cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

glacier National Park

krinkle
Explorer
Explorer
I am heading for glacier next summer. And Northern Rockies Canada.
Many questions:
Does my NP pass work for glacier?
What suggestions as to what to see? Where to stay?
Canadian Currency?
Fuel prices in Canada? Hotels around Calgry? Tours to Banff?
Ice Fields? Gondola Ride do we need to get tickets in advance for any of these? Thanks for looking..Thanks for comments..Happy RVing
15 REPLIES 15

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a few minutes, check out our blog posts -- there are seven of them from October of 2012 - this is the first in the series --

Glacier and Canada blog posts

Hopefully, this will give you some ideas!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

shawdowboss
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to Calgary in July, look up the Calgary Stampede on the internet, it's their largest Rodeo, so you may run into minimum stays at Hotels and campgrounds.

A great place to stay on the northeast side of Calgary, and is pretty easy to get to is Bow Rivers Edge Campground in Cochrane, AB. It's a nice little campground on the Bow River. It's pretty easy to get back onto Hwy 1 to go upto Banff. It can be hard to find, but once you get there it's a great little campground and very well kept.

Just don't forget the fuel prices are posted in cents per liter (IE: 133.9 cents per liter) and fuel dispensed per liter. Our trip last summer through Calgary area averaged in the 115-120 price per liter for Gas (about $4.60-$4.80 per gallon).

Best place for swapping US vs Canadian currency is actually at the banks, avoid the places near the border, they charge a fee, most banks didn't.

Don't forget to get Canadian service on your cell phone, or you'll pay very high international prices.
2006 Gulfstream Ultra 6331
33' Super C
8.1L V8 Gas

Geobiker
Explorer
Explorer
Spent a month in Glacier this past summer. 2 weeks at Mountain Meadows RV Park on West side and 2 weeks at Johnsons of St. Mary's on East side. Mountain Meadows is a wonderful park; Johnson is up on the hill overlooking the lake. It is definitely a rustic Park but served us well for the 2 weeks we explored the East side of Glacier. Suggest you make reservations well in advance. Arrived July 1st (Going to Sun Road opened last week of June this year). Used the free shuttle several times to hiking trails and the GTTS, but also drove and parked the toad. The shuttle allowed us to check out stuff that we wanted to come back to later to explore in more depth. If you get a chance (no reservations taken), try to get into the Two Medicine Campground. It is a bit out of the way, but well worth it. But keep in mind, if you need utilities, you can't get them inside the Park. A lot of folks thought we were crazy to spend a month there, but we filled our days and could have stayed longer; most people don't. While camped at Johnsons we took two day trips (less than an hours drive to the border) into Canada. Have fun and definitely try to plan your trip to make certain Going to the Sun is open. It is a highlight.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
This Fuel log should give you some idea of Canadian fuel prices even though I was in different areas of BC.

Use a Visa card with no transaction fees and you'll need very little if any Canadian cash.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
Glacier in 2011 - going to sun rd didn't open until mid July. Best way to visit is to take the free shuttle to top or all the way over to other side and back at your leisure. Traffic was crazy when we were there third week of July, but shuttle made it nice.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

crabbin_cabin
Explorer
Explorer
If you will be in the Canadian National Parks - any or all- for a total of 6 or more days buy annual passes for yourself and companions. Much cheaper than buying day passes each day. Includes the Icefields Parkway.
PM me for details on traveling in the Canadian Rocky Mtn. Parks.

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from Fifth Wheel Forum
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
krinkle wrote:
I am heading for glacier next summer. And Northern Rockies Canada.
Many questions:
Does my NP pass work for glacier? yes, should be good at ANY national park
What suggestions as to what to see? Where to stay? I'd take several days and see everything. I know of no section of Glacier that is not deserving of at least a look. Lots of great hiking trails (if you're into that) and lots of attractions like boat trips on several of the lakes and some of them INCLUDE a hiking aspect also. The main attraction is the highway itself and we usually drive it a half dozen times in each direction as it's the only GOOD way of crossing from the east to west etc.
Canadian Currency?
Fuel prices in Canada? Hotels around Calgry? Tours to Banff?
Ice Fields? Gondola Ride do we need to get tickets in advance for any of these? Thanks for looking..Thanks for comments..Happy RVing
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

bobcouch
Explorer
Explorer
No matter what the exchange rate, a trip to the Canadian Rockies is worth it - some of the most beautiful scenery to be found anywhere!
You can exchange US for Canadian money at any bank north of the border (usually cheaper) or use your credit card (your bank will probably add an exchange fee)
While in the Glacier area, you really should spend some time at Waterton NP. There is a little bit about it - and lots of other stuff from our trip last summer HERE
Bob and Honey Couch
2008 Keystone Everest
2007 Dodge MegaCab w/ 5.9 Cummins
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/

Sturgeon-Phish
Explorer
Explorer
The "Going to the Sun" is awsome drive but is narrow with sharp switchbacks. There are restrictions on length
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually. Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; ISSPRO gauges, PPE boost valve, air box mods, stock exhaust w/o muffler, Line-X, Pace Edwards bed locker power tonneau. B&W Companion. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For many previous posts on GNP search this Forum for `glacier' in the RV Parks section for camping suggestions.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed there twice two years ago on our trip from Florida to Alaska and back. In early June the Going to sun road was closed. We stayed in the St. Mary campground just inside park entrance on east side. Its just a few miles to the border crossing (note to self-don't bring any vegies back to US in fridge). We stayed in same campground in late July, the road had just opened. Since I was a little tired of driving, we walked short distance from campground to information center and took the free bus ride up the road. If you don't mind no hook-up for a few days, its the best way to experience the park. Fuel prices were not that bad in Calgary area. A little higher in Banff.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Glacier Meadows also. Easy drive to East Glacier or West Glacier. Cell service not good but they do have cell booster in shelter in the park, or you can drive a couple of miles to get good cell service. We took the Native American tour rather than the red tours.
In Canada, we changed currency in the town of Canmore at a bank.
The park service did take our park pass.
In Canada, we stayed at Mount Kidd RV Park in Kananaskis, Alberta and drove to Banff and Lake Louise. https://www.mountkiddrv.com/ we made reservations online.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

stubblejumper
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian fuel prices next summer, your guess as good as mine
Exchange rate on currency, again your guess as good as mine
Passes for Ice field and Gondola sold on site, no reservations, the waiting time is usually shown at the ticket booth.
Sorry I couldn't help on the $$ questions but it depends entirerly what your government, my government and the speculators do to us between now and then.
1999 Winnebego Chieftain
Wayne & Leila and Teddi (the Kid in the brown fuzzy pyjamas)

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.