cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand lake

SDM
Explorer
Explorer
What is the best park in Grand Lake Co. For a 34 foot fifthwheel. Looking to go in Sept.
8 REPLIES 8

Busdriver
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you go be sure to eat breakfast at the fat cat cafe!

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

1320quick
Explorer
Explorer
Our favorite place to stay in the Grand lake area is Winding River Resort. It is between RMNP and Grand lake. We always see lots of wildlife in the area. Last time we were there, there were two moose right in the campground. The wagon ride is fun as is the horseback riding. They have pancake breakfast on Saturday and Sunday. You can also ride ATV's out of the campground.
2002 GMC 2500HD 2WD, SRW LB 8.1 Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 285TS
1998 Champion 190SX - 175hp Johnson FastStrike

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Make reservations soon as September is a busy month because of the aspen changing and the elk bugling. Plus, the NFS tends to close some CG's right after Labor Day.

Just got back last night from Grand Lake. Been a while since we've been there, but I'm still shocked by the dead trees and large areas that they have clear cut. At least the "baby" trees are now 6' to 8' tall. Now if I can just make it to 100, it will be a forest like I remember from my youth.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Winding River might be hard to get into you should move quickly.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Olive Ridge is a nice enough campground; was just up there last weekend. However...it's about 90 minutes to 2 hours (depending on traffic) from where OP was inquiring -- Grand Lake. Closes this season on Sept. 23rd.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Olive Ridge around Allenspark is very nice NFS campground. You have easy access to the East Side RMNP areas and it makes for a nice base camp dry camping. The Meadow Mountain cafe is an awesome place for breakfast. Haven't been in a few years but used to be run by a hippie. You came in and grabbed a mug and filled your own coffee cup. The ranges and locals come here and you can ask questions and get answers about places only they know. It's an easy day trip to Grand Lake and most anywhere else. Grand Lake got wasted by the Pine Beetles. Nice to visit but not the same as I knew for 20 years prior. There used to be a German Restaurant down the road toward Denver. The canyon you come up to Allenspark from the south is awesome unto itself. Early Sept AFTER the kids go to school is about the best time to go imho. And, for a relatively easy hike try the Meadow Mountain trail. Beautiful amazing views at the top looking up the spine of the park. Gem Mountain to the North is relatively easy. Twin Sisters is beautiful as is Estes Cone. And be sure to eat at "Sweet Basilico the Italian place in Estes Park that is in an old Pizza Hut. Awesome Italian food. I first went in like 1998. We never miss. We haven't been since the last flood though. Oh there is a public artisian well with some of the best water in the world there in Allen's Park. We used to fill up prior to hikes. Donate a buck.

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
Winding River. We have been there dozens of times since the mid 80's. It is close to the west entrance, there is horseback riding, and as stated earlier dry sites to FHU sites.

In September you may actually catch the elk rutting. Also moose roaming through the park.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Best" is always subjective, depending on what your needs/wants are in a CG. That said, there are some choices.

Two commercial CG/RV Parks just outside of town on the way in to RMNP. Winding River Resort and Elk Creek CG and RV Park. Both are nice, Winding River has a a choice of no hookup, W/E hookup and FHU sites, and is a bit spread out. Sort of like camping on a ranch, it has the kind of vibe to it.

Inside Rocky, there's Timber Creek CG, which is all first come/first served sites. Though I've seen rigs your size there, it's fairly tight for bigger rigs. Tight not due to trees, as they've been cut down, just that the sites cater more to tenters and smaller rigs. But it could be doable.

South of town there's about a half dozen USFS sites that could be doable for you. Stillwater CG has some W/E sites. The others don't. H E R E - Arapaho NF is a link that will take you to the USFS website. The ones listed for Granby are what to look for. Most of these will be able to handle bigger rigs, as I've always seen large 5ers and MHs there.

If you are OK with being a bit further out, there's Snow Mountain Ranch at the YMCA of the Rockies. Great sites there, they have FHU sites available and can handle bigger rigs.

A caveat. Depending on when you plan to go in September, some of these may be closed or closing. When looking at the USFS sites, look to their season opening/closing date. Stillwater for example, has Sept 22 listed as closing date, while Green Ridge is open until Oct 14. Also, some of these will most likely be fully reserved until the end of their season. Winding River is open until Oct 1.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.