cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Midway campground in Big Cypress Preserve

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Suggestion, do not try to find this campground in the evening, long after it's gone dark, in the rain. The address took us to the welcome center. Saw a sign for midway, but never did see a road. Led to an interesting almost two hours trying to find a place to park for the night. Ended up in a rest area, and no, I didn't take a spot away from a trucker.
7 REPLIES 7

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you saw the sign for Midway, you were there.... there is only 1 sign and it's right at the entrance road as shown in the post above. Since you were at Midway, how could you travel 2 hours without finding a place ? It's 45 minutes to either Miami or Naples?

Anyway, I try to always get to my destination prior to dark.... sometimes issues prevent that. At least you found a place to rest... frustrating, been there /done that
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why didn't you overnight in the welcome center?
Puma 30RKSS

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know how far you went past the welcome center looking for Midway, but it's not hard to spot as the sign is on the side of US-41 and the campground is just a hundred feet or so off the road.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I've made that mistake too. I won't call it a rookie error, but in time you learn to be sure the address you have is for the CG.
This is particularly true for public parks that may have a lot of areas and a lot of entrances other than the CG.
Going to the wrong address in the dark and rain is the triple whammy!
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
This was about the destination as most of my travels while working are. The address they sent me was to the welcome center, not the campground.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
While I think we all get your point. Trying to find any CG in a remote area in the dark and rain can be difficult.
BTDT it's best to avoid night travel. As much as I try to avoid night travel, I do occaisionally find myself traveling at night.
One rule I have made for myself is to not arrive at a unfamiliar CG in the dark. If I'm familair with the place, I can get by in the dark. But if I am unfamiliar,I will not arrive in the dark.
Avoiding a night time arrival sometimes means delaying my departure until morning.
Note to self: Always plan trips to unfamilar places such that your arrival is during daylight hours.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Did you have the right address or Lat and Long digits?
Your right the dark of night and rain make travel difficult. That is why we always plan to be off the road long before sundown.
Eleven years fulltime and only once have we pulled in after sundown.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu