cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hurricane Michael is forcing us out..where to camp?

imq707s
Explorer
Explorer
My family and I towed out travel trailer down to Fort Pickens last weekend for a week long vacation. Well, Sunday they tell us that there could be a tropical strorm coming, and last night (Monday) they force us to evacuate the campground. So now with it turning into a cat 3 (or larger) hurricane that's going to make landfall Wednesday......our plans to have a week at the beach is pretty much done.

We are currently camping at a place near Mobile Alabama. Home is Springfield Missouri for us......and ideas on a nice place to camp between Mobile Alabama and home that will be out of the path of the hurricane.....and also be around some form of water (lake or river)?

Just looking for options to try to get the most out of our ruined beach vacation. Any ideas would be great!

Thanks!
24 REPLIES 24

fdwt994
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Easy answer... GO HOME

Doesn't answer his question. Rude.
2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
Port st Joe and the area around there and st George island is getting the worse of the hurricane. From what I have saw from storm chasers the area is in very bad shape I would try a state park in central Florida or maybe Alabama

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
reelcamper1 wrote:
Having the same issue! We were heading to St. George Island this friday!!! Plan B was a state park in Georgia, which they just closed!!! Going to Disney next week, but no clue where we are headed this Friday!!!

You certainly need to check the St George website, that park is not so far from the predicted landfall and wind and storm surge might cause damage there. The spring parks in the FL peninsula, Manatee, Rainbow ect should be OK but they are usually 100% reserved.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
imq707s wrote:
Would staying in Mobile AL tonight be a bad idea? Or is that too close to the action?

I sure hope that Ian Q and family headed inland. This is now a high end Cat 4 hurricane with the possibility of becoming Cat 5 at landfall and the surge for Mobile is expected to be up to 9 feet which is deadly level.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

reelcamper1
Explorer
Explorer
Having the same issue! We were heading to St. George Island this friday!!! Plan B was a state park in Georgia, which they just closed!!! Going to Disney next week, but no clue where we are headed this Friday!!!

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
Folks have mentioned Land Between the Lakes, it's fun go for it. If that doesn't appeal to you there's quite a few SPs in Arkansas that are great...Petit Jean, Lake Catherine, Lake Fort Smith, Mount Magazine. Eureka Springs area is neat too.

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the Tennessee State Parks......most of the Army Corps have closed for the Winter in the Tennessee area....
Mark

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
imq707s wrote:
Would staying in Mobile AL tonight be a bad idea? Or is that too close to the action?

I would not be anywhere on the Gulf Coast or within 200 miles.

Mobile is in the area for a tropical storm watch. Not what I want to do in a RV.

Something in the Hot Springs, AR area would be on your way home. There are 2 large lakes in the area.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

stevepk
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Land between the Lakes
2018 F-250
2017 Prime Time Avenger ATI 27RKS

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Easy answer... GO HOME

Why? If there's some other place the OP can vacation that's out of harm's way then why not? This may be his only chance to have a vaca this year.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Or you might want to drive on up to Jackson/Clinton, MS..

There are several good campgrounds in the area. That will be pretty directly on your way home, if that is what you want to do.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Head Northwest to Mississippi.

Here are a couple of possibilities:

Lake Perry State Park and Paul B Johnson State Park

in the area of Hattisburg, Mississippi.

Hope you are already on the way.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
imq707s wrote:

Way too close, I've been thru many of these storms. It is supposed to arrive Wednesday so the areas around the landfall will start to get tropical storm force winds tonight maybe and the roads may be clogged with people leaving the target zone. We are hundreds of miles away here and they give this area 40-50% chance of strong winds here. But all this is unpredictable and you need to act as if the worse possible conditions are about to occur. Optimism is not the right plan.

I would not stp in Hattiesburg myself keep going.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
Try Issac creek coe park in Alabama or Service Park also a coe Park in Alabama both are on the river and nice . I wouldnโ€™t stay in mobile area winds will be pretty high. Or go on over into Mississippi to one of there state parks or coe parks. Sorry that you didnโ€™t get to enjoy your week at our beautiful beach at ft Pickens but it will flood there and wash the road away going in there