Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Great Smoky Mountains Park new firewood regulation

ncscz
Explorer
Explorer
Updated regulations

Firewood Regulations: Beginning March 1, 2015 only heat-treated firewood that is bundled and certified by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) or a state agency may be brought into the park. Campers may also collect dead and down wood found in the park for campfires.

Certified heat-treated firewood is packaged and clearly marked with a state or federal seal. Heat-treated wood is available from a growing list of private businesses in communities around the park. Concessioners at Cades Cove, Smokemont, and Elkmont will provide heat-treated wood for sale during their operating season (typically March through October at Smokemont and Elkmont and through December at Cades Cove). Visit www.nature.org/firewoodmap for a map of local stores and businesses that sell certified firewood. Additional information about this regulation.
CarriGo
Model 2320
8 REPLIES 8

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
6.7 tow rig wrote:
Mr. Camper wrote:
Which is why we eliminated this from being an issue when we bought a propane, smokless fire pit. Never been told it violates any fire bans and we can always be kepy warm when sitting outside.

While Im sure those are pretty nice, for me the real thing just cant be beat.

I agree but over the past decade and a half bans are increasing as are complaints from smoke. T miss the smell of real wood but in trying to be sensitive to others with pulmonary issues this was the best compromize.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
The thing that actually spreads these pests is the policy of not being allowed to spray em with insecticides! Colorado forests were destroyed by this policy. The bugs are alive & well and moving into California now.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Camper wrote:
Which is why we eliminated this from being an issue when we bought a propane, smokless fire pit. Never been told it violates any fire bans and we can always be kepy warm when sitting outside.

While Im sure those are pretty nice, for me the real thing just cant be beat.
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

stuckinthesand
Explorer
Explorer
I almost busted out laughing when I rolled in there a couple years ago with some firewood I had just bought right outside the park at a gas station and the park service employee checking me in ask if my wood was inspected and he held up a piece of wood with a inspected stamp on it. I told him my wood didnโ€™t have a stamp and he said the first thing I was to do when I got to my camp site was to burn my wood in the fire ring. I didnโ€™t tell him that is what I planned on doing anyway. Nobody ever checked to see that I โ€œdestroyedโ€ my uninspected wood.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
That`s great, because we all know that the bugs obey all state and U.S. borders!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
Been dealing with similar restrictions in NY and PA. We do most all our camping in NY, rules are your firewood can only come from NY state and then only be transported 50 miles. Sucks since I live just 5 miles south of the state border and can't use my own firewood.
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Katy"
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2011 French Bulldog Shelter adopted edition, "Roscoe"
1982 DW, "Rachel"
2016 DD "Harper", the newest lil camper.

janechucknicode
Explorer
Explorer
The good thing about this statement is that "collect down and loose wood" The heat treating is a great way to emilinate any "bugs" but also inceases the costs of having a neat campfire. Probably for 5 pieces of samll wood for 6 bucks to 3 pieces? :h

Over all being in several state and federal parks over the years, this is probably the best way to circumvent the"bugs". NOw that the govenenment has allowed all the shipping companies to bring inthese pests from over seas.:M

My 2 p.
Cheers and have a great and safe camp.
Volunteers in state parks are good for our environment.