cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hurricane Joaquin - BIG CHANGE IN PLANS

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
For six months I had plans to head south to Florida on Oct 3rd. Well, the pending hurricane has made a serious dent in those plans. Will be sitting out the storm here at home and then plan to leave on Monday or Tuesday.

Anyone else changing plans because of the hurricane?
22 REPLIES 22

cheteckie
Explorer
Explorer
Good wishes for your wife's surgery, and a speedy recovery!
2013 Allegro Bus
2013 Subaru WRX

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts. We just returned from the orthopedic doctor. There are broken bones in three of Diana's fingers. Surgery will be done next week and will involve pins and wires, a cast and therapy. I'm doing some research on the procedure right now. I feel so bad for my wife. Looks like this is a minimum 3 month situation and can take 6 to 12 months for maximum improvement.

Hard to imagine a few days ago when I started this thread I was talking about the pending hurricane and now today I'm talking about hand surgery. How quickly life can change.

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry for your wife's accident. Florida isn't going anywhere, so it will still be there after she gets fixed up.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Bill/Diana wrote:
BIG CHANGE IN PLANS !!!

We were out for our morning walk trying to get done before the rains starts. Well, unfortunately my wife tripped on the sidewalk, fell to the ground and broke 3 fingers on her right hand.

So it can rain all it wants since our travel plans are now on hold. The emergency room took x-rays and did a temporary splint. First thing tomorrow we have an appointment with the hand surgeon for a thorough exam determination as to what is needed.

Oh my.

First things first...best to the wife getting the hand taken care of.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

fchammer1
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving central PA on Sunday, Oct. 4th as planned. May travel a little slower, but still plan to be in Bonita Springs sometime Tuesday.

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
Keep an eye on the tracking and swing west. Stay on major routes on high ground and you may be able to skirt it. May add a couple of days of travel time but it is better then sitting at home.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107

tplife
Explorer
Explorer
It's just wind and rain. We had 10 inches from Friday to Sunday last July in Estero, Florida, with 5 inches on Saturday alone. Got the house ready for renters, did yardwork and planted a tree. Kids Go-Pro'd the flooding and thought it was a hoot. Here in SoCal the crazy tree-hugging media freaks out when a tenth of an inch is forecast! Seriously...

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
Broken hand? That stinks. I hope everything heals up okay.

I'm also in Southeastern PA, and I'm staying put during the storm as well. Not because I'm concerned about traveling, but because I don't want to come home days or weeks later to find that a tree fell over and landed on my house (again) and everything is wrecked. Smart move staying put.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
BIG CHANGE IN PLANS !!!

We were out for our morning walk trying to get done before the rains starts. Well, unfortunately my wife tripped on the sidewalk, fell to the ground and broke 3 fingers on her right hand.

So it can rain all it wants since our travel plans are now on hold. The emergency room took x-rays and did a temporary splint. First thing tomorrow we have an appointment with the hand surgeon for a thorough exam determination as to what is needed.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Sure Florida is fine as the hurricane is East.

The issue is the in between up the coast and where the OP is currently located...in PA...and where the storm is headed.

He'll get safely on his way after the weather system passes. No need to rush.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Leave on the 2nd and beat all of it. Even a cursory reading of the advisories would indicate the high wind probabilities are of very limited range from the center.

Not even raising an eyebrow here in North Florida and no rain forecasted associated with the storm.

Should be beautiful here on the 3rd.

X2
Go ahead and get on the road.

The hurricane is 400 miles from Florida which is close by all means and it is NOT even considered a threat to Florida by NOAA.

There are NO warnings for Florida and in fact the next few days are supposed to be the best we've had in a long time.

Weather stations in OTHER states exaggerate the news of a hurricane anywhere for ratings.:R Florida news/weather takes them very seriously for obvious reasons. Don't use your local weather station for Florida weather to plan your trip.

Florida news and weather shows this hurricane is not a threat to us.

Come on down, we'll leave a light on for ya!:C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Klueck
Explorer
Explorer
I'd stay put too if you're in a well built house. No need to be traveling with the potential of strong winds and rain.

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Interstate Forecast

I found the above link as a useful tool in making my decision to stay at home for a few more days before heading south. Travelling I95 in dry weather is a challenge and I have no desire to drive 500 miles in the rain and wind.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Leave on the 2nd and beat all of it. Even a cursory reading of the advisories would indicate the high wind probabilities are of very limited range from the center. Not even raising an eyebrow here in North Florida and no rain forecasted associated with the storm. Should be beautiful here on the 3rd.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)