Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Joshua Tree - Black Rock vs Indian Cove

steveandjil
Explorer
Explorer
Dear All,

We are thinking of a few night stopover in Joshua tree on a mid December visit to our son in LA. The 2 CG's that take reservations in the winter are Blackrock and Indian Cove. Indian Cove gets better ratings on RV park reviews, but it is hard to know - any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Steve Schwartz

2015 Winnebago View
10 REPLIES 10

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Black Rock would be my last choice for camping to visit JTNP, JMO
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
In December it might just be Indian Cove as its all you can get. Like others have said, they are very different. Also, the last time we were at Black Rock driving in was like trying to negociate huge pot holes. I don't think anyone who cares owns the roads so they just leave them torn up. Its been 2 years so hopefully its been fixed but always seems to be an issue.

steveandjil
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all!

Steve
Steve Schwartz

2015 Winnebago View

CVD
Explorer
Explorer
Jumbo Rocks is probably the best way to experience Joshua Tree in an RV, but Iโ€™d only go there if are arriving Mon โ€“ Wed, maybe early Thu. It fills up this time of year closer to weekends, especially with all the rock climbers (most rock climbers are tent campers, prefer Oct/Nov and Mar/Apr, can get really cold Dec - Feb).

Indian Cove is a very worthwhile alternative. You do get a sense of being surrounded by giant rocks.
Cliff

1999 Itasca 34V DP
2000 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Honda CRV

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for avoiding Black Rock, particularly site 11. Took me forever to level the trailer & felt like I was in someone's back yard. If you need it, the only advantage is it is one of the few campgrounds in the park with cell service.

I also prefer Jumbo Rocks...

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Neither campsite is directly in the park, of the 2 Indian Cove is much nicer. Like mentioned if you arrive mid week try Jumbo Rocks, in the park and the nicest. There are quite a few in the park and should be no problem finding a space mid week. Don't forget there are no services except at Cottonwood and it's the north side of the park that's the best, bring plenty of water as none in the park. PM me if you need any other info.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wasn't impressed with Black Rock. The interior roads had potholes that would swallow a Mack Truck. Cottonwood, on the south side, was nice but awfully crowded. I found the best campsite just south of JTNP at the BLM dispersed camping area. For $5 you can use the fresh water fill, dump station and garbage dumpsters in the Park.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
IF you make a mid-week stop you sholdn't need a reservation.

These previous JT posts should help.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

steveandjil
Explorer
Explorer
Good suggestion re Google earth. I was thinking of making a reservation and then seeing if Jumbo Rocks has any open sites - that seems quite beautiful. I have also heard people love Belle - a very small CG. We have a 25 ft Winnebago View, and have been told that even that may be a tight fit in many spots ..

Any more suggestions/reviews of the other CG's welcome along with the two above.
Steve Schwartz

2015 Winnebago View

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
I've been to both. Black Rock seemed more like an RV park almost in the back yards of local homes, or at least it did 10 years ago on my last trip there. Indian Cove is more remote.

It may help your decision to take a look on satellite maps or Google Earth.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed