cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Historical flood at Tannehill State Park.

AlabamaTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Our Tannehill State Park was flooded this week. Several videos on Facebook have shown us the destruction. Trailers were trapped and water was 3 ft. deep in the camping areas. The park will probably be closed for several days, until the creeks subside.
Lawrence, Dianne "Roll Tide"
13 REPLIES 13

halfpintwil
Explorer
Explorer
Campground 1 opened on Friday evening May 2nd. It took a while to get the septic system back up and running as all the lines had to be jetted out, then the pumps replaced as the gravel and mud in them permanently ruined them. One benefit is that all of campground 1 was upgraded to 50 amp service.

There is still a lot of work to do - replacing bridges, fences and soil and a little bit of cleanup, but the park is fully operational other than that some of the craft cabins are not usable yet. They have never had a flood like this.

The park lost a lot of trees in the April 27th, 2011 tornadoes and it is a miracle that no one was hurt then.

The new storm shelter not quite operational (no electricity and bathrooms not operational yet) but they had us go in it during the storms last week.

It's a great park, there is a lot to see and do. If you can, schedule your visit during an iron pour and you can make your own to bring home.

AlabamaTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I drove down to Tannehill this morning. We live only 17 miles from park. Campgrounds 2 and 3 are OK. Campground 1 is a disaster. It will be closed for a while. However, they were working with heavy equipment and many workers. We really love this place.....it will be back.
Lawrence, Dianne "Roll Tide"

reubenray
Explorer
Explorer
We are at Jennings Ferry COE Campground and about 1/3 of the sites are underwater. Plus more will go under tonight. We had to move from our site to one that was on higher ground this afternoon. The ants are everywhere due to the flooding.

We will head to Foscue COE Campground tomorrow. Hopefully it is OK.
2017 Newmar Ventana LE4037
2016 Chevy Equinox

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Pardon this intrusion (I have posted about our enjoyment of Tannehill) but to Handbasket: My home town is ORE CITY. So if you ever get to East Texas we can show you around a bit, though I have to tell you that little remains of the historic sites. On the other hand, there is Lone Star Steel Mill, now part of US Steel. There were old iron works around Rusk and Jefferson that I know of. Also Kelley Plow Company in Jefferson.

Now, back to the main topic in which we are all concerned: Tannehill Iron Works.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Handbasket wrote:
I knew that name sounded familiar. I came across it in doing research for an odd personal interest of mine, historic iron works. It's on my current list of trips to get around to, probably this fall.

Glad to see no one was hurt. Looks like the damage is all fixable, tho' it may take a while.

Observations... pretty much all of this kind of ironworks from the 1700's & well into the 1800's were water-powered. Water wheels powered huge bellows blowing engines to create the forced draft needed for the furnace to create the needed temperatures to separate iron from iron ore. So it wasn't rare for the equipment to get damaged or wiped out by spring floods. These furnaces supported pretty large communities, from actual furnace hands to wood cutters or coal miners, stable hands, and freight wagoners.

Streams tend to create flat plains as they wander back and forth over the eons. This makes a great site for a campground, but it's also a flood plain. So this kind of thing happens occasionally.

I hope they're able to get the damage fixed and the CG up and running for the big event have coming up in a few weeks. Best wishes to all involved.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"

Glad to see another interested in historic tech.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
I knew that name sounded familiar. I came across it in doing research for an odd personal interest of mine, historic iron works. It's on my current list of trips to get around to, probably this fall.

Glad to see no one was hurt. Looks like the damage is all fixable, tho' it may take a while.

Observations... pretty much all of this kind of ironworks from the 1700's & well into the 1800's were water-powered. Water wheels powered huge bellows blowing engines to create the forced draft needed for the furnace to create the needed temperatures to separate iron from iron ore. So it wasn't rare for the equipment to get damaged or wiped out by spring floods. These furnaces supported pretty large communities, from actual furnace hands to wood cutters or coal miners, stable hands, and freight wagoners.

Streams tend to create flat plains as they wander back and forth over the eons. This makes a great site for a campground, but it's also a flood plain. So this kind of thing happens occasionally.

I hope they're able to get the damage fixed and the CG up and running for the big event have coming up in a few weeks. Best wishes to all involved.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ever notice how often CGs are located in flood prone areas? Something to think about when the rain comes bucketing down.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hope no one was injured.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Tannehill Park Flood Damage
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry to hear that. Stayed there on our very first trip bringing our 5er 'home' to MD from TX. Got our first taste of mountain music there too, a dulcimer festival was on when we pulled in.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We have stayed several times at Tannehill and greatly enjoyed it.

Very sorry to learn about the flooding. Wondering if any trailers were seriously damaged?

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! I'm sorry to hear about the flooding there. I hope everyone is okay.

Tannehill Ironworks SP had been in our plans when we came north from FL to AL last week, but we stayed closer to Montgomery instead.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Teamfour
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear that. Tannehill is a great CG.
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 locker, 3,295 Payload
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 7.8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH