cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for Recommendations

Donnoh
Explorer
Explorer
As a new retiree I'm looking to spend a couple of months in Florida from early to mid January to mid March. I don't want to stay in one place more than 2 weeks and would like to see different areas to see where I would like to stay longer term. Can someone recommend 4 or 5 RV parks that are decent to stay at and within a day or so drive from each other that would give me a flavor of whats available.

I'm not a big rig, or extravagant resort type of person, more of a state park kind of guy, but they all seem to be booked up. I really prefer the gulf coast part of the state as opposed to the Atlantic side and I really don't mind a little cooler weather, but the pan handle may be a little cooler at that time of year than I want.
12 REPLIES 12

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
We're in the same boat but we're looking to be snowbirds for the first time next year. We're finding (Even in Central inland Florida) we can't book a year in advance. We have to wait until Spring and we aren't guaranteed a spot. We're being told we can make a deposit now and be put on a list only. I guess the RV Parks wait to see if their current snowbirds are going to book for the next year before they head back North. The ones that don't, leaves a site open to rent to someone off that list. I'm finding it a difficult pill to swallow to send a deposit to 2-4 places only be put on a list but I guess that's how it's done.

Why not play it by ear and head to Florida, pick some small, less-congested areas and see how getting a RV site goes at the time? Especially if you go in Nov you'll get a site. Try for smaller out-of-the-way parks not the heavily advertised, expensive ones.

If you find you're having difficulty getting sites then head over to the next state. Do you really have to stay in one place for the whole season; especially when you don't know if you'll even like the place or the area? Mix it up the first couple years of snowbirding and you'll find that perfect spot.

We never made reservations but seemed to find good places. However, we liked to move around and explore. We got 'hitch itch' after a two-week stay. There's lots of beautiful country out there to explore.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
We're in the same boat but we're looking to be snowbirds for the first time next year. We're finding (Even in Central inland Florida) we can't book a year in advance. We have to wait until Spring and we aren't guaranteed a spot. We're being told we can make a deposit now and be put on a list only. I guess the RV Parks wait to see if their current snowbirds are going to book for the next year before they head back North. The ones that don't, leaves a site open to rent to someone off that list. I'm finding it a difficult pill to swallow to send a deposit to 2-4 places only be put on a list but I guess that's how it's done.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Hankjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Up until a couple of years ago we never had any trouble finding a campground during that period of time, though the last couple of years it's been more difficult finding a spot. We usually stay in County or State Parks and sometimes private CG. One yr it was going down the West side then over to the East side of Florida. One yr just the East side or just the West. Lately it'd been the Panhandle. Much depends on what you want to see and do while in Florida and if you want to just "Chill". Enjoy your adventure!!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
... and when you tire of Texas move over to Arizona. ๐Ÿ™‚ We tried Florida a couple times and just couldn't take the traffic, crowds, humidity and bugs. We tried Texas and places other than 'the Valley' were just fine. We like public parks; not RV parks. We tried New Mexico for winter and even the southern part is too cold. We love Arizona.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Just a note, and i personally experienced this full timing for years.

rvparkreviews is NOT even close to a complete list of CG's for anywhere! Their list is only compiled of CG's that reviews have been sent in.

They might list 4 CG's in an area when in actuality I found there could be as many as 20 CG's within the same area!

If you solely use rvparkreviews and/or woodalls/GS book to find CG's you will miss out on 'many', 'many' spectacular CG's.

And btw the reviews from these 2 sources are rarely correct. After just one month on the road using the woodalls/GS book, I threw it out in the first dumpster I could find.

From CG's that did not exist, phone numbers that didn't work, wrong directions and ratings. I consistently found 5 star rated CG's that were so bad I ended up staying in a rest area after getting to the CG and seeing just how bad they really were.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Here's tool for checking out RV parks in every state. All you have to do once at the website click on the state you're interested in and it will give you a list of cities in that state. You'll be able to find all kinds of campgrounds in the specific areas you're looking.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

I think you'll find plenty of RV parks with space available. When you get south of I-4 then you'll find some problems with extended stays. Remain flexible in where you go and how long you stay. The middle of the state, north or south, is better for finding availability.

We stay in Crystal River and our usual park, Rock Crusher Canyon, is usually very busy in February and March, but there are still vacancies for time to time. Check it out.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

Donnoh
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
As a new retiree I'm looking to spend a couple of months in Florida from early to mid January to mid March. I don't want to stay in one place more than 2 weeks and would like to see different areas to see where I would like to stay longer term. Can someone recommend 4 or 5 RV parks that are decent to stay at and within a day or so drive from each other that would give me a flavor of whats available...

If you are looking to be right on the ocean and/or near an attraction yes they will be booked.

But there are tons of CG's all over the mid central area of Florida that have openings all year round. And they are all within an hour+ drive apart from each other

You will find CG's with spots open in the mid north central area of Florida. Crystal River, Dunnellon, Ocala, Leesburg, Hommasasa, Bushnell, area, etc.

"Google these towns" for CG's, you will be surprised how many CG's there are. Not right on the gulf but all within an hour to it. And about the same distance to the East Coast beaches which are really nicer.

Emphasis on "google" these "towns" because you won't find them on those CG finder apps. I quickly found out I was missing out on 90% of CG's in my travels by just using CG review sites, woodalls, etc.

This area is also filled with incredible Springs and rivers that are so blue they look unreal and so crystal clear you can see right down to the bottom. Plenty of things to see and do in this area also. Many of the CG's are not resorts but they are real nice CG's there are a bunch of them in this area.

When I was a snowbird I 'never' made reservations. ALL the CG's usually keep one row open for 'traveling' RV'rs.

I would just pull in and reserve for just one night look around and if I liked it I would extend my stay. Once you are parked they let you extend the days. And if I really liked the place I would ask if they had any cancellations. They ALL always had cancellations where all I had to do was move to that site. They loved it because they lost no income waiting for someone to reserve. Some where 2 week cancellations some for months.

I've stayed in all the towns mentions above. I liked the fact that they were NOT snowbird destination CG's. Snowbird advertised CG's you will find they cram rv'ers in like sardines so they can make more money. Literately the few I did stop in there was barely one foot between MH's.

This wonderful CG area is one of our best kept secrets so shh don't tell anyone about it! :C

Thank you for your fantastic reply! Your reply is the kind of reply I wanted to get.

Donnoh
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt wrote:
If you find things too booked up come on down to the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, As far south as Miami and 1\3 the cost, a bit cooler. Nearly 500 parks to choose from & reservations not required at most. We are on our 15th season and love it.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm thinking for a few more hundred mile drive that might be the place to be. I somewhat feel put off by the Florida folks like I'm not worthy.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
As a new retiree I'm looking to spend a couple of months in Florida from early to mid January to mid March. I don't want to stay in one place more than 2 weeks and would like to see different areas to see where I would like to stay longer term. Can someone recommend 4 or 5 RV parks that are decent to stay at and within a day or so drive from each other that would give me a flavor of whats available...

If you are looking to be right on the ocean and/or near an attraction yes they will be booked.

But there are tons of CG's all over the mid central area of Florida that have openings all year round. And they are all within an hour+ drive apart from each other

You will find CG's with spots open in the mid north central area of Florida. Crystal River, Dunnellon, Ocala, Leesburg, Hommasasa, Bushnell, area, etc.

"Google these towns" for CG's, you will be surprised how many CG's there are. Not right on the gulf but all within an hour to it. And about the same distance to the East Coast beaches which are really nicer.

Emphasis on "google" these "towns" because you won't find them on those CG finder apps. I quickly found out I was missing out on 90% of CG's in my travels by just using CG review sites, woodalls, etc.

This area is also filled with incredible Springs and rivers that are so blue they look unreal and so crystal clear you can see right down to the bottom. Plenty of things to see and do in this area also. Many of the CG's are not resorts but they are real nice CG's there are a bunch of them in this area.

When I was a snowbird I 'never' made reservations. ALL the CG's usually keep one row open for 'traveling' RV'rs.

I would just pull in and reserve for just one night look around and if I liked it I would extend my stay. Once you are parked they let you extend the days. And if I really liked the place I would ask if they had any cancellations. They ALL always had cancellations where all I had to do was move to that site. They loved it because they lost no income waiting for someone to reserve. Some where 2 week cancellations some for months.

I've stayed in all the towns mentions above. I liked the fact that they were NOT snowbird destination CG's. Snowbird advertised CG's you will find they cram rv'ers in like sardines so they can make more money. Literately the few I did stop in there was barely one foot between MH's.

This wonderful CG area is one of our best kept secrets so shh don't tell anyone about it! :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
If you find things too booked up come on down to the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, As far south as Miami and 1\3 the cost, a bit cooler. Nearly 500 parks to choose from & reservations not required at most. We are on our 15th season and love it.
pawatt

Donnoh
Explorer
Explorer
happynow wrote:
At this point, you may have a big job ahead of you.Finding space during the height of the season is competitive.

Many people book same site year to year. Most made reservations many months ago. You want to start making phone calls now. Cancellations happen.

Many, if not all of the options that fall into your preferences are booked or almost booked.Suspect you will have more luck looking inland.

Others here may have better advice. Wish you luck!

I'm just looking for some recommendations of where to stay. I realize places get booked up, but people cancel everyday as well for a variety of reasons.

happynow
Explorer
Explorer
At this point, you may have a big job ahead of you.Finding space during the height of the season is competitive.

Many people book same site year to year. Most made reservations many months ago. You want to start making phone calls now. Cancellations happen.

Many, if not all of the options that fall into your preferences are booked or almost booked.Suspect you will have more luck looking inland.

Others here may have better advice. Wish you luck!
happynow

Steve and Carol