cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My Old Kentucky Home State Campground

GilliedogKiwi
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I stay at many many state and national parks with our 27' travel trailer. We are on our way home north from Florida and are staying here at the My Old Kentucky Home campground. We had prebooked a site for our travel trailer but when we arrived the site, although it stated it would be big enough for our travel trailer, however it was not (site 28). There was NO way to back the travel trailer into the site with our twin cab F150. We then looked at other sites and the only pull through available was right beside the dump station and garbage bin. This site was also so unclearly marked as to whether it was one site or two that we could not tell. We finally got into site #19 BUT only by disconnecting our travel trailer and backing the travel trailer in with our Parkit 360 tug.

On our second night after being in bed a little while, there was the most awful noise, it was like we were parked beside a main highway or interstate or being parked next to a row a semi trucks in a rest area. This morning I look out my window and see that there are two huge vehicle carrier trucks parked by the golf course with golf carts on them. It must have been them sitting there all night (or what seemed to be all night) with their engines running.

This has been a very disappointing National Park campground with very small campsites and the truck noise last night. It is now 7am and the trucks have off loaded or loaded the golf carts and they are finally leaving. This campground is not one that I can recommend to my friends and fellow campers. Something needs to be stated on the website that this campground is right beside Rte 49, at night this wasn't too bad.

There are so many wonderful things to see in this area and we have very much enjoyed our sightseeing trips. The facilities at the campsite are very good, clean showers/bathrooms, great water pressure and good electric hookups although some are a long way from the campsites. The campsite has WiFi.
KiwiNZ - On the Road Again...
7 REPLIES 7

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
The sites are set up a little odd, but it's just a nice little park. I happen to love state parks and COEs.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

Kentucky_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. We have stayed there two times and my sister has stayed there also and found it to be a nice quiet cg. We had no trouble getting into our site either time. I think you ran into some bad luck.

tracyb-oh
Explorer
Explorer
We have always had a great experience at this park. There are a few spots that might be tricky to get into but you can see all of them on the Kentucky State park website. I think you had just bad luck with the golf cart trucks. Usually this park is very quiet. We like how it is so close to Makers Mark.
Tracy and T
2017 Sanibel 5th wheel
2015 Dodge Ram crew cab long bed Cummins diesel

Dave_s_Wife
Explorer
Explorer
GilliedogKiwi true the sites aren't easy to pull into. We put our 29 ft. TT into site 3 with a long bed dually. It took quite a while but we did it! We stayed for about 9 days. Our friends who were traveling with us put a 39 ft 5r in spot 4 with a 5500 so it can be done. We had to buy an extension electrical cord and raise the back of the trailer higher than we ever have, but I would go back in a heart beat! We had the best time visiting the area doing the KY Bourbon & KY Wine trails, visiting the museums. Sometimes things that are worth it are a little tougher to get to!

Sheila aka...
Dave's Wife
2003 29 ft. Holiday Rambler Alumascape 5th wheel
'03 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
Dave & Me

docj
Explorer
Explorer
GilliedogKiwi wrote:

This has been a very disappointing National Park campground with very small campsites and the truck noise last night.

To correct one important point, this is a state park and not a national one. We happened to have stayed here and liked it, I'm sorry your stay wasn't as pleasant.

But, more importantly, if you have strong feelings about a park and want your opinion to be heard then post it on RV Park Reviews where it will be available to lots of people and not lost in the many threads on a forum.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at this c.g. a couple of times without any problems. Our M.H. is 31 ft. long and we have had no problems getting into campsites. The one thing we have noticed is a lot of the campsites might look level but in fact they are not. The sites are all paved.

Unfortunately you hit the day they delivered golf carts. Any other time that noise would not be problem.

This is a nice area and we would not hesitate to use this c.g. again.
Good facilities and reasonable rates.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
GilliedogKiwi wrote:
This has been a very disappointing National Park campground with very small campsites and the truck noise last night.

It is a state park.