cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My First Winter In Yuma

Ruralgas
Explorer
Explorer
Well we just returned from our first winter in Yuma.
We rented a spot in the Foothills on a private lot.
This venture had its pros and cons.
For the pros:
We got a chance to check out various RV parks/resorts. This was good to get a first hand look and discussion.
We got the opportunity to get familiar with Yuma and the Foothills.
Found a very good fitness center.
Had good grocery shopping and fuel prices.
The rent on the place was very reasonable for power, water and sewer.
Found a couple good RV supply stores which helped out our stay.
Saw a couple good car shows.

For the cons:
Made to long of a commitment (5 months).
Staying on the private lot turned out to be very boring. Being at a park/resort with the amenities, people and activities would have been better.
Decided to drive back home (Alberta) for Christmas which turned out to be a challenge weather wise.
Sure can get windy with that darn blowing sand.

If we decide to go back south next winter (good Lord willing), I might look at the Mesa area? I think there would be more to do around that area?
If anyone can provide me with some personnel preferences for the Mesa area, please do so.
Thanks in advance.
18 REPLIES 18

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ruralgas wrote:
Been looking into the Val Vista park in Mesa. Seems like there's a lot of activities and a very good fitness center.
Also looks like the Superstitious Mall is close by as well as grocery stores.
Looks like there should be some areas that would have good hiking close by?
Phoenix has the Nascar and drag strip as well.
Anyway, thanks to those that have provided worth while info. It's much appreciated.
Garry

All the older parks (Val Vista is one, along with most Mesa parks) have narrow lot sizes. Think, built before slide outs! Had to be careful the truck door did not hit the MH next to us. Canyon Vistas is a newer park with 40w x 50-55 foot deep sites. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

bilmarde
Explorer
Explorer
If you like traffic and lots of people, Mesa is the place to be. 432,000 people in Mesa. Too many people and too much traffic for me.
2011 Ford F250
1998 Cari-Lite 31RK
1990 Chevrolet 3500 Dually
1995 Lance 945

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
We like Val Vista enough so that we purchased a park model here for our winter stays. You name it, you've got it in the park. Quick access to the Superstitions, lots of restaurants/shopping nearby, local Arts Centers in Mesa, Scottsdale, and Chandler are really very good, plus all of the activities at ASU, you can pick up the lite rail in Mesa to take to downtown Phoenix, and on and on.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
There are plenty of hiking areas near Val Vista. The Superstition Mountains have many, including from Lost Dutchman State Park. There are trails in Usery Maricopa County Park. Hiking trails won't be an issue and there is probably a hiking group in the park that goes out weekly.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Ruralgas
Explorer
Explorer
Been looking into the Val Vista park in Mesa. Seems like there's a lot of activities and a very good fitness center.
Also looks like the Superstitious Mall is close by as well as grocery stores.
Looks like there should be some areas that would have good hiking close by?
Phoenix has the Nascar and drag strip as well.
Anyway, thanks to those that have provided worth while info. It's much appreciated.
Garry

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
EsoxLucius wrote:
Tucson has much more going on.

Such as???? Chris

Tucson has much more going on than Yuma.

http://m.visittucson.org/content.cfm?page=events&menuid=3101&pageid=2303

http://tucsonhappenings.com/today.asp
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

Dano1955
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
corvettekent wrote:
You did not say what your hobbies are, what do you do at home to keep from getting board?.
Board games.

:S ๐Ÿ˜„

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
EsoxLucius wrote:
Tucson has much more going on.

Such as???? Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Tucson has much more going on. I find Mesa and the Phoenix area depressing.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
bjbear wrote:
Can highly recommend Canyon Vistas RV Resort in Gold Canyon. Just east of Mesa (10 minutes) at the foot of the superstition Mountains. Lots to do from cards to hiking to pickleball to you name it. Great facilities and great people. They pffer some deals in the fall so you can try it out to see if you like the place. There is a residents website where you can see some of the activities at www.mycanyonvista.com

What the bear said. We have been going to CVRVR since 2008. Great resort and great people. Chris

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt wrote:
Consider South Texas, Rio Grande Valley, non stop things to do, friendly rvers and locals, very reasonable cost. Warmer than AZ.

We are in the Rio Grande Valley in Mission, TX. We are currently at Mission Bell RV Resort. I highly recommend it. Very friendly Folks.
God Bless!

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Consider South Texas, Rio Grande Valley, non stop things to do, friendly rvers and locals, very reasonable cost. Warmer than AZ.
pawatt

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
Can highly recommend Canyon Vistas RV Resort in Gold Canyon. Just east of Mesa (10 minutes) at the foot of the superstition Mountains. Lots to do from cards to hiking to pickleball to you name it. Great facilities and great people. They pffer some deals in the fall so you can try it out to see if you like the place. There is a residents website where you can see some of the activities at www.mycanyonvista.com
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
corvettekent wrote:
You did not say what your hobbies are, what do you do at home to keep from getting board?.
Board games.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman