cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Monument Valley and Redwood Forest in April

Mopar_Mudder
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about taking a family trip around the middle of April. Leaving Wisconsin on the 8th.

My concern is what kind of weather will we see at Monument Valley and Redwood Forest in northern California.
2008 Dodge Dually Mega Cab - Resitol Edition
1999 Jayco Designer 3710
12 REPLIES 12

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Fully agree with Gouldings at Monument Valley and Benbow KOA. Been to both - Monument Valley several times - and love them. Personally, I drive the road at Monument Valley - we did a tour once early on and it is a rough ride and not so great.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
tfdcc wrote:
We're considering this trip also. I'm not familiar with California, are the redwoods in the northern or southern region, or both?

two different kinds of Redwoods, Sequoia and Coastal.
Sequoias are huge in diameter while Coastals are taller.

Sequoias are in Western Sierras while Coastals are in Nor Cal coastal region.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Mopar_Mudder
Explorer
Explorer
That's for all the replays and camping info. We will prefer to have full hook ups but can do without for a few days if we had to. We would for sure drive the trail, Wich should be no problem as we have the tow vehicle to use for that.
2008 Dodge Dually Mega Cab - Resitol Edition
1999 Jayco Designer 3710

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
tfdcc wrote:
We're considering this trip also. I'm not familiar with California, are the redwoods in the northern or southern region, or both?

Redwood NP is in the North along the Coast.

Sequoia NP is in the Central part of the state between San Francisco and LA in the Mountains.

California NP's

Enjoy,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

tfdcc
Explorer
Explorer

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
I like landscape photography and on my 2 visits to Monument Valley, the best photos happens when there are a few puffy white clouds--that was in August with thunderstorms. Probably not going to happen in April--but go anyway!
For the redwoods, I have found it impossible to get a full photo of the trees. Looking at professionally made redwood photos--get the trunks with someone or something that is recognizable in the photo so the size is shown. The size of the trunks from trees that were cut down are really huge--again enjoy it all.

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Also, depending on what your towing, you don't need to take the tour of Monument Valley. Although I am sure the tour is very informative, and you get to ride on the open bed trucks. We decided to take the car, a Saturn Vue, on the dirt road of the tour (if you can call the rut and pockmarked dirt path a road) Had a blast traveling the day with friends. Stopped, saw the sights, felt the spirits of the mountains, it was really a fun day. We did see a couple of people trying to make the drive in their Corolla type cars...don't know what ever became of them, but you can easily loose an oil pan on the road. The 2wd Saturn took the roads fine. It would be a fun jeep drive. It still costs $20 to enter the Indian lands. Well worth it. Enjoy

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
kalynzoo wrote:
In Monument Valley your only real camping choice is Goulding's RV. .

But lots of dry camping within 40 miles

The tribe has a no-services campground very near the "action" area.
But they also have banned "flat-spotting" by non-tribal members in the rest of the reservation.

Of course there is Gooseneck SP, plus lots of BLM land outside the reservation area.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
kalynzoo wrote:
In Monument Valley your only real camping choice is Goulding's RV. .

But lots of dry camping within 40 miles
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
In Monument Valley your only real camping choice is Goulding's RV. Really very nice, nice restaurant, and Monument Valley is really indescribable. You will be glad you went. For the Redwoods, I really like Benbow Valley KOA. It is a lovely campground near Garberville. This is the part of the Redwoods you might remember from childhood Disney productions. Drive thru tree, Trees of Mystery, Redwood mobile home, etc. The weather at both locations is rather unpredictable. It could be dry warm and beautiful, it can be wet. You might even get a dusting of snow at Monument Valley. But I got to tell you the weather will be better than Wisconsin. Enjoy.

HPYHILM
Explorer
Explorer
You will see temps in the 60s for a high in both locations. Can be lots of rain that time of year for the N California coast. Should be a good time as not as crowded. Have fun.
Hpyhilm
NW Washington
2008 Monaco Knight 38PDQ

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
The northern California coast will be in the middle of spring at the end of April. Could have rain, fog, wind, sun - or a little bit of it all. Not too warm and not too cold. The redwoods will be awaiting your visit. That time of year is most enjoyable. The forests will be fresh - just bring rain gear.