cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hanging with the Animals

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our grandkids loved their swim adventure with the manatees at Crystal River, FL. They said it was more fun than Disney World.

We've planned a few more trips where they can interact with animals. Here's what I found on the internet as possibilities.
Swimming with otters.
Llama and alpaca hikes.

We like to do themed trips so for the next few with the grandkids we're going to the animals. If you know of some other destinations that offer these kinds of experiences feel free to list them here.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
8 REPLIES 8

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
A mare with a 'calf'?? ๐Ÿ˜„

yeah.. my mistake
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
A mare with a 'calf'?? ๐Ÿ˜„
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe not so much of a grand scale, remembering taking the kids thru Six Flags drive thru safari in NJ, we thought it was very underated, as the kids had a blast having all the animals converge on our vehicle.

This was past trip at Assateague Island State Park, MD, yes the wild horses can sometimes be a nuisance ๐Ÿ˜‰

^^^ on our last trip the horses for some reason decided to visit and stay at our site multiple times, maybe it was because they liked using our bunk end as a scratching post, this was repeated at 1am in the morning. Abruptly waking us!! :E

^^ Mom and her older calf at our site.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

dedmiston
DrewE wrote:
Assateague might be of interest--see (but do not interact closely with) the wild ponies. I suppose technically they're feral ponies, if you're the overly pedantic type.

The St Louis City Museum is working on constructing a touch tank for fish (rays and sharks, I think). I hope that would be enough to include in in your theme idea; but in any case, it's one of the most fun places I've ever been to, and probably even more so for most children. It's also very hard to describe briefly and accurately.

I'd like to visit the pedantic ponies instead. Everyone else judges, so why not get judged by the horsies too.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assateague might be of interest--see (but do not interact closely with) the wild ponies. I suppose technically they're feral ponies, if you're the overly pedantic type.

The St Louis City Museum is working on constructing a touch tank for fish (rays and sharks, I think). I hope that would be enough to include in in your theme idea; but in any case, it's one of the most fun places I've ever been to, and probably even more so for most children. It's also very hard to describe briefly and accurately.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know this sounds ridiculous but, it actually happens, DO NOT go to Yellowstone and try to interact with the animals, Bison, Elk,Bears, Wolves, they're WILD,(and dangerous)contrary to what some seem to think, it Not a petting Zoo, Many of the animals there can kill you, some will eat you after they kill you.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
If visiting southern Utah for the national parks, Zion, Bryce, Best Friends is a cool place. Thousands of acres devoted to animals in a beautiful setting. Lots of tours and opportunities for hands on.

Best Friends
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't want to get wet, Ellie Schiller Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park (not far from Crystal River) has an underwater observation area where one can watch the manatees at feeding times. (I don't know if it is open at this time -- because of Covid.)