cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heading for Charleston, SC

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I will be heading out on our first long-haul adventure with our fiver. We'll be pulling out, Monday morning, for Charleston. Plan on 3 days, 2 nights to get there, averaging around 300 miles/day. No push; no rush! Have res'vs at James Island County park for 5 nights and booked around $200 worth of tours and events, while there.

We've been planning since early winter and are very excited to get going. Have heard nothing but great things about the area so I hope it all works out as planned. :C
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude
21 REPLIES 21

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
Horsedoc wrote:
Please use caution with the overhead limbs on trees as you leave the 4 lanes and get on the surface streets. Very low in a few places and we nailed one with the AC on the MH. Fiver may be even taller. Take some bugspray also. Other than that it is a great place to visit.
Try Reds Ice House on Shem Creek in Mt Pleasant for sho nuff good seafood

Absolutely watch those trees and hanging vines..cpl yrs back caught a hanging vine...after looking at it, a few had caught it...tore my air horn and destroyed my A/C cover.....now I go to Oak Plantation
But do like Red's Ice House.....
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please use caution with the overhead limbs on trees as you leave the 4 lanes and get on the surface streets. Very low in a few places and we nailed one with the AC on the MH. Fiver may be even taller. Take some bugspray also. Other than that it is a great place to visit.
Try Reds Ice House on Shem Creek in Mt Pleasant for sho nuff good seafood
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Windwalker55
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from Charleston a few weeks ago. We really loved it. Preferred it to Savannah, I think mainly because it didn't seem as crowed and was easier to drive to from the campground. Would recommend getting an early start one morning and parking in the Visitor Center parking lot and taking the public shuttle downtown and just strolling. That beats trying to find a place to park. I think the daily charge for the parking at the Visitor Center is like $5 but so much easier than fighting the traffic. We loved James Island County Park. Be sure and take your bikes if you have any. It is a great place to ride. See our blog, the link is in the signature below for more details on our stay.
2007 Kodiak 160 Hybrid
"The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir
My Blog

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from Charleston about a month ago. The Hunley exhibit is only open to the public on the weekends. Patriot's Point/USS Yorktown was nice.

I'm into photography so I spent a couple of hours at Magnolia Cemetery as well as Charles Towne Landing. Make sure to see the Angel Oak Tree and the Old Exchange & Provost Jail. Nick's Pink Pig had some pretty good BBQ.

Alot of the exhibits and places to see close at 5pm so plan your day accordingly.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Terry, you're right - it is the Yorktown. The Saratoga is in Newport, RI. waiting for its conversion to a gazillion razor blades. I served on one of her sister ships, the Lexington, in Pensacola when she was a training carrier for new pilots. She's now a museum in Corpus Christi. I visited about 10 years ago. She looks a little different because of all the displays, but she "smells" the same as she did in the late 60's. A combination of black oil and aviation fuel. ๐Ÿ™‚
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

TPUC
Explorer
Explorer
Cosmic Jacks on Hwy 17 in Mt Pleasant has the best Dogs I have ever eat!
2012 Nissan Titan Pro 4X
2014 Cruiser Aire

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
I'm going to take it for granted that the Hunley in on your list. It is a great time, not cheap but worth every penny.
Matt

Most certainly is! Tickets are in hand! ๐Ÿ˜„
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to take it for granted that the Hunley in on your list. It is a great time, not cheap but worth every penny.

We hit the Cairo and the Monitor also in our spring excursion this year.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
If you like seafood try Hyman's Seafood http://hymanseafood.com/
Aarons Deli is connected and has great corned beef sandwich's. You can buy one and share it as it is huge.

My favorite restaurant when I stay at James Island Park.
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
One of my favorite cities and JICP is first rate. Going back next spring, have fun
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

byrdr1
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy that campground great place to camp. Charlestown has so much to do and see..Enjoy..
randy

2014 F-350 SRW CC/LWB 4X4 6.7PSD

2011 Keystone Cougar 327RES
Happy Campin'
Randy
Piedmont area of NC

RV_CONUS
Explorer
Explorer
300 + or - Historic Sites

There is an interesting Android App for Charleston Traveler.

There are a number of free and low cost sites that can be visited, as well as any number of tours by boat, carriage, etc.

3 NPS Historic Sites/Monuments.

This is this Country Boy's favorite friendly city.

Have fun!

Charleston Mobile Apps
2006 Allegro Open Roads 34WA
2015 GMC Terrain
2009 Blue OX Aventa LX
2009 Brake Buddy Classic

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want a unique dining experience, check out the "SeeWee Restaurant" on Rt 17 near North Charleston. It's a converted old general store, complete with the original well worn wide pine board floors. The food is fantastic and quite reasonable. They even sell Nehi Grape Soda, in case you're a MASH/Radar O'Reilly fan.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can also catch the ferry to Fort Sumter from Patriots Point. You ride right around the Yorktown. It's a great ride.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers