cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Henry Ford Museum in Michigan

CapeM1
Explorer
Explorer
Have decided to try to plan a September trip to the Henry Ford Museum in Michigan. The museum and surrounding activities look like a great place to explore but it is hard to tell from the sites about how long it would take to comfortably get through the museum and the Greenfield Village. Can someone share their experience as we are not sure as to how many days to estimate our stay! Thanks.
2010 Rockwood 2607
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 2500, Ext Cab
18 REPLIES 18

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
I scheduled 1 full day for each, but have been back 2 more times in 10 years. It's one of those places that you can spend more than a day at, but basically get tired. Love it there.

agb2529
Explorer
Explorer
It depends a lot on how you do museums. If you just buzz up and down the aisles like you're at a trade show you might be able to do it in a day, but you'll be missing out on one of the best collections tracing the history of technology and how it shapes our lives around. Three day minimum, and if you do the Rouge Factory Tour (HIGHLY recommended) four would be better. A full day at each site, a half day at the Rouge, and the remaining time to catch what you missed the first time through. Try to plan your Rouge tour either first thing in the morning or right after lunch break so that you can see the line in operation. The factory floor part is self-guided on a catwalk above the final assembly area - we found it easy to kill 2 hours just watching that. Great place.

We stayed at the Wayne County Fairgrounds and found it convenient and decent enough - we're normally state park campers but for a destination trip like this it's fine.
The Long Grove Happy Campers -
Alex & Sandi
2003 Suburban K2500 6.0 L 3.73
2003 Dutchman 19T Sport

cubmaster252
Explorer
Explorer
When we went we tried to do both in 1 day. Could have easily spent 8 hours in the museum and not seen all of it. The village you can do in 2 hours or less, it is not significantly different than any of the re-enactment villages you see at many federal and state parks. When I go back, and I intend to do so, it will be museum only and I will spend all day.
2015 Crossroads Zinger 32QB
2015 RAM 1500 Big Horn 4x4 QUAD CAB with HD Tow Package
Nights camped in 2015 - 33
Nights camped in 2016 - 17

CapeM1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great suggestions. At least now I have a general idea of where to start. We have been watching the Saturday a.m. TV show "The Henry Ford Innovation Nation with Mo Rocca" for a while and the museum has certainly peaked our interests. We will probably aim at 3-4 days.
2010 Rockwood 2607
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 2500, Ext Cab

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
A day each the first time. Growing up there, I visited the village maybe 10 times, a whole day each, over 15 years, and have been back for a whole day another 5 times in the past 30 years. I've been to the museum at least five times, some of those being guided "theme" visits into areas not usually seen by one-time visitors with just a day. You cannot see everything in the open collection in one day, but you can likely have a quick look at everything really of interest to you.

Both parts of The Henry Ford are constantly changing, and special events are frequent during the summer season, special exhibits from time to time. I still have family in the area, and some of them maintain memberships and visit both places several times a year.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
The Gilmore was great! Hubby went back for a second day.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
If you are a car guy you will want check out the Gilmore Museum in Hickory Corners, a bit west of Detroit. Full day of old cars there.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Cape May,

A native guide here (actually a refugee from the east coast megopolis).
A decent (now) camp ground is the Wayne County Fairground. It is as close as you can get and even the FHU is not expensive. Just don't be there in early August as that is fair time. Break the rig there as parking at the museum is not good for RVs.

The Henry Ford Museum is good for a day just by itself. Get there at opening and wear comfortable shoes. It is 18 acres under one roof.

Greenfield Village is just as much, but watch the weather as it is a village and requires miles of open air. It is now scooter friendly.

Will a day do either? Yes, but you have to keep moving. I volunteered there and DW was a docent and we can still kill a day there with great ease at any time and when there is an event....

There may be other stops you should make. If you get back to me, I can rattle on a while and it might be worth your while. Just tell about other interests and I will shake some books.

You will be at least 12 road hours getting here, As we have not run that route in recent years, I cannot suggest a good place for a mid- travel break.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

tracyb-oh
Explorer
Explorer
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, one day for the museum, one day for the village, and one day for the factory tour.

We found this timing was great. Enjoyed the trip and would go again.
Tracy and T
2017 Sanibel 5th wheel
2015 Dodge Ram crew cab long bed Cummins diesel

richconn
Explorer
Explorer
If your a car guy. Go the 3rd weekend in August. You can take in the Woodward dream cruise. Largest single day car event in the world. It's an amazing thing to see. If you love cars, the are a lot of othe places and things to do in the Detroit area. We took about a week, stayed in a central place and saw all the sights, including the Henry ford.

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a few years for us, but two days worked fine.
We camped fairly close, but I can't find the name of the campground.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, one day for the museum, one day for the village, and one day for the factory tour.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
1 day for each worked for us.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
How long to shop around inside the museum? That's kinda subjective. Look at the trains, look at the cars and old fast food joint. Maybe some other old machines. Few hours I guess? If you're going to read every plaque it could take all day.

The village? Not my scene no estimate there.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed