cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lets Share those Special Spots!

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Its winter time, and almost New Years, so often I just reflect, opened up Google Maps of the US and……….

Name 1-10 spots that you had only run across (discovered) in your travels, spots you had not really heard about that you would recommend to a friend.

These can be just a Great Drive or a Location that you would recommend if a good friend were going to be in the area. Trying to ID spots that are not on the regular Radar – These, I hope are your own little treasures, which you would make every effort to visit if in the area, and would encourage a friend to see/drive. Not a National Park but a private, memorable, spot that you would share.

Mine, in no particular order;

Trout Lake, Colorado

If you are on Rt 145 in Colorado going to or from Telluride, be sure to take a little time to drive around the Lake and dream about spending some time here. Beautiful and serine …… might just be a little Cold and Isolated in the Winter, but is just so inviting in the Summer or Fall.

Wind River Canyon, Wyoming

Wind River Canyon has been in my head from the first time I drove it in 1971, when taking my wife on her first cross county trip, we drove it after looping into Yellowstone, as I would play back the drive I always felt like the River was flowing up hill, this allusion is partially from the fact that it flows north and the road is losing elevation as it heads south. Beautiful drive, great CG on the south end and memorable in the Fall.

The drive on Rt 39 from Ogden, Utah to Snowbasin Ski resort.

While working we would do Christmas with the kids in Salt Lake City (Fly in Fly out – for 10 years mid 80’s to mid 90’s) This was annual drive to Snowbasin before it was discovered, for the SLC Winter Olympics. The drive up the canyon and by the reservoir was always just Beautiful in the Winter.

Alpine Lake , West Virginia

Alpine Lake is just one of those hidden spots that because of the water and all the activities was always just inviting, year round – Deep Creek Lake is just down the road and is the more popular Maryland resort.

Lake Toxaway, North Carolina

Lake Toxaway, - because of the wildness and the proximity to GSMNP is just a hidden Gem – although I think Atlanta and the South like to call it their own, with almost endless trails and countless waterfalls it is always a great area to spend time.

Boulder, Colorado to Nederland on Route 119

The drive from Boulder to Nederland is just FUN! Add in Boulder Creek and you will enjoy – car or bike. Added bonus is it is connected to Peak to Peak Highway.

Rt 6 Golden, Colorado to Idaho Springs

Because we spend so much time in Colorado I am able to get my quick Rockies fix by making this drive – you are SURROUNDED by the Rockies, and it just says welcome home. (add to that that it avoids the heavy I-70 traffic just hard to not love)

Marble, CO

Stopped here just by chance and got to do the Marble – Marble festival – 4x4 roads and so much Character.

Drive Rt 24 Minturn to Leadville

Do this often as Leadville and Red Cliff are two of our favorite towns – never taken a drive that I did not enjoy what we were seeing.

Rt 36 through Kansas

Just gets you back to what it used to be – small towns – not much traffic – just enjoyable. (does not hurt that the Granddaughters live in Colorado).

As usual I have gotten carried away – here’s hoping you all get a chance to take time and visit a few of these locations.
Let’s see if you can add to these.

Happy New Year,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach
27 REPLIES 27

hbrady
Explorer
Explorer
Two of my favorite spots

Rangeley Lakes Region, ME

White Mountain National Forest, NH

Several locations to camp in each location. Both have beautiful drives and they aren't very far apart from each other.
2015 RAM 2500 HD Crew Cab w/ 5.7L Gas
2018 SportTrek 290vik
Blue Ox SwayPro

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
Its winter time, and almost New Years, so often I just reflect, opened up Google Maps of the US and……….

Name 1-10 spots that you had only run across (discovered) in your travels, spots you had not really heard about that you would recommend to a friend.

These can be just a Great Drive or a Location that you would recommend if a good friend were going to be in the area. Trying to ID spots that are not on the regular Radar – These, I hope are your own little treasures, which you would make every effort to visit if in the area, and would encourage a friend to see/drive. Not a National Park but a private, memorable, spot that you would share.

Mine, in no particular order;

Trout Lake, Colorado

If you are on Rt 145 in Colorado going to or from Telluride, be sure to take a little time to drive around the Lake and dream about spending some time here. Beautiful and serine …… might just be a little Cold and Isolated in the Winter, but is just so inviting in the Summer or Fall.

Wind River Canyon, Wyoming

Wind River Canyon has been in my head from the first time I drove it in 1971, when taking my wife on her first cross county trip, we drove it after looping into Yellowstone, as I would play back the drive I always felt like the River was flowing up hill, this allusion is partially from the fact that it flows north and the road is losing elevation as it heads south. Beautiful drive, great CG on the south end and memorable in the Fall.

The drive on Rt 39 from Ogden, Utah to Snowbasin Ski resort.

While working we would do Christmas with the kids in Salt Lake City (Fly in Fly out – for 10 years mid 80’s to mid 90’s) This was annual drive to Snowbasin before it was discovered, for the SLC Winter Olympics. The drive up the canyon and by the reservoir was always just Beautiful in the Winter.

Alpine Lake , West Virginia

Alpine Lake is just one of those hidden spots that because of the water and all the activities was always just inviting, year round – Deep Creek Lake is just down the road and is the more popular Maryland resort.

Lake Toxaway, North Carolina

Lake Toxaway, - because of the wildness and the proximity to GSMNP is just a hidden Gem – although I think Atlanta and the South like to call it their own, with almost endless trails and countless waterfalls it is always a great area to spend time.

Boulder, Colorado to Nederland on Route 119

The drive from Boulder to Nederland is just FUN! Add in Boulder Creek and you will enjoy – car or bike. Added bonus is it is connected to Peak to Peak Highway.

Rt 6 Golden, Colorado to Idaho Springs

Because we spend so much time in Colorado I am able to get my quick Rockies fix by making this drive – you are SURROUNDED by the Rockies, and it just says welcome home. (add to that that it avoids the heavy I-70 traffic just hard to not love)

Marble, CO

Stopped here just by chance and got to do the Marble – Marble festival – 4x4 roads and so much Character.

Drive Rt 24 Minturn to Leadville

Do this often as Leadville and Red Cliff are two of our favorite towns – never taken a drive that I did not enjoy what we were seeing.

Rt 36 through Kansas

Just gets you back to what it used to be – small towns – not much traffic – just enjoyable. (does not hurt that the Granddaughters live in Colorado).

As usual I have gotten carried away – here’s hoping you all get a chance to take time and visit a few of these locations.
Let’s see if you can add to these.

Happy New Year,

Just thought I'd bring this back to life - might help in a few peoples plans this Summer.

Busskipper
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of our favourites is also our 'home' CG, i.e. the one where all of our multi month trips begin & end.

It is not listed on RV Park Reviews, though it was on their old server.

Not surprisingly it is a state park. It is Martinak SP, Denton, MD. Just about smack dab in the middle of the DELMARVA Penninsula. There are the usual trails but there is also a boatramp for the paddlers & powerboaters on the Choptank River. Lots of easy to get into big rig sites, provided you know what reverse gear is for.

A real sleeper of a place as most roar past not even seeing the sign as they head to Ocean City & places like Castaways or Fort Whaley.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
Ken,

Interesting how most of us suggest locations that are not close to HOME, yes I was hoping that you might share a few more Local spots.

I think part of the problem is that the places that one visits near home don't seem that "secret" as everybody in town knows about them! I have very few "secret spots" anyway, as I've already posted about most places I've been here in CO. I mean I've posted about kayaking/canoeing on Crystal Reservoir, listed our boondocking locations above Buena Vista in the Arkansas River Valley, and have even talked about how rugged the road to Crystal can be. No, the main "secret spots" I still keep secret are backpacking locations miles from the nearest mapped trail. Not giving those up! (No RV access anyway!).
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
I don't know if I'll get to 10, but here are a few. Not all are necessarily picked for the scenery. Some are for history, some are for the isolation.

Pea Ridge National Military Park I didn't know about this historical place until I was in the area.

In Nevada, there are a couple of real scenic CG's off of I-80 between Wells and Elko. Check out Angel Lake CG above Wells and Thomas Canyon CG up Lamoille Canyon east of Elko. Once there, you won't believe you are in NV. There are many NFS and BLM CG's hidden in the mountains throughout the state. Most are free and except for weekends, you'll have the entire CG to yourself.

So many visit Moab for the magnificent scenery of Arches and Canyonlands NP's. But for a little different experience, drive the La Sal Mountain Loop Road. You get up high in elevation (and much cooler, too). Great views of the red rock territory from an almost aerial perspective. Take a picnic dinner, find a nice pull off, and watch the sunset from up there.

Not my usual recommendation but the Crystal Bridges Art Museum in Bentonville, Arkansas has an amazing FREE collection of art work. Yeah, the museums in DC are nice (and many free), but if you find yourself in the middle of the country, check out this art museum.

Speaking of Arkansas and as a geologist, one of the finest caves in the country is Blanchard Springs Cavern north of Mountain View. Because this cave wasn't discovered until relatively recently, there was little desecration of the cave. In other words, the stalactites and stalagmites haven't been broken off. There is a CG near the caverns, but it isn't recommended for larger rigs.

On the subject of caves, we really enjoyed Lava Beds NM in northern CA. There are many lava tubes open for exploration. What's cool is one can go in many of the lava tubes without a guide. Go in one entrance and come out another. Interesting campground also.

Outside of Ely NV is Cave Lake SP. Yeah, there's "Cave" in the name, and it may exist, but the nice thing about this park is the lake and you're in the middle of the desert. We use this park as a stop on our trips along US 50 through NV. Nice CG.

Another out-of-the-way SP we have used is Red Rock SP in western OK. In a hidden canyon down below the open prairie, it is protected from the winds. A creek flows through the canyon, there are climbing areas on the red rocks, and there's even a pool in the summer. A real oasis in the "middle of nowhere".

For an interesting hot springs experience, try hiking up the Boulder Creek trail above Elwha in the northeastern part of Olympic NP. A couple of miles up there are some natural hot springs and people have build small pools to soak in. Interesting to go in the fall when it's a little cool and the leaves are changing.

I know Busskipper was probably looking for something a little different than these from me, but these are all places worth visiting.

Ken,

Interesting how most of us suggest locations that are not close to HOME, yes I was hoping that you might share a few more Local spots.

Something like Crystal Mill -a spot that is usually only found if you are talking to the people with local knowledge.

But when this post runs it's course I'll save it for locations to look for as we travel.

Thanks,

Bill

I still remember posting a picture of Stagecoach State Park and you not only knowing the picture but the history - Epic.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
I am not sure whether these two places have been mentioned above, but we really enjoyed Goosenecks State Park in Utah -- silent and remote. And Peter Lougheed Provincial Park in the Canadian Rockies -- as beautiful as Banff and Jasper, much quieter (no trains), great hiking.

And one more -- the Silver Jack Reservoir area east of Ridgeway, Colorado.

Dan I'll just go to your Blog and try to Hike into the spots you have camped - IMHO they are all pretty Special.

Bill
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
vermilye wrote:
I'm willing to list some of my favorite campgrounds, a few of which may be new to some (Most of the links are to photos from my visits):

Ricketts Glen State Park, PA. 22 waterfalls and hundreds of cascades along a 7 mile hike. Dry camping, but bathrooms with showers, and a lake for boating & swimming.

Red Rock Canyon State Park, CA. Dry sites are backed by wonderful rock formations, some nice hikes through the desert.

Valley of Fire State Park, NV. 2 campgrounds, one with water & electric & showers, the other primitive. Incredible colors that can be seen from the roads or, better yet on a number of hiking trails.

Babcock State Park, WV. Some hiking trails, but the jewel of this park is the Glade Creek Grist Mill. The campground has many electric sites, bathrooms with showers.

Goblin Valley State Park, UT. You can hike through the "Goblins", incredible formations spread across the valley. Dry camping with bathrooms & showers.

Caverns of Señora, Señora, TX. While there is a campground with water & electric, the only feature of the location is the cavern. I've visited many, and this is the most beautiful (and one of the best tours) of them all.

Kodachrome Basin State Park, UT. Many water & electric sites, great hiking trails through beautiful rock formations. Within easy driving distance for visits to Bryce Canyon.

While I can't call them "hidden gems", two National Monuments that too many pass up are The Devils Tower in WY, and Craters of the Moon in ID. Both have dry campgrounds, good hiking opportunities, and interesting evening & nighttime views.

While they don't have campgrounds (there is a commercial campground in Lee Vining and some forest service locations nearby) a visit to Bodie Ghost Town and Mono Lake are well worth a stop if you are traveling US 395 near Lee Vining, CA.

All of these are great - BUT............ I've been to Oswego and I was sort of hoping you might share a few of those special drives that are local - or the ones you found on the drive out to the West.

I have been lucky enough to catch Fish and Chips on the Lake the first day they opened (You Know the place right on the Lake - Rudy's?) - that alone is special, throw in a Summer Sunset on the Lake and it will never be forgotten.

Thanks, Jon for sharing the Special spots that you enjoy out West, it will give all of us a little more to look for when driving through.

Bill
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
Way too generous. I figured most of us would hoard our favorite RV spots like a fisherman hoards his fishing holes. But while we're at it: Hellsgate SP, ID; Patrick's Pt. SP, CA; Ft. Ebey SP, WA.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
Would it also help if you specify the size of rigs able to get to these spots?
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if I'll get to 10, but here are a few. Not all are necessarily picked for the scenery. Some are for history, some are for the isolation.

Pea Ridge National Military Park I didn't know about this historical place until I was in the area.

In Nevada, there are a couple of real scenic CG's off of I-80 between Wells and Elko. Check out Angel Lake CG above Wells and Thomas Canyon CG up Lamoille Canyon east of Elko. Once there, you won't believe you are in NV. There are many NFS and BLM CG's hidden in the mountains throughout the state. Most are free and except for weekends, you'll have the entire CG to yourself.

So many visit Moab for the magnificent scenery of Arches and Canyonlands NP's. But for a little different experience, drive the La Sal Mountain Loop Road. You get up high in elevation (and much cooler, too). Great views of the red rock territory from an almost aerial perspective. Take a picnic dinner, find a nice pull off, and watch the sunset from up there.

Not my usual recommendation but the Crystal Bridges Art Museum in Bentonville, Arkansas has an amazing FREE collection of art work. Yeah, the museums in DC are nice (and many free), but if you find yourself in the middle of the country, check out this art museum.

Speaking of Arkansas and as a geologist, one of the finest caves in the country is Blanchard Springs Cavern north of Mountain View. Because this cave wasn't discovered until relatively recently, there was little desecration of the cave. In other words, the stalactites and stalagmites haven't been broken off. There is a CG near the caverns, but it isn't recommended for larger rigs.

On the subject of caves, we really enjoyed Lava Beds NM in northern CA. There are many lava tubes open for exploration. What's cool is one can go in many of the lava tubes without a guide. Go in one entrance and come out another. Interesting campground also.

Outside of Ely NV is Cave Lake SP. Yeah, there's "Cave" in the name, and it may exist, but the nice thing about this park is the lake and you're in the middle of the desert. We use this park as a stop on our trips along US 50 through NV. Nice CG.

Another out-of-the-way SP we have used is Red Rock SP in western OK. In a hidden canyon down below the open prairie, it is protected from the winds. A creek flows through the canyon, there are climbing areas on the red rocks, and there's even a pool in the summer. A real oasis in the "middle of nowhere".

For an interesting hot springs experience, try hiking up the Boulder Creek trail above Elwha in the northeastern part of Olympic NP. A couple of miles up there are some natural hot springs and people have build small pools to soak in. Interesting to go in the fall when it's a little cool and the leaves are changing.

I know Busskipper was probably looking for something a little different than these from me, but these are all places worth visiting.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
These gems are in our part of the country. They are off the beaten path but well worth the visit.

Herod, IL - Garden of the Gods, beautiful vista, rocks. Nice easy trail near parking lot. Pharoh Campground primative $10 pump for water, come prepared, tall pines. Check out Gary Marks Shawneehillsoutdoors.com

Grafton, IL - Grafton is on the IL river, Wineries, flea market 4th weekend April-Oct., shops, bars, weekends busy and fun, drive the great river road toward Alton, IL, Raging Rivers water park, river bike trail and Pere Marquette SP (elect. camping)Lodge, scenic lookouts. enjoygrafton.com

Belleview, MO - Elephant Rock SP granite rocks the size of cars and buses, explore the inner circle of paved path, Johnson Shut Ins SP is about 30 minutes away. mostateparks.com

Eminence, MO - Ozark National Scenic Riverways - Jacks Fork and Current Rivers, Alley Spring Mill and campground. Beautiful crystal clear shallow spring fed rivers to float (weekends crowded)-usually Class I and II, bluffs, springs, wildlife, wild horses. nps.gov

Missouri Trout Parks - Montauk SP, Bennett Spring SP (not too far off I-44, Roaring River SP. mostateparks.com

Marshall, IN - Turkey Run SP - beautiful hiking trails! Learned of this place on this website. turkeyrunstatepark.com

Marcia
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
Arcadia Valley in Missouri.

Dolly Sods Wilderness, WV.

Canyon Pines CG, Riggins Idaho.

Jessie Lea CG, Big Stone Gap, VA.

Two Rivers, WI

Brimley SP, Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
No campground, but Mammoth Rocks in western Kansas was surprisingly beautiful.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I certainly second Ricketts Glen, Goblin Valley and Kodachrome Basin.

These aren't large attractions with campgrounds, but in my opinion are worth a visit if you are in the area:

Hells Backbone,
Burr Trail,
Fishlake Scenic Byway,
Sago Canyon,
Bluff Fort,
Windmill Museum in Lubbock, TX,
Underground World in Ellinwood, KS,
Madrid and Cerillos on the Turquoise Trail,
Mariachi Sundays in Old Town Mesilla, NM.
Three Rivers Petroglypgh Site
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler