cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NASCAR Watkins Glen vs Pocono Raceway

PCronin68
Explorer
Explorer
I just went to Charlotte this past weekend for the second year in a row and stay in the infield. I want to try some place different next year and was thinking Watkins Glen or Pocono Raceway. I like watching the race from on top of the RV and would love suggestions on where to go and what area of each track to camp at. I noticed on TV in Watkins Glen RVs right at the fence line all the way around track and Pocono has a few fence line areas.
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 34b
12 REPLIES 12

PCronin68
Explorer
Explorer
yrusoslo wrote:
Loudon, if you can get a spot on the backstretch.

Been on that waiting list for years

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
yrusoslo wrote:
Nothing like Daytona

That was mostly true before the re-build and it is REALLY true now.

It kind of spoils you for some of the other tracks.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
PCronin68 wrote:
I guess others would be Richmond or Bristol which is similar in distance with Charlotte. I was thinking closer next year

I highly recommend both of those tracks....for the track and seating and concessions.

The economy camping at Richmond is excellent.
I think Bristol has spaces available on the adjacent drag strip and that would be much better than the other spaces which aren't really that good.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Community Alumni
Not applicable
PCronin68 wrote:
PackerBacker wrote:
Seen several races at both tracks and my preference is definitely The Glen. Pocono is simply too large and with only 3 corners, the sight lines are poor. At the Glen, we were always up by the inner loop and got to see lots of passing and action.

The Glen is also a much better camping experience with a ton of things to do.

What section? was it trackside and/or along fence

At Pocono we were along the outside wall fence between corner 2 & 3. At the Glen, we were at the exit of the inner loop in the infield.

Actually I would second the advice on going to New Hampshire; been there several times for both the summer & fall races and it's a good spectator track. Another great spectator track is the Monster Mile at Dover.

... Eric

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Watching the Charlotte race I noticed how spacious the infield was!! It looks like they gave everyone plenty of room! I would have really enjoyed that!
After camping at Fontana and Vegas, where they pack you in like sardines and you have just enough room between trailers to get in and out, Charlotte looked like a resort!
As with any road course, find a spot where you have multiple views or you can see a JumboTron..
Pocono looks really really spread out. Have not camped at either yet! Good luck!!

yrusoslo
Explorer
Explorer
Loudon, if you can get a spot on the backstretch.

yrusoslo
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing like Daytona

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
My vote would be the Glenn. Fence area near the end of the straight .

PCronin68
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
I assume that Massachusetts is home and you are looking relatively close by ??

I personally didn't like either of those tracks.
I "scouted" them with a bus package before taking the RV.
I probably won't be going back to either one.

From MA so I think Charlotte is far enough for a trip. I have been to Dover. I guess others would be Richmond or Bristol which is similar in distance with Charlotte. I was thinking closer next year

PCronin68
Explorer
Explorer
PackerBacker wrote:
Seen several races at both tracks and my preference is definitely The Glen. Pocono is simply too large and with only 3 corners, the sight lines are poor. At the Glen, we were always up by the inner loop and got to see lots of passing and action.

What section? was it trackside and/or along fence

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
I assume that Massachusetts is home and you are looking relatively close by ??

I personally didn't like either of those tracks.
I "scouted" them with a bus package before taking the RV.
I probably won't be going back to either one.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Community Alumni
Not applicable