cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Going to the Sun Road

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
I have checked the history of opening of Logan Pass through the years. We will be in Glacier June 8-13, and I am getting really no indication from the NPS website about possible opening date this year. Basically, all it says is that they are still plowing all the snow. I am interested in any info from locals here. Would sure like to cross the Road on our visit in next month.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!
27 REPLIES 27

137buck
Explorer
Explorer
We live about three hours away from Glacier, and considering the amount of snow we got this winter, and that Glacier received over 150% more snow than in the past few winters,and that the plow operators have not got to the bad spots yet, I highly doubt the going to the sun road will be open much before July. Even if they do get it all plowed, the risk of avalanches will still be high and that might keep the road closed too. My advice is to keep an eye on their website and to wish for good weather to help melt it faster.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
We were there last year, West Glacier, and the road opened on June 27th. In 2014 we were in East Glacier and a freak snow storm kept the road closed til after July 4th!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here are the historical opening/closing dates for the whole road. Each year is different. No one can tell you for sure when the whole road will be open. Keep looking at the national park's web site for accuracy. In the meantime, you'll be able to go as far as it's plowed.

https://www.nps.gov/glac/learn/news/upload/Logan-Pass-Open-Close-Dates_Press-Kit-6-26-2017.pdf
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oops!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Twomed wrote:
Yellowstone still lots of snow...Cooke City (NE corner) still has snowmobiling going on.

Glacier always a month or so behind us...soooo??

Oh come in!!!! I put mine away in February! Actually I just emptied the fuel and cleaned them! Ughh!

But weโ€™ll be down by Springfield IL next weekend! Supposed to be near 90!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Frequently the West side up to Logan's Pass will be open a couple of weeks before the East side. When we were there in 2015, the West side opened up on 6/10 or 11. As has been mentioned, going to the NPS website is the best source of info.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Yellowstone still lots of snow...Cooke City (NE corner) still has snowmobiling going on.

Glacier always a month or so behind us...soooo??
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
When we were there in '08, it didn't open till around the 5th of July, I wouldn't bet a paycheck on it being open by the 8th of June, that's pretty early. Check out the webcams.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Average opening date is the 3rd week in June. This year's snowpack is huge. However, they seem to be making pretty good speed so far---all plowing crews are on the road full time, and they have started on the "Big Drift" east of Logan Pass.

Your best bet is to check the park website often, and the webcams.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
maddog348 wrote:
Gambling with Mother Nature ~ Good Luck

TravelSafe ~ StayWell ~ HaveFun JM2ยข YMMV

You just gotta know when to hold โ€˜em and know when to fold โ€˜em. That means watch the opening dates on the NPS website!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Gambling with Mother Nature ~ Good Luck

TravelSafe ~ StayWell ~ HaveFun JM2ยข YMMV

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
June 8th? Plan on driving around the southern route to get from east to west and Many Glacier. This is still great and has its own beauty. We are headed up from Helena next weekend (Memorial Day)and will head up the road from each side to see how far they are. I think last year (not as much snow)it opened on June 28th. You can see the Logan Pass webcam if you want. I can just see a corner of one of the buildings on that. It's still winter up there by the way. We went to Georgetown Lake down around Butte/Anaconda two weeks ago (day trip) and it was still winter up there with the entire lake still frozen over.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Posted just last week.

1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox