cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Missed the reservation boat

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Registration opened for the 4th of July weekend recently, and Ludington State Park and several others in the central Michigan region are sold out already... those Internet connected campers are fast on the draw!

Newaygo State Park shows almost completely open - anyone have site recommendations for a small trailer and possibly a tent?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
17 REPLIES 17

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
100% agree about LSP being way too crowded. I like going in the winter and spring... forget about summer and fall, too many people, many of whom seem to equate camping with letting their necks turn a nice red color.

For me it's being able to walk out of the RV and hike a trail or view some scenery... don't care much about hookups. With my Recpass I can boondock and still dump for free at the newly expanded local state park.

I had a good time last year at an NFS campground, Benton lake or something like that, not too far from Baldwin.

Gordon
Try Oxbow Park in Newaygo County. It's right on the River above Hardy Dam.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
100% agree about LSP being way too crowded. I like going in the winter and spring... forget about summer and fall, too many people, many of whom seem to equate camping with letting their necks turn a nice red color.

For me it's being able to walk out of the RV and hike a trail or view some scenery... don't care much about hookups. With my Recpass I can boondock and still dump for free at the newly expanded local state park.

I had a good time last year at an NFS campground, Benton lake or something like that, not too far from Baldwin.

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Orchard Beach State Park in Manistee. We've usually been able to get a site here when all other Lake Michigan state parks are full up.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are from Michigan but never stay in the state parks. We prefer smaller private parks with hookups. There are parks other than state parks in and around the popular locations. You may not be right on the beach, but you can go there all day if you wish. Ludington, Pentwater, Traverse City, Muskegon, Saugatuck, Holland etc.

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
for the original poster .....vacation station in Luddington is fantastic I would choose any day over Ludington State Park

the State Park is a pit .....way too crowded ,dirty sites, noisy

For the person what to do the trip to the U.P. and down to Michigan you will never need a reservation in the Upper Peninsula

there are so many campgrounds you will definitely find something

and if you go along the lake shore on the way back down head to where you going afterwards you'll find something along the lake shore...Enjoy.
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
garmp1 wrote:
Are all Michigan parks filled up that fast? I mean not only the 4th weekend, but any time during the summer. We are planning a trip from St Louis thru Wisc to the UP and down thru Michigan towards home. We are looking for places to stay and recommendations. We have a ton of variables: exact time of trip - not sure - June/ July, route thru Michigan, Western shore or mid state, or even Eastern state, just heading home. We figure we could be thru the state from the UP ins two or three days, staying site to site. If there's openings.
Any ideas/suggestions?

The west side of the state has the nicest beaches, I just love Lake Michigan. However, so does everyone else. If you're looking to get into a state park on or near the water at any time in the summer, you will have slim pickings or no choices at all.
If you drive in the middle of the state, you'll have more camping spot choices, but also less desirable summer locations. Everyone wants to be on the Great Lakes. You'll need to book early to have a true Michigan experience.

You won't need reservations for the UP at all.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Registration opened for the 4th of July weekend recently, and Ludington State Park and several others in the central Michigan region are sold out already!

Ludington sells out in minutes, like one or two minutes, not thirty. I tried for two years to get a site and only saw 1 site available. By the time I added it to my cart, someone else had taken it. I ended up bribing someone and they got me a site. The park itself was fantastic, but the sites were small and dirt.
Maybe try staying at a private campgound in town and going into the SP during the day? This is what I would do if I couldn't get a water site next time.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Weekends will also fill up much faster than weekdays. Still, it wouldn't hurt to get reservations in as soon as you possibly can.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
garmp1 wrote:
Are all Michigan parks filled up that fast? I mean not only the 4th weekend, but any time during the summer. We are planning a trip from St Louis thru Wisc to the UP and down thru Michigan towards home. We are looking for places to stay and recommendations. We have a ton of variables: exact time of trip - not sure - June/ July, route thru Michigan, Western shore or mid state, or even Eastern state, just heading home. We figure we could be thru the state from the UP ins two or three days, staying site to site. If there's openings.
Any ideas/suggestions?

Mostly it's the ones a few hours from a major city, via expressway. You should be ok in the UP. Depending on your needs, theres a lot of federal land to camp on for free or cheap in the North.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any ideas/suggestions?
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I feel your pain. The popular beaches like Pismo Beach, etc, in Calif sell out quickly in a few minutes for reservations on the 4th of July.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sure the cheaper fuels costs will have alot to do with the upcoming camper season...

We can make it to Gatlinburg TN SMOKY MTNS (450miles) pretty cheap now with gas being $2 a gallon...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
And why cancellation costs are so high is the abuse of the system. Many people will reserve for 2-weeks beginning in late June, just for the 4th of July and later cancel the June part.

I agree but unfortunately those who are not concerned with the cost can still get away with doing that and those of us who must value our cash cannot not.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
You might keep checking & snag a cancellation. Plans do change!
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT