cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How long in Zion and Bryce

4huskers
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking of visiting both Zion and Bryce NP. DW has some mobility issues so we won't be hiking around. We plan of using the shuttle in both parks. How many days at each would give us a good look at the sights.
24 REPLIES 24

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Here are my thoughts .... based on personal experience of being to these places several times.

Rocky Mountain N P - We moved to Estes Park from Minneapolis when I retired (age 55) in Minneapolis. Built a wonderful home there on an acre overlooking Lake Estes to the Cont Divide in the Park. We loved Rocky and spent a lot to time there hiking and snowshoeing and picnicing and picture taking. But Rocky has changed due to massive pine beetle infestation. Do not get me wrong; it is still a beautiful N P; just that a great portion of the Park has become brownish dead trees and not the green ones we loved. Trail Ridge Road (Hwy 34 - toad or t v) is still one of the most spectacular drives you will ever see. I think Old Fall River Road is now open again after the flood damage and it has always been so special as well. We love Rocky; not as much as before, but still love it. Stay on the Estes Park side; 95% of the activity is there.

Glacier N P - We love it almost as much, maybe AS much, as Rocky. I do not think the recent fire will have much impact down the line but I really do not know. Would seem it would only really impact some hiking once all is cleared up. We love the east side better as we are hikers; hey, not like we did at Rocky when we lived there but still do pretty good. Our favorite hikes are Grinnell Glacier (suggest the boat / hike combo though we have done it both ways) & Iceberg Lake. There is also a nice walk around Swiftcurrent Lake. We stay at the KOA on the east side and like it a lot (we are FHU people). The west side is more commercial but the hike to Avalanche Lake is not difficult and recommended.

Capitol Reef. Maybe one of the best kept secrets. Beautiful park. And then you have the Escalante Staircase (Hwy 12 - tv or toad recommended) which is so beautiful. This is a wonderful area and not the crowds. But the beauty!!

Incidentally, we leave on 8/27 for two months and the trip includes a week each in Moab (Arches and Island In The Sky) and Torrey (Capitol Reef) and 5 days in Bryce - not going to Zion but down to Grand Canyon for a week.

Hey, three miles down Bright Angel and back up is testy - it is steep. And you are from FL! Good for you.

I am going to send you a P M on where to look at some of my images.

Enjoy.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Lauren wrote:
Love those and also so many more greater ones I think including Glacier, Rocky Mtn, Grand Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef -- and those are some them in the western U S.

We have hiked down into Bryce and hope to do so again; THAT is really something!

LOVED the hike to the bottom of Bryce. Last September, we made it 3 miles down Bright Angel Trail. Hope to hit the 4.5 mile mark next time. That was really an experience as well.

Out of the parks you mentioned, we have not been to Glacier, Rocky Mountain and Capitol Reef. How would you rank those? All 3 are on our list.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Love those and also so many more greater ones I think including Glacier, Rocky Mtn, Grand Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef -- and those are some them in the western U S.

We have hiked down into Bryce and hope to do so again; THAT is really something!
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
bar_20 wrote:

But I agree, I always wondered why Zion was even a NP. If Zion is your first NP you might like it. However if you've been to Yosemite, Yellowstone or the Teton's you will probably be disappointed.

Huh! You're joking, right?

Probably not .... we have a place about 20 minutes from Zion and do not see any reason to visit there. Now Bryce is a whole different NP with lots to see for a non hiker.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
bar_20 wrote:

But I agree, I always wondered why Zion was even a NP. If Zion is your first NP you might like it. However if you've been to Yosemite, Yellowstone or the Teton's you will probably be disappointed.

Huh! You're joking, right?

bar_20
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:
Great shot !

We are going thru there again and, again, skipping Zion and staying at Bryce.

Unless one is hiking, which you personally say you are not, all you will get is a stiff neck looking up from the bus. Except for the road down from the tunnel to the V C.

We will be spending 5 days at Bryce again.

At Bryce you will get a stiff neck looking down! LOL

Steve & Donalee
2007 Roadtrek RS-Adventurous
2011 KIA Sportage SX
1999 Jaguar XK8 convertible
1948 MG TC
2005 PT Cruiser convertible Toad

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Great shot !

We are going thru there again and, again, skipping Zion and staying at Bryce.

Unless one is hiking, which you personally say you are not, all you will get is a stiff neck looking up from the bus. Except for the road down from the tunnel to the V C.

We will be spending 5 days at Bryce again.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

Twain
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
I really agree that if you don't sit outside at night at Zion, you have missed half the show! This was taken in Watchman Campground last November, right outside my trailer:

At night, Bryce can get chilly -- bring a sweater!

Wow!!
Early 1999 F-350 7.3 DRW CC, 4.10
2016 Open Range Light FL295FBH
3 Kids, 2 Dogs, 1 Wife.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
I really agree that if you don't sit outside at night at Zion, you have missed half the show! This was taken in Watchman Campground last November, right outside my trailer:

And a flashlight -- Great shot, Thanks for sharing,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I parked the RV half way between those parks and spent one day at each. if you don't hike, there are more interesting parks to visit.
bumpy

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
We attended the Star Party at Bryce about 2 years ago that was presented by the Park Rangers with telescopes set up to see some stars, etc. Warning--it was really dark in the parking lot where the telescopes were set up--with small red lights for guidance. BUT it was GREAT! Check the park schedule for dates and time--usually not presented when the full moon is up.

GREGORYJ
Explorer
Explorer
I think it depends if you hike or not. If you do hike, a week in Zion and
3 days in Bryce.
Ellen & Greg
08 National Dolphin DL-35Ci, Kelderman Air Ride, Rear Trac Bar
Workhorse W22, RoadMaster Rear Sway Bar, Towing 08 Smart Car

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I have been camping with an injury I couldn't walk on. Personally, I can spend a lot of time just staring at awesome views. Then maybe take the shuttle to another awesome view.

Even able-bodied, the first time I went to the GC I just sat on one rock for 3 hours and looked. Then I moved to another rock about 20 feet away :).

At that rate, you could easily fill a week or two at each, if you have the time.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.