cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

N Nevada/S Idaho - Jarbidge and Murphy Hot Springs Area

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Doing initial planning on a trip down to SE Idaho and N Nevada, interested in any comments or experiences in the Jarbidge, NV and the Murphy Hot Springs, ID areas. Looks like the roads (mostly gravel/dirt) are decent, maintained in the summer, and passable for a 34ft trailer and tow vehicle. We run lots of NF backroads in WA and OR, so are comfortable with rough roads!!

Info on the NF & BLM campgrounds in the area, along the Jarbidge River appreciated!! No reviews showing up on RV Park Reviews or Free Campsites. NF sites are the usual vague amount of info. Looking for personal reviews if you've been in the area.

Thanks in advance!!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles
69 REPLIES 69

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Dont worry about it, just go. There is plenty of riff raff in Elko to cover you if your not.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
No ruffled feathers here, I see where others are discouraging folks from going to areas. If you feel you don't want others in your neighbor hood then just don't reply to threads.Myself I don't even comment on my favorite spots.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize for any ruffled feathers!! This string was giving those of us interested in the area information we were asking for. Seemed the last few posts from others are trying to turn well meaning RV'rs away from the area. Those who have commented and asked questions look to be reasonable campers, aware of the difficulties, and not the riff raff some are worried about. But that's the way it goes sometimes.

Hopefully my lousy attempts at humor and sarcasm will not stop responses with usable and meaningful information on this wonderful area!

GB

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Now,now, I see this getting nasty,it was going fine, let's keep it civil.

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Please don't come to WA & OR with your rv, we have had fires too!! Leaves me more room to boondock in our mountains!!

Boy, ppine has painted a nasty overview of the area, and obviously is against any outsiders showing up in his territory. The "Murphy Complex Fire" was in 2008, and much was done by the BLM & Forest Service to rebuild the land. Yes, there will be visible fire damage still, and idiots will be problems anywhere.

Edited to remove any insensitive comments!!!! GB

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The country is remote and suffering from recent fires. The last thing it really needs is a lot of people in RVs with motorcycles and ATVS tearing up the landscape and scaring the wildlife. I would suggest going somewhere else.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
A lot of people think it is more like Hell.
I'm just on the other side of the state border. That country is beautiful.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Good, they won't show up.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
ppine wrote:
People need to realize that this is remote Nevada. There are few trails, trail heads, developments or services. It is a long way from the little isolated town of Jarbidge to the wilderness area. Most people in Nevada think of Jarbidge as the wilderness not the town site.

If you want to go hiking, go ahead. There is no guide book or named trails. There are a few main trails in the wilderness area but they have no names or signs. The recent fires have burned up a lot of it. A USFS campground will get you a picnic table and maybe an outhouse. This is going to disappoint most RVers. There is really nothing out there. If you are not serious about boondocking you will not like it.

Last winter was extremely wet and the roads got torn up by hunters with big horse trailers and RVs. It is open country with a lot of sagebrush even at high elevations. There is little water around in summer. The fires have taken most of the trees. It is not really a suitable place for an RV vacation, especially not now.

I agree with Dan .... it sounds like Heaven!

We don't need anything to do except look for rocks in the daytime, and in the evenings sit outside around the propane firepit eating S'mores or sit cozy inside reading books with a cold drink.

It also sounds very much like Earthroamer country ... bring it on! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
ppine, that sounds like Heaven!

There are some named trails on the National Forest website -- several near the town of Jarbidge. I am not sure they are suitable for us aging day hikers, though. For me, that is now the make-or-break issue. The jury is still out (or rather, the jury is still staring at topo maps).
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
People need to realize that this is remote Nevada. There are few trails, trail heads, developments or services. It is a long way from the little isolated town of Jarbidge to the wilderness area. Most people in Nevada think of Jarbidge as the wilderness not the town site.

If you want to go hiking, go ahead. There is no guide book or named trails. There are a few main trails in the wilderness area but they have no names or signs. The recent fires have burned up a lot of it. A USFS campground will get you a picnic table and maybe an outhouse. This is going to disappoint most RVers. There is really nothing out there. If you are not serious about boondocking you will not like it.

Last winter was extremely wet and the roads got torn up by hunters with big horse trailers and RVs. It is open country with a lot of sagebrush even at high elevations. There is little water around in summer. The fires have taken most of the trees. It is not really a suitable place for an RV vacation, especially not now.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, BizmarksMom! I was wondering about the Owyhee, too.... any favorite places you want to share?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
Looking at the area, I was intrigued by the deep, deep river canyons north of Murphy Hot springs. Anybody been up there?
I've hiked into some of them on fishing trips. I have not camped between Bruneau Dunes (nifty place) and Murphy Hot Springs. Do NOT get caught on the dirt roads when it's wet. Stay put until it dries out again. You'll wind up buried to the axle in clay before you know it. I've done more camping and wandering around on the Oregon side of the Owyhees, just because it's closer to home.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Heh! You can thank my tablet for some of that. I try to catch the mistakes before they post, but it's almost impossible sometimes.

Yep, the mileage is not bad. It's just slow driving. And I'm pretty cautious. I decided to go for it after learning about the RV park in town. I figured if other rigs could get there, I could too.