cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interesting observations at Fishing Bridge in YNP

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
I was trying to add a couple of days to my stay at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone National Park today. All of July is open except for the one day I want to add.

I need a 30' and under site for my 27' (measured from bumper to end of hitch) Jayco 23RB. For grins, I looked at all three classes, 30' and under, 35' and under, and 40' and under.

There are lots of sites still available for 30' and under, which I guess stands to reason since there are a lot more of them. But I was still surprised that so many were open at this relatively late date.

But with the 30' and under, May has 11 thru 31 open. Jun has 1-4, 5-10, 16-17, 23-24, 29-30 open. Jul has 6-31 open. Aug has 1-31 open. Sep only has the 1 thru the 5th open.

For 35' and under the story is a little different. May has 11 thru 26 open, with a couple of other single days. Jun has only 2-3, 8-9, 16, and 29 open. Jul only has 7-8, 14, 21, 27-28 open. Aug has 3-4, 6, 11-31 open. Sep has only 1-4 open. Rest of month is sold out.

For 40' and under, you're mostly SOL. May is sold out. Jun has only 7-10 open. Rest sold out. Jul is sold out. Aug has only the 18th open. Sep only has the 4th open.

If you are small, you still have a lot of choices at Fishing Bridge. Medium sized and the choices are pretty slim. Large and you are mostly out of luck.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch
12 REPLIES 12

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Cali-MinnieWinnie wrote:
1stgenfarmboy wrote:
Monkey44

I did not know you could boondock in a National Park, if I had we would have went more often during the 9 years I owned a TC, where do you boondock ?

True boondocking not allowed, but all campgrounds, besides Fishing Bridge, are dry camping, which some people call boondocking.

Correct.

Boondocking isn't camping in a developed campground that doesn't have any hookups. That's Dry Camping.

Boondocking is camping in undeveloped areas without hookups, like national forests, deserts and BLM land.
That's why they call it Boondocking.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Cali-MinnieWinn
Explorer
Explorer
1stgenfarmboy wrote:
Monkey44

I did not know you could boondock in a National Park, if I had we would have went more often during the 9 years I owned a TC, where do you boondock ?

True boondocking not allowed, but all campgrounds, besides Fishing Bridge, are dry camping, which some people call boondocking.

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Nicer, yes. But it's something I don't care about. While in Yellowstone, I plan to get nice when I drive to Lamar Valley, or up towards Bear Tooth, or visiting the geyser's.

When I get back to FB, I'll want a quick bite to eat, and go to sleep using my CPAP machine.

scrubjaysnest wrote:
For us if FB is the only CG available we will skip Yellowstone. All the other CG's in YNP are much nicer.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
1stgenfarmboy - true boondocking with a vehicle in undeveloped areas in most national parks is not allowed; however, most that have camping have semi developed areas where there are vehicle accessible sites with no hook ups.

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
For us if FB is the only CG available we will skip Yellowstone. All the other CG's in YNP are much nicer.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
Monkey44

1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

wireman
Explorer
Explorer
I believe FB is the only campground in YNP with full hookups, if that matters in anyone's plans.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I read somewhere that almost all NP campgrounds can accommodate single recreational vehicles up to 25' in length in most of their individual sites. In my experience in them, we've found that to generally be true. Most can probably handle up to 28', but over that and you're into the full hookup pull through campgrounds. Still, there are some advantages to larger motorhomes and towables.
Ultimately, size matters. One way or another, and you can take that any way you like. :B
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
This is exactly one of the benefits of a Truck Camper. We can go pretty much anywhere -- I know, too small for some, but we've spent up to five months on the road at one time, and can't recall a single time where we could not find a place to camp - even occasionally boon-docking in a pinch. Altho, we also boon-dock via planning as well, but sometimes it's the only way in some areas at the last minute, and no reservations, which we never make.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Evidence of the practicality of smaller RVs.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know, if not a little surprising. Thanks for posting. Kind of wondering where to go with our new rig this summer. We have enjoyed YNP twice before. Would always go back.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)