cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Itinerary for southern Oregun and northern Cal

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Seriously I'm not lazy just very overwhelmed.
1st stop is Great Basin National Park
We already have reservations for that visit.
2nd area to visit is Crater Lake National Park no reservations but pretty much sure we can get in somewhere near.
3rd is Redwood National Park which this area is so confusing. Looks so large and not sure whether to camp in 1 place and drive or camp in different areas.
4th is Lassen Volcanic National Park
And the rest not sure what order but Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks
And maybe Yosemite if we can go later in September.
We are in no hurry we fulltime and as long as we r back east in November.
Usually I'm so in the know of where to camp and what to visit in the area but this area of the country is so vast I'm just at a halt.
And no we didn't make advanced reservations but we usually have no problem finding a place even if it's an hour from where we want to go.
I know long post but any suggestions would sure be appreciated.
Thanks so much Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
17 REPLIES 17

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Beautiful Diamond Lake NFS campgrounds where I camped are close to Crater Lake with good easy drive between the two. Drive up to Crater Lake north entrance from Hwy 97 on hwy 138 is straight and easy. Drive and road conditions on Hwy 50 by the GB NP is excellent all the way across Nevada and Utah.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
At Crater Lake National Park check out Broken Arrow NFS that is "better" that Diamond Lake NFS campground. Each is Dry Camping, I think????

Yosemite in the Spring when water is flowing is +++++++. In the Fall with out water ??????

In OR do a google search for the best water falls & State Parks to see. Check out Ainsworth SP and John Day Painted Hills
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would change routing.
Great Basin then Lassen, then Redwood, followed by Crater Lake.
Lassen campground we used was Summit. Try to hit Bumpass Hell
Redwood, we stayed at Jedediah Smith. Memory tells we it was tight and crowded.
Crater Lake, Mazama is closes. Hard to get hook=up sites.
We came across Nevada on US 50. Loneliest Highway! Watch your fuel.
Think about adding Oregon Caves.
Maybe go into Oregon on US 101 and take jet boat trip up the Rogue River. That leaves from Gold Beach, OR
We only make reservations when we know area has a lot of tourism. We use many forest service, BLM type campgrounds. Watch out for tourism spots on weekends. It will be hard to find sites.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker