparks when it bounces on the road surface whereas a plastic container would not cause sparks.

So ... a dispensing-safety compliant plastic container that bounces on the road surface and bursts to spread loose gasoline all over everything close by to be ignited by whatever ... is more safe than an overall-safety compliant steel container that bounces on the road surface and does not burst but maybe makes a spark when there is no loose gasoline around?

I'll place my bet on the steel safety certifed can ... but of course high-quality safety does not come cheap. 🙂
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
As I was driving to a welcome to the new year and new regulations meeting yesterday and following a tanker truck I couldn't help but think of this thread and how happy I was that I did not see your small gas can in front of me:):):):):).

In the meeting they discussed portable fuel containers and one item was to start phasing out portable metal fuel containers. The thought process is a metal fuel can may cause sparks when it bounces on the road surface whereas a plastic container would not cause sparks.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
5 gallons is too much for us, too. The steel safety can we carry in an outside storage compartment in our small Class C is actually a 2 gallon version similar to this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-U2-26-SX5-Safety-Flammables-Capacity/dp/B002M3DY9W/ref=pd_day0_hl_86_2/...

The little 650 watt Honda we use for additional drycamp battery charging options carries 0.51 gallons and will run for 5-6 hours on that. Leaving home with a full Honda tank and with two gallons in the steel safety gas can, we are set up for five 5-6 hour running sessions with the portable generator.

What we wind up with is three noise level choices for non-solar battery charging. Loudest is the built-in Onan, next quietest is the Honda, and quietest is idling of the main engine.

Probably the Tech forum would be best for RV gasoline transportation information.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
phil, I have looked at those, and I don't like them -- I need a one gallon tank, not 5. And the one gallon metal versions have problems. They have funnels which are awkward, and then after use the funnel is wet with gas.

The Calif certified plastic cans have integral spring loaded spouts that rotate out of the way when you are done filling. It never drips at all. All of the gardeners in my area (and there are a lot of them) use a model similar to the one I use.

But your question raises an important point -- how in the world do most folks transport generator gas? What kind of can, and where to put the can? Maybe there is a really good solution that I am missing?

I think I will start a "survey" thread. I guess on the Tech forum?
About our trailer

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
:h

Dan, why can't you just carry the gas in the back of your tow vehicle in a steel safety can like the style showing in my link?

I assume people do this all over the country in their SUVs/sedans whenever they have to go get gas for their lawn mowers, chain saws, etc. - not everyone has a pickup truck.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Blazing, it's as safe as I can make it -- very stout components. But I am bothered by the idea of a severe rear end collision busting out the back wall of the trailer, which would almost certainly cause the gas can and its "secure" platform to fall. Not likely to happen, but not a pretty scenario.

The fact that it is a gas can would not be visible to a following driver -- the whole thing is up pretty high, and the can is recessed inside the milk crate. A trucker might be able to see into the crate to tell what is inside.
About our trailer

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, upon looking at this mod--it does look to be a bit insecure. I can't help but think the sight of this set up would make the "tail gater" back off somewhat, actually making everyone's trip safer.
We've all seen many rigs with gas cans and generators on the back bumper or attached with brackets. There really is not a way to transport extra gas safely in most cases. Fortunately, there aren't many accidents where this seems to be a problem.
This mod seems to be pretty well constructed--good on you.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
profdant139 wrote:
So this discussion raises a question -- where do most people carry gas cans for their generators? If I had a roof rack on my truck, it would go there. If I had an open cargo bed, the can would go there. But my truck has an enclosed cargo bed -- I have one of those camper shell toppers.

So for me, there are only three choices -- in the cargo bed (where the fumes can build up), on the tongue (no room), or very securely mounted, high up on the rear wall of my trailer.

I have opted for the third choice, but I am very aware that the can is vulnerable to a severe rear end collision. The safety concerns expressed by some of the posters above are entirely valid.

Once upon a time I carried gas for my portable genset. I chose to carry it on the tongue. I agree there is no foolproof location however I felt there was less exposure on the tongue.
A full roll over accident automatically jeopardizes everything. But a rear end collision is very survivable and generally a more minor incident, unless there is a gas can involved!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it's a whole lot better than I do! When I'm bringing the motorcycle (on a hitch mounted motorcycle carrier rack) I bungee cord the gas can to the rail. Not to mention the fact that the bike itself has a 3 gallon plastic tank too!

And yet, somehow I'm still alive...

I'd echo the concern someone had above about the strength of the rear wall, but I assume you'll keep a close eye on that for any signs of impending failure.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

It is illegal to carry propane in an enclosed compartment. It is not safe because propane is heavier than air and will pool if there is a leak.

I don't think that is true for small quantities of propane.

At least in the US, there are limits to how much propane can be carried in an enclosed vehicle. There are also limits on how much propane can be carried in an open vehicle, like the bed of a pickup truck.

-Michael

I’d be more concerned with the rapid expansion of propane gas making the enclosed space an instant potential bomb.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

It is illegal to carry propane in an enclosed compartment. It is not safe because propane is heavier than air and will pool if there is a leak.

I don't think that is true for small quantities of propane.

At least in the US, there are limits to how much propane can be carried in an enclosed vehicle. There are also limits on how much propane can be carried in an open vehicle, like the bed of a pickup truck.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
profdant139 wrote:
Tach, I have seen those cargo shelves, too -- they go into the hitch receiver. And I often see plastic gas cans on them. To me, that looks unsafe -- the gas cans, no matter how well secured, are right at bumper level. Any little bumper thumper will cause the gas to shoot all over the hot engine of the car that just ran into the gas can -- kind of a harsh punishment. 😉

So that is why I have mine far above bumper level. It is much less likely to come loose during a routine rear impact. But a catastrophic impact might destroy the rear wall of the trailer, which is what supports the steel framework of my gas can platform.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on the container as much (or more) than "where or how you put" the container on your TT.

IMHO, the proper starting point for carry gasoline in or on any vehicle is NOT one of the common red plastic containers sold everywhere. This is how one should transport gasoline for a portable RV generator with high safety : https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-U2-51-S-Galvanized-Capacity-Diameter/dp/B000BQO15I

FWIW, in addition to our built-in generator we carry along a small backup generator in our Class C and I transport the gasoline for it in an enclosed outside storage bay using a red all-steel safety container similar to the one in the link above. Of course no vapor or fumes can escape from these type containers and they don't bulge from internal gasoline vapor pressure in hot weather like plastic containers do.

As an aside, many folks carry whole generators on the back of their trailers ... with many of the generators having their steel tanks full of 5 gallons (or more) of gasoline. This is no different than having one of the steel safety cans mounted back there ... except that the certified safety containers are probably more safe than a generator's tank.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tach, I have seen those cargo shelves, too -- they go into the hitch receiver. And I often see plastic gas cans on them. To me, that looks unsafe -- the gas cans, no matter how well secured, are right at bumper level. Any little bumper thumper will cause the gas to shoot all over the hot engine of the car that just ran into the gas can -- kind of a harsh punishment. 😉

So that is why I have mine far above bumper level. It is much less likely to come loose during a routine rear impact. But a catastrophic impact might destroy the rear wall of the trailer, which is what supports the steel framework of my gas can platform.
About our trailer