Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
One day was more than enough for us.
I loved Gooseneck, my husband hated it.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
7ofus: The above view is now an official campground with marked sites. They also upped their price!

We also stayed at that spot - wonderful views of The Mittens.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

7ofus
Explorer
Explorer
This is the view from the campground on the reservation. One of our most favorite spots ever to park it for a couple of nights.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We found Monument Valley spectacular to tour, take photos, and buy some jewelry from a stand way out into the Valley ... but we didn't camp there.

However, for excellent comfort in the heat, out of the dust, and with a bathroom/refrigerator/etc. with us while touring the valley floor loop - we drove our small Class C on the valley floor's "not recommended for RVs" road. This made a tour of MV a wonderful event for us.

I wish that they allowed drycamping off the valley floor road for those who were willing to take their rig down there!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
For me, Monument Valley is a drive-through, stop for the day, interesting mostly because John Ford shot so many movies there. Ford fans can take a "locations" tour with some of the guide services.

For red rock/desert highlands country, I find the Moab - Green River - Grand Junction area a lot more interesting. But I'm a geologist, so what appeals to me may not appeal to you.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
CVD wrote:
BTW โ€“ there is a Navajo visitor center near the middle of the scenic area; I thought it be interesting for a short visit. I found the $20- entry charge excessive, didnโ€™t stop.

That's interesting. I may know where you are talking about. Was it on the left before you got to the Totem Pole? When my wife and I were there in '83, it was just a hogan with a family living in it but they sent a little girl, selling jewelry, out to stand in the middle of the road so we couldn't pass. It was a very uncomfortable few minutes.

Overall, I was very un-impressed with MV. But that's just me, only the Grand Canyon has exceeded my expectations. YMMV. ๐Ÿ˜‰

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

CVD
Explorer
Explorer
I drove through Monument Valley last month. It was a neat โ€œextra creditโ€ detour on my trip from Silverton to S. Calif. Well worth a couple extra hours of drive time, but I wouldnโ€™t consider it a destination.

BTW โ€“ there is a Navajo visitor center near the middle of the scenic area; I thought it be interesting for a short visit. I found the $20- entry charge excessive, didnโ€™t stop.

Cliff

1999 Itasca 34V DP
2000 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Honda CRV

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
There is a campground on the San Juan River a couple of miles west of Bluff where the boaters put in. Not as scenic as Goosenecks SP
I need some wild

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
This was our campsite at Gooseneck. Oct 2014.

And another of us in the "Parking Lot".
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're taking a tour - allow one day there. We drove ourselves and did it early morning and again toward evening for different lighting for pictures.

The drive isn't long and there's really nothing else to do there.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again

Texas_Two_Stepp
Explorer
Explorer
The two campgrounds at Monument Valley are forty-two a night, no hookups. We'll probably bite the bullet and pay it. How many nights should we stay to see it?
2015 Duramax 3500 dually 4x4
2013 Excel Winslow 31RSE
TST tire monitor
Magnum MS 2012 inverter/charger
3-135w solar panels
Tristar controller
Trimetric monitor
4-6v Trojan t105 batteries
B & W companion 3000 hitch

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We love to boondock but never saw the attraction of Gooseneck State Park. It's just a large gravel parking area with no designated sites. Also, now it costs $10 to overnight there.

Gooseneck State Park

Monument Valley has a new dry camping area overlooking the Mittens. Beautiful view. It, too, charges a fee - not sure of the price.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
dcason wrote:
Gooseneck state park is pretty neat.

In the movie Ft Apache, John Wane threw an empty whiskey bottle from this point.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
With your rig, I'd go with Gooseneck SP or come in the eastside of Valley of the Gods.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS