cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for a place in northern Arizona

kellygirl6767
Explorer
Explorer
We will be visiting Grand Canyon and would like to stay in a place that doesn't have RV's stacked on top of one another. We love staying at state parks but are not that familiar with the area. Anyone have any suggestions? It's for April 12-19.

Thanks in advance!
On the Rhoda again!
17 REPLIES 17

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
If possible, take a helicopter ride over the southern part of the canyon! They usually provide a DVD of your trip with what you said when the shoot over the canyon from the forest lands!

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
The shuttle system serves the CG area and you can take it to see various places rather than driving everywhere and trying to find parking.

The last few visits I've opted to go in the off season. It is really nice to drive along the rim, plenty of parking, no waiting in shuttle lines etc. Enjoying the views without crowds is great. Really love it in the winter when you can drive along the western drive (blocked off to cars rest of year). Canyon draped in snow is an awesome sight!
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
Lauren wrote:
Trust me on this - been there many times and know the area well - you want to be at Trailer Village. You do NOT want to be in Williams as it is - like has been said - 50 miles away of nothing to see drive and then you have the hassle of getting thru the gate and hopefully finding parking. If you truly want to SEE the G C you need to be there when you can witness sunrises and sunsets and have tram transportation right from your rv area.

x3

The shuttle system serves the CG area and you can take it to see various places rather than driving everywhere and trying to find parking.

100% correct.
John & Judy
2007 Winnebago Access 31C
2008 Ford Focus

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
And about a half day in Williams is plenty. ๐Ÿ™‚

But let's not digress from the topic.

You do not SEE the Grand Canyon going to the Rim for a few hours centered at the one spot.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:
He said he was going to the Grand Canyon.

If you want to see Williams, go to Williams. But don't go to Williams if you want to see the Grand Canyon!

Very true. I'm a bit different. When I travel to an area I want to see all there is in the area because in many cases I won't be back to that area for quite some time. Really depends on how much time one wishes to spend at the canyon itself. Especially if you love hiking you'll want more. For me, 1 full day is plenty.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
He said he was going to the Grand Canyon.

If you want to see Williams, go to Williams. But don't go to Williams if you want to see the Grand Canyon!
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:
Trust me on this - been there many times and know the area well - you want to be at Trailer Village. You do NOT want to be in Williams as it is - like has been said - 50 miles away of nothing to see drive and then you have the hassle of getting thru the gate and hopefully finding parking. If you truly want to SEE the G C you need to be there when you can witness sunrises and sunsets and have tram transportation right from your rv area.

True if you wish to stay only at the Canyon for several days. Great for many but not for all. After being at the canyon dozens of times over the years we now stay in Williams and love it. We spend a day at the canyon and the rest around Williams. TONS to see and do around the area. Just depends on the vacation you're wanting.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Lauren wrote:

x3

Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Lauren wrote:

Absolutely agree.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to check out TEN-X. Very convenient to the south rim and reasonable.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Executive wrote:
kellygirl6767 wrote:
Like I said, not familiar with the area, but to clarify, not more than 50 miles from the canyon, we have a 37 foot motor home, need full hook-ups including sewer if possible. South rim, and as far as either east or west side, doesn't matter.
Still researching but apprecite friendly input!

Thanks for the updated information. That given, your choices become much more limited. Over 5 million people visit the Grand Canyon every year, so there are only a limited number of camping opportunities. As a result of this huge number, the campsites are somewhat crowded. Most people see this venue as a viewing experience and not a typical "camping" experience. As a result, the campsites are closer together and facilities are limited.

That said, I believe your best bet, given your time constraints, is to try to book into Trailer Village. Once settled, you will not need any transportation. There is a very efficient bus system that is provided FREE for getting around the village and outlying areas. Please refer to the link provided below. While the spaces are not spacious by any means, they will provide you with adequate spacing to enjoy your stay. Be prepared, though, they provide you with a camping space, not a camping experience with big trees, fire pits etc. You will, however, enjoy your stay. Two caveats: The elk/moose will visit the campground so don't be alarmed. They're friendly. Secondly, do NOT put out your sewer hose unless you are using it. The ravens/crows will peck holes in it if you leave it out. If you use your imagination, you can get a picture of what happens when you pull the handle on the black tank...:E

Staying at Trailer Village will provide you with the most satisfying experience when visiting the GC. You're already within that park so the hassle of arriving at the gate each day is eliminated. The shuttle system is one of the most efficient we've experienced. Plan on taking sufficient water with you each day. Buying it from the concessionaire is expensive. Also, pack a lunch when you go. Nothing is more enjoyable than having a picnic while sitting on the rim overlooking the canyon...Hope this helps...Dennis

Grand Canyon Village Shuttle Service

Agree with this 100%. We stayed at Trailer Village in September. It was outstanding because everything was so convenient to the campground. The elk were amazing as well, along with the mule deer. just don't approach the elk and all will be fine.

Trailer Village:

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
kellygirl6767 wrote:
Like I said, not familiar with the area, but to clarify, not more than 50 miles from the canyon, we have a 37 foot motor home, need full hook-ups including sewer if possible. South rim, and as far as either east or west side, doesn't matter.
Still researching but apprecite friendly input!

Thanks for the updated information. That given, your choices become much more limited. Over 5 million people visit the Grand Canyon every year, so there are only a limited number of camping opportunities. As a result of this huge number, the campsites are somewhat crowded. Most people see this venue as a viewing experience and not a typical "camping" experience. As a result, the campsites are closer together and facilities are limited.

That said, I believe your best bet, given your time constraints, is to try to book into Trailer Village. Once settled, you will not need any transportation. There is a very efficient bus system that is provided FREE for getting around the village and outlying areas. Please refer to the link provided below. While the spaces are not spacious by any means, they will provide you with adequate spacing to enjoy your stay. Be prepared, though, they provide you with a camping space, not a camping experience with big trees, fire pits etc. You will, however, enjoy your stay. Two caveats: The elk/moose will visit the campground so don't be alarmed. They're friendly. Secondly, do NOT put out your sewer hose unless you are using it. The ravens/crows will peck holes in it if you leave it out. If you use your imagination, you can get a picture of what happens when you pull the handle on the black tank...:E

Staying at Trailer Village will provide you with the most satisfying experience when visiting the GC. You're already within that park so the hassle of arriving at the gate each day is eliminated. The shuttle system is one of the most efficient we've experienced. Plan on taking sufficient water with you each day. Buying it from the concessionaire is expensive. Also, pack a lunch when you go. Nothing is more enjoyable than having a picnic while sitting on the rim overlooking the canyon...Hope this helps...Dennis

Grand Canyon Village Shuttle Service
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Canyon Railway RV Park in Williams is run by Xantera, one of the largest Natl Park concessionaires. It offers pull thru sites, water, sewer and 30/50 amp service (cable tv too) It's prefect if you have a toad.
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!