cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to see grand canyon

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Next fall we are leaving MI after labor day, looking to wander over to montana, and then down to grand canyon. This will be the first retirement big trip, and plan to continue the trip to FL. Kind of a big loop from MI to FL for the winter.

How, what, and Where, do I visit the grand canyon?
21 REPLIES 21

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Since you are wandering, hit both the North and South rims. They are very different parks, being 2,000 feet different in elevation as well as having different views of the canyon itself. Do be aware that snows happen as early as late September even at the lower elevation of the South rim. Been there when it did.

And absolutely make reservations at both as early as possible. They are popular places to visit, and fill up quickly.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of boondocking around Tusayan. If you have a park pass you can use the dump station and get fresh water without any charge and zip back to your campsite.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
South rim and stay in Trailer Village. Try for a reservation as soon as possible. Use the bus system within the park.

This. If you miss the reservation for Trailer Village thereโ€™s a nice RV park not far outside the gates in Tusayan near a couple of restaurants and IMAX and you can catch the shuttle into the park if you want.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
North Rim closes in mid-October, long after Labor Day.

I'm a fan of the North Rim -- cooler, lots of trees, many fewer people. Yes, the views are better on the South Rim, but the north side has some great views, too. Check out this blog post -- we were there in late Sept:

North Rim
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are up for it, take a mule ride down into the canyon. That's where the money shots are. The mule rides are from the south rim. I've been to both south and north. The south rim has soooo much more to offer.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
South rim and stay in Trailer Village. Try for a reservation as soon as possible. Use the bus system within the park.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The north rim closes early because of snow so the south rim is where you need to go. Tho I was a north rim promoter for years we did the south rim this year and I have to admit it has better views. Drive the road to the east entrance and stop at the viewpoint pull outs and get out and walk around at each. At the main village walk the the rim trail. If you are very fit then take some of the trails off the rim trail but they can be strenuously steep.
We boondocked for 5 days in the surrounding National Forest. There was plenty of room but we were there early in the season in April. Before the big mobs arrive. Maybe the crowds will diminish by Fall.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper