cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-95 Stopover South Ga. / North Fla.

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
I know this has been asked before but I haven't seen it in awhile.

We're headed back to the Fort in December after over eight years away. Our tradition is to run down to southern Ga. and overnight. That way we can head out again the next morning and be at the Fort around lunchtime.

We've stayed at McIntosh Lake before and also Country Oaks. Both of these campgrounds are in south Georgia. Not that we mind staying in the same place again but sometimes its nice to just change things up. Plus there may be a better place to overnight. We really don't want to stay at a Flying J or Wal-Mart. That's not for us.

I hear the Jacksonville North / St. Mary's KOA is a nice stop. The website says $50 for the cheapest 50A spot. I can do that but its a little pricier than I assumed for an overnighter in early December.

Any other places nearby? Thanks.
16 REPLIES 16

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
samsphones wrote:
Pecan Park RV Resort in Jacksonville is very nice. All pull thrus, on concrete and level, it is near the airport.

The airport traffic is the reason we'll never stay there ever again. Planes go right overhead and very low. There is a nice flea market next door.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Crooked River is great but it's an excursion off I-95.
-jbh-

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
jayco304 wrote:
Live near you and we go to the Fort in Dec also. We leave Friday and stop at Jacksonville north koa, have free breakfast provided by the campground then fuel up across the street and be at the fort around lunch on Saturday . That is what works for us each year.

we also stop for overnight and breakfast, right off the exit.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
While you are there, go into St Mary's and eat at St Mary's Seafood. It looks like a dive bar, but the best seafood on the lower coast.

Not only is there food real good, but the prices are very reasonable and the deserts are out of this world.

Crooked River State Park is very nice and quiet. If you are lucky enough you can grab one of the few river front sites and have superb views. Only thing wrong is it is about 10-15 minutes off the interstate and same back on.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Well, thanks to everyone. At least I know to drop close to $50 for this stop. In 2006, McIntosh lake was $25. Can't recall what Country Oaks was. But that was ten years ago.

Its Disneyworld. Nobody expects to go and do things too cheap anyway. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jayco304. That's exactly the plan. Leaving Friday, the 9th. Plan to be at the Fort by noon on Saturday and make supper around 6:00 at San Angel Inn. :B

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stop frequently at Walk-About. Georgia Exit 7 (Harriet's Bluff Rd)

While you are there, go into St Mary's and eat at St Mary's Seafood. It looks like a dive bar, but the best seafood on the lower coast.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

DCS7
Explorer
Explorer
We didn't camp at Crooked River State Park in St Mary's/ Kingsland but we did hike there. Looked like a nice place.

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kiki Rv park at Cracker Barrel exit in Kingsland. They used to be Passport America, not sure now. Check in at motel. Nice long pull thru's. Pads on the narrow side, but nice stopover.

Crooked River State Park is out that way, too.

Sfla2
Explorer
Explorer
Wallk About CG exit 6-7 in Ga. P.A. 16-20 i think all pull thrus (old king george) easy of -on I 95 abt 2 mi off.
98 Coachmen "C" Santara Model FL (Front Lounge) 30.4
Ford V 10 Super Duty (same as E 450)

jayco304
Explorer
Explorer
Live near you and we go to the Fort in Dec also. We leave Friday and stop at Jacksonville north koa, have free breakfast provided by the campground then fuel up across the street and be at the fort around lunch on Saturday . That is what works for us each year.
Please visit www.cram-a-lot-inn.com to learn more about our travel adventures.

2000 F350 7.3PSD
2010 Jayco 324BHDS Travel Trailer

X3 for Pecan Park... We stop there each year on our way to the Fort or the Keys . . I do believe that it is right around $50.00 or just under
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
In north Jax there's Pecan Park RV and Flamingo Lake RV. Neither are really cheap but both nice
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

samsphones
Explorer
Explorer
Pecan Park RV Resort in Jacksonville is very nice. All pull thrus, on concrete and level, it is near the airport.

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
jaycocamprs wrote:
Blythe Island Regional Park Brunswick, GA

X2, nice place and close to I95. Some of the roads are a little tight but entirely doable.
Larry